Litterbox issues!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, so our Momma cat keeps peeing and pooping in the kittens litterbox even though she has her own, is there anyway to get her to stop going in their box?

Also, when is it safe to switch the kittens litter to a clumping litter?

Thanks,
ABK

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Alright, so our Momma cat keeps peeing and pooping in the kittens litterbox even though she has her own, is there anyway to get her to stop going in their box?

Also, when is it safe to switch the kittens litter to a clumping litter?

Thanks,
ABK
Hey ABK...unless you are concerned about the kittens not using the box...I wouldn't think there would be an issue with mom using the kitten's box. Perhaps she prefers the litter you are using in their box. From what I have read, the earliest it is recommended to switch kittens to clumping litter is 3 months of age.

Katie

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched my guys over to a clumping litter @ about 8-9 weeks, because i never saw they try to eat it, they knew what it was for by then,lol. How old are the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Hey ABK...unless you are concerned about the kittens not using the box...I wouldn't think there would be an issue with mom using the kitten's box. Perhaps she prefers the litter you are using in their box. From what I have read, the earliest it is recommended to switch kittens to clumping litter is 3 months of age.

Katie
Thanks for your input and help. I'm not really worried that they won't use the box I just don't want them getting into Misty's crap and making a mess of themselves. If anyone knows a way to keep her out of it I'm still open to suggestions.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

I switched my guys over to a clumping litter @ about 8-9 weeks, because i never saw they try to eat it, they knew what it was for by then,lol. How old are the kittens?
The kittens are just over 6 weeks. I just figured I'd ask the question now while I was already asking a question concerning the litterbox lol.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The concern isn't just about the kittens eating the litter, but they tend to sit in it sometimes and if their bums are wet, that litter will stick to it and hardenand clump right to their bottoms. It is very painful to remove it and I have seen kittens get infected behinds from it. I would not switch them over until they are a little older. Or you can just use a litter like Feline Pine or Yesterdays News and then you don't have to worry and your house will smell nice.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

The concern isn't just about the kittens eating the litter, but they tend to sit in it sometimes and if their bums are wet, that litter will stick to it and hardenand clump right to their bottoms. It is very painful to remove it and I have seen kittens get infected behinds from it. I would not switch them over until they are a little older. Or you can just use a litter like Feline Pine or Yesterdays News and then you don't have to worry and your house will smell nice.
We are actually using Yesterdays news at the moment. I don't plan on switching yet, I was just curious at what age was ok to do so. Thanks for the info though, I haven't heard of that before.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed our breeder has quite a set up for litter boxes. The kitten's are low with something like a table over it...so only a tiny kitten can get in and out...The mom's litter box is set up high so the kittens can't get to it. I am sure if you emailed her she could tell you how she does it. Their names are Deb and Brianne. They have been really wonderful in answering all my questions. http://www.usaragdolls.com

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

I've noticed our breeder has quite a set up for litter boxes. The kitten's are low with something like a table over it...so only a tiny kitten can get in and out...The mom's litter box is set up high so the kittens can't get to it. I am sure if you emailed her she could tell you how she does it. Their names are Deb and Brianne. They have been really wonderful in answering all my questions. http://www.usaragdolls.com
Thanks for the suggestion, I just might do that!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Momcats always use the kitten litterbox. The only way I know of to make it unattractive is to keep the litter level very low. Basically, I think even babies know not to get into the poopy areas, so as long as you try to keep it scooped often its all fine. And at 6 weeks, I'm surprised the babies aren't starting to get into the Mom's litterbox anyhow. They become such monkeys, they can get into anything!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When first introducing the litter box to kittens, it is recommended that Momma use the same box within sight of her kittens so she can teach them. This is how they learn to eat, use the litter, hunt ... everything they normally do as cats, they learn from watching Mom. Yes, instinct has a lot to do with it too, but to get the actual hang of it, they observe and mimic.

If you scoop frequently, they shouldn't get into any messes if Momma uses their box every now and then.