Where can I buy Lysine powder?

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sick of crushing up tablets!Is there anywhere I can buy it in the already powder form? How much do you all give a day? Thanks!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give 500mg per cat.I haven't seen it powered in stores. So I buy the pills and crush them. I did a search online just type in Lysine powder and it shows alot of online sites to buy it from.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just copied my post from another thread.

Originally Posted by tru

For anyone that uses the , L Lysine Powder
I found it online and bought it by the pound when I had a lot of ferals feeding.

I was never able to crush one of those pills and using the capsules for so many cats was rather costly, so I went in search of.

I just phoned the vets office and they are going to get a couple tubes of the gel for me to pick up the next time I go in. It cost more through them, but when you figure shipping it all evens out.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I just copied my post from another thread.
I bought a little gizmo from Wal Mart to put the pill in to crush it and it works really good.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy Twinlabs brand of L-Lysine, 500 mg capsules - easy to open up and pour out the contents into wet food, which is how I give this.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not know about this....
Why do you give a Lysine supplement to your kitties?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I do not know about this....
Why do you give a Lysine supplement to your kitties?
To boost their immune system. For many of us that tend to outside ferals and strays, the L-Lysine helps them ward off illness.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's recommended for use with cats having a history of herpes virus or suspected of.

I personally would use it (yes, I'd ask my vet) with any cat with a chronic eye goo or sneezing issue. Per my veterinary opthamologist, not for use in kitties with crf, but sorry, don't recall why. So......yes, best to check with your vet before using, imo.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=687

I ordered this is this ok? It says 1-2 teaspoons per 50 LBS of body weight... how muc hshould i mix in with the cats food
What you really need to know (and frankly, I hate it when a site does not give specific info) is the number of milligrams those 1-2 teaspoons equals. When the container arrives it has to have that information on there, and you can figure it out from there - if your vet wants you to give 500 mg of lysine per cat, take the amount of milligrams a teaspoon represents - which is what I believe you will find the label will tell you - and do the math from there x your number of kitties.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I assume you guys are just mixing the powder in with their food, right? Or do you mix it with something and feed it to them as a paste?

My vet recommended that I give my kitties some, the kittens because they have FIV and Maui because he has been getting a lot of URI's... she said this will help him the most probably. Or at least we'd see the most improvement- probably because the kittens are already fine...

Anyway- they all love the gel and argue over who gets to lick it off my finger first! I gladly give this to my kitties knowing it will help keep them healthy, and from what I've been reading a lot of people swear by it!

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

So I assume you guys are just mixing the powder in with their food, right?
Yup. I also buy the tablets, and just use a pill crusher. Neither of my cats notice/care that it's in their wet food. However, some of the cats at our rescue group don't like it- they use the already crushed powder. I don't know if there's a reason why they don't like it- could be personal preference.

In any case, I figure the amount I spend on lysine is waaaaaayyyy cheaper than a vet bill for another herpes flare-up!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

In any case, I figure the amount I spend on lysine is waaaaaayyyy cheaper than a vet bill for another herpes flare-up!
Oh I can believe that!

I'm excited to see how they do on it!

tlea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes,.It does work pretty well,...I have had to just crush up the pills as its alot more cost effective for me,...lol,..I also take 1 of these to prevent my fever blisters from returning,....lol,...TLEA