I'm going to look into getting my cats chipped, and I wanted to know -
how much does it cost
and is one company beter than another?
Thanks to anyone with advice.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had pets chipped, and it's a fairly simple process. The vet will charge a fee for implanting the microchip; I've heard prices $15-30 for that. Then when you send the cat'[s information in you will have to pay a fee to that company as well (I think ususally around $10-15).

I've dealt with 2 different microchip companies, HomeAgain and Avid. I liked the fact that HomeAgain lets you do a lot of things online, like register your pet and update their information. Also, I had a TON of misspellings when I got my Avid confirmation letter back for Delilah's microchip, but it just seemed like too much of a pain to get it fixed.

Good for you for getting them chipped! I know it gives me peace of mind knowing that if my kitties wandered away, they will never have to linger in a shelter or animal control facility. Microchips are great!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, some city animal shelters will chip your pet for a reasonable price. In my city it's $25.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I went and asked the vet. It's $58 here in Ontario, and I think that's an ok price, so we'll be getting it done on Monday.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have microchip clinics one a month. The cost is 25 dollars, that includes registration.

All of my cats have been adopted through the Humane Society, so they were microchipped with the adoption.

My dog however, was microchipped when I had him neutered and I believe the fee was 45 dollars.

AVID and Homeagain, are the two major microchip companies out there.

I am not sure I favor one more than the other.

I do know if some radom person walking on the street calls Homeagain, they will not give you owner info. I am not sure AVID has the same policy. When I call them they are pretty forth right giving owner info to me. ( My job is to trace all microchips on pets that come through the shelter, this is how I know.)

Just remember though, microchips are only as good as the information kept on them. So if you move, change your phone numbers, make sure you notify them first!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid $13 to have Peaches microchip placed at the humane society. It was half price because I adopted her from them. I didn't have to pay extra to register them. It was all included.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All six of my cat were microchipped with AVID several years ago. I have no expirience with Home Again. It was a pain to correct some info when I initially registered my cats, and there is no online management. You have to call them to update the info each time you move and there is a small fee. When we move in 2002, info updates were free for active duty military and $6 for others. Each year when they have their annual exams, i request that they be scanned to verify the chip is still good.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's quite the variation in price, just like with neutering. Canada tends to be more expensive than the States, and vets more expensive than shelters.
I'm not sure which company my vet uses. I do know that you do everything online, which is what I'm after.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
18 for Avid chips by a low cost clinic... 35 for my vet

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the chipping went well today. Poor boys packed such a sad in the vets office! I've registered online and am pleased with everything so far. It cost 458 per cat + GST. the company is 24PetWatch and the vet said they're one of the larger companies and their chip can be read internationally.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were both microchipped from the humane society. Milo we paid $25 to adopt him and Zebra $50. 24petwatch is the company they use and I think its great. Especially because they give you the yellow tag (I posted a picture of one below) that has their id number and the website/phone number and you can go online to update their information.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our Humane Society also does low cost microchipping through 24Petwatch. Ours were $10.00 each (thank goodness since I have 6 cats!). Our local vets charge $40.00 each -- I'm not sure what brand they use.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's going to be a good idea to wait till I move to get my new kitten microchipped. Chester came with his chip from the humane society, but my new kitten is a rescue so she doesn't have one. The local places all charge around $100 for a chip. I'm thinking once I get closer to Toronto the prices might go down. Otherwise I'll have to save up for it. *groans*

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Well, the chipping went well today. Poor boys packed such a sad in the vets office! I've registered online and am pleased with everything so far. It cost 458 per cat + GST. the company is 24PetWatch and the vet said they're one of the larger companies and their chip can be read internationally.
I can't find the article now, but there was one in "Cat Fancy" a while back saying that the U.S. and Canada would be switching to the international standards, so you've saved yourself getting them rechipped.
Here it runs €15 - €20 (USD 18.77 - 25, CAD 21.37 - 28.50) for the chip and registration.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I can't find the article now, but there was one in "Cat Fancy" a while back saying that the U.S. and Canada would be switching to the international standards, so you've saved yourself getting them rechipped.
Here it runs €15 - €20 (USD 18.77 - 25, CAD 21.37 - 28.50) for the chip and registration.
If the new microchip costs $458 + GST I won't be getting our re-chipped. That is ridiculous!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If the new microchip costs $458 + GST I won't be getting our re-chipped. That is ridiculous!
That's outrageous! Maybe she meant $4.58? Or $45.80?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That's outrageous! Maybe she meant $4.58? Or $45.80?
Good lord, I certainly hope so! I can't imagine any sane reason for it costing $458!!!

Sylorna - I agree you'll find somewhere more reasonably priced in the GTA.

At least it's a one-off cost. I spent a total of $585 dollars that week at the vets.
And that was for 2 healthy cats!!!

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mskitty666

All six of my cat were microchipped with AVID several years ago. I have no expirience with Home Again. It was a pain to correct some info when I initially registered my cats, and there is no online management. You have to call them to update the info each time you move and there is a small fee. When we move in 2002, info updates were free for active duty military and $6 for others. Each year when they have their annual exams, i request that they be scanned to verify the chip is still good.
I am getting Holly chipped soon and I think this is a really great idea