Need advice - feral mom and kittens

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Sorry this is so long!)

I've been volunteering with our TNR group for two years now, but have never done any trapping and really need some advice regarding a feral mom and her two kittens. (Not getting much support/advice from the coordinator of our group since she's overwhelmed at other sites)

Here's the situation: Last night, a family I've been trying to help was able to trap a tortie they've been feeding lby luring her into a kennel with wet food. She's the primary breeder at the site and they estimate she's at least five litters of kittens. Most have died. Their best guess is that her last litter was born in late July or early August. They hadn't seen the two kittens since early Sept. and figured they didn't make it. Last weekend, though, another neighbor that feeds saw a gray/white kitten emerge from the basement window of an abandoned house nearby. She also said the tortie hangs out there. After finding out the tortie had been trapped, I spoke to this same neighbor who said she's now seen two kittens. She puts their age at about 10-weeks-old, which would be about right.

There's also the chance the tortie may be pregnant again. The feeders are basing this on her looks and behavior (she actually becomes very friendly with them while pregnant), so now that we have her I want to get her to the vet ASAP. My question is really involving the kittens. Obviously, now that we know they're alive the plan is to trap them too. Given their age will they be okay without mom until they're trapped? Since no one knew about them, they weren't being fed, so they were still relying on mom for that. The feeders are more than willing to put out food for the kittens, but I can't help but worry about them.

Like I said, I'm not getting much help from the TNR group I volunteer with, so
I contacted another person I know who traps, but she's been tied up with work. Now that I know about the kittens, I want to get them ASAP. I am set up to foster them and the tortie and have the resources to get them fixed. The issue is trapping.

I'd really appreciate any advice/guidance you guys can offer. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good new - the person who's going to help me trap has come through and we're going for the kittens this afternoon. Please send vibes we can get the little ones. Thanks!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eileen, I just caught this.........I'm so glad that your going to try and trap them. LOTS OF GOOD VIBES headed south my friend!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eileen....those precious kittens will be in my thoughts this afternoon.

I am sending lots of vibes that you succeed in removing them from harm's way.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck this afternoon Eileen!

To answer your question, the kittens would be OK on their own at 10 weeks. Most likely, the mom-cat has been taking them to eat when humans aren't around. So they know where the food is, although they may be very scared without her around to guide them yet.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Good luck this afternoon Eileen!

To answer your question, the kittens would be OK on their own at 10 weeks. Most likely, the mom-cat has been taking them to eat when humans aren't around. So they know where the food is, although they may be very scared without her around to guide them yet.
Thanks, Heidi.
(and everybody!) I figured they'd be okay, but a little reassurance never hurts. The person who's helping me trap did express concern that without mom they might wander off and get hit by a car or something, but fortunately it's a dead end street. Her advice, if we can't trap them this afternoon, is the have the feeder start putting food near the basement window of abandoned house, so they get used to it being there and stay in one place. She's afraid standard traps are going to be too big, so was going to try to borrow a kitten trap for this afternoon. If not, she's thinking of placing food toward the back of a large carrier to lure them out and in. She's also bringing a net if needed.

This is all to me, so I'm going with her advice. Let's hope it works! Thanks!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes and prayers, everybody.

Got home from the site about 30 minutes ago and got the tortie (her name's Little Ma) set up in the garage. Was going to put her in my spare bedroom, but since I'm going to transport her to vet in the kennel she's aleady in, seemed less stressful for her to just leave her be for now. She's scared, and hisses when I reach into clean the kennel, but is much calmer than some other ferals I've dealt with.

I should add, in case Katie (the young woman who trapped Little Ma) reads this, that she did an awesome job and I'm grateful for her help.

No luck trapping the kittens, but we did catch sight of one and there's definite evidence that they're staying in the basement of the abandoned house. The trap is set and Katie is going to monitor it tonight and tomorrow and let me know if we get the kittens. If not, we'll keep trying until we do.

That's it for now. Thanks again, guys. You're the best!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checked in with the neighbors. No luck trapping overnight, so we'll keep trying for the kittens.

Meanwhile, I made a spay appointment for Little Ma for Friday. Keep your fingers crossed that she's not already pregnant again.

Thanks!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Just checked in with the neighbors. No luck trapping overnight, so we'll keep trying for the kittens.

Meanwhile, I made a spay appointment for Little Ma for Friday. Keep your fingers crossed that she's not already pregnant again.

Thanks!
Congrats on catching Little Ma. I would go ahead with the spay even if she is pregnant.

Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Congrats on catching Little Ma. I would go ahead with the spay even if she is pregnant.

Katie
Thanks, Katie. Going ahead with the spay would be my first choice too, but the coordinator of our TNR group doesn't believe in aborting kittens. I don't know how to get around this.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on trapping little Ma!

As to the spay.... any way to ask the vet just not to tell you (anyone) if she's pregnant or not? I know they usually charge more if they're pregnant - is the TNR group financially responsible for the spay? If so - then I don't really see any way around it. But if not, then I don't see why she would have to know one way or the other.

Bless you for doing this and hope those kittens start turning up in the trap!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Congrats on trapping little Ma!

As to the spay.... any way to ask the vet just not to tell you (anyone) if she's pregnant or not? I know they usually charge more if they're pregnant - is the TNR group financially responsible for the spay? If so - then I don't really see any way around it. But if not, then I don't see why she would have to know one way or the other.

Bless you for doing this and hope those kittens start turning up in the trap!
Thanks so much!
No luck on the kittens today either. The feeders are going to put out food by the window where the kittens emerge tonight and tomorrow to draw the little ones out, then we'll try trapping again over the week.

Regarding Little Ma, I originally thought the TNR group would be financially responsible for the spay, but that's changed. So, as long as the vet feels it's safe for Little Ma, we'll go ahead with the spay on Friday.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My thoughts are with you, Mama tortie and the kittens you are trying to trap Eileen.
Come on babies....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Eileen, haven't really been around the last couple days, but I've been thinking about you and this situation, you know you have my complete support in all your decisions!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dropped Little Ma off to be spayed this morning with the intructions to do what's best for her. That's what's most important.

Meanwhile, one of the neighbors called me last with news of a kitten sighting!
She's been putting food outside the basement window and saw a miniature Little Ma helping herself yesterday afternoon. Still going ahead with plans to trap her and the other kitten who's gray/white, this weekend. Keep those vibes coming that we get those babies!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I dropped Little Ma off to be spayed this morning with the intructions to do what's best for her. That's what's most important.

Meanwhile, one of the neighbors called me last with news of a kitten sighting!
She's been putting food outside the basement window and saw a miniature Little Ma helping herself yesterday afternoon. Still going ahead with plans to trap her and the other kitten who's gray/white, this weekend. Keep those vibes coming that we get those babies!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just heard from the vet's office. Little Ma wasn't pregnant. What a relief!

I'll be picking her up later this afternoon, give her few days to recover and release her back at the site. Then it's on to trapping those kittens.

Thanks, guys, for your support. Please keep the vibes and prayers coming for the little ones.