Black Lab Dragged Down Road In Texas

friend4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I have a pastor friend of mine in Texas with whom I correspond with on a regular basis..Thought you might have seen or should view this news story. My friend wrote me and informed me that his sister has adopted this lab. How could anyone in their right mind do such a thing !!!!

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....4137e0a4.html

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just aweful!!!! Poor little Lucy!! I'm glad she was at least taken to the vet by a good samaritan. You mentioned that your friends sister adopted her? How is she doing now? Any updates of that poor doggie?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friend4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Starry...This just happened today!! I just now received another update. Not much on the dogs condition but apparently they are running the story all over and donations are coming in to help with Lucy's care. There is a video attached to the article. Lucy looks like such a sweet doggie.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people will get theirs when their time comes!!!Sick people are STUPID!!
Sending prayers the dog makes it and is able to thrive.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Friend4Life

Hi Starry...This just happened today!! I just now received another update. Not much on the dogs condition but apparently they are running the story all over and donations are coming in to help with Lucy's care. There is a video attached to the article. Lucy looks like such a sweet doggie.
Thanks for the info! (by the way- your animals are adorable in your siggy
). I was soo sad when I read Lucy's story- at least now everyone is aware of the situation and hopefully her story will get out and prevent another horrible repeat of things like that. I'm glad she has found a new loving home
I hope all goes well with that babys recovery! Seems like many people are donating and want to help- that is wonderful news.
Thanks for the update!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is awful! In the article, it said that she had a small boy with her too. Can you imagine what she is teaching that kid?!
It's bad enough having this woman abusing animals, but she is teaching someone else those same morals!? I hope that child has someone to teach him morals.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These stories of abuse never cease to amaze me. The ability of a human being to be so inhuman is what amazes me.
Poor Lucy! I'm so glad to hear that people were touched by her story, and are opening their hearts, home, and wallets to help an innocent in need.

I'll move this to SOS, even though it isn't about a feline.

sheascavies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a horrible story. How could anyone do that to an animal!!?? Glad to know she is doing well though.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

This is awful! In the article, it said that she had a small boy with her too. Can you imagine what she is teaching that kid?!
It's bad enough having this woman abusing animals, but she is teaching someone else those same morals!? I hope that child has someone to teach him morals.
Most likely, she was emotionally abusing that child by forcing him to watch something like that happen.

Abusers often threaten or hurt animals because they know their victim loves the animal; it is a way to teach the victim a lesson: "No one loves you; no one cares about you; I am in complete control over you; if you want approval or love, you will have to get it from me, and I am a hard master."

I know what this is like; it is shockingly common.

Abuse is, at its core, about control... subjugating a victim's mind and will and emotions. And if it takes dragging a dog behind a pickup truck, then that is what an abuser will do.

I hope they catch her; and I hope they find that young boy a better place to grow up than with a sadistic woman like that.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Callista

Most likely, she was emotionally abusing that child by forcing him to watch something like that happen.

Abusers often threaten or hurt animals because they know their victim loves the animal; it is a way to teach the victim a lesson: "No one loves you; no one cares about you; I am in complete control over you; if you want approval or love, you will have to get it from me, and I am a hard master."

I know what this is like; it is shockingly common.

Abuse is, at its core, about control... subjugating a victim's mind and will and emotions. And if it takes dragging a dog behind a pickup truck, then that is what an abuser will do.

I hope they catch her; and I hope they find that young boy a better place to grow up than with a sadistic woman like that.

When I was a kid,It got to the point where I had to stop showing I loved the 'family' dog because I knew she would get beaten just to hurt me.

Unfortunately the 'mothers' venom and sadism has probably already done irrepairable damge to that little boy.

I pray they do catch her,and hopefully the little boy will get some help to get over his abuse.
Now the dog is in a good home the evil 'mother' can't use the dog to hurt him,and he may just feel that now he can talk to a teacher or somebody about it....and get that 'mother' locked up.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified for that little boy! What would he have to do before his mother ties him to the back of the truck or .....
I hope Lucy heals quickly and justice for her tormentor! (same should be done to her)

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I am terrified for that little boy! What would he have to do before his mother ties him to the back of the truck or .....
I hope Lucy heals quickly and justice for her tormentor! (same should be done to her)
I hope they catch the "woman" so she can't hurt the boy anymore! I can't imagine how much pain and psychological damage he experienced from this incident. I can't help but wonder about other abuse he has been subjected to and what abuse he will be subjected to in the future if he is not removed from her custody.

I guess the shock from seeing such an extreme act of cruelty prevented the witnesses from getting a license plate number.

I'm glad that now Lucy will get the happy life she deserves!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friend4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More news on Lucy's recovery. Go to http://www.rbf-mckinney.org to see updates on Lucy at the bottom of page. Hear P.J. Varassi talk about what happened to Lucy, how they found her and how's she doing today.
You can hear P.J. when you click on More Video Links on Lucy From Around Texas, then the link KNTU-FM-Suspect sought on Ellis Dog Dragging. There you will hear a audio clip from P.J. There is a $5k reward to find this culprit. Hear the whole story!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... looks like she's doing better.

Here's the Halloween update from that web site:

LUCY UPDATE (10/31)

Lucy is such a joy and we are so lucky to have Lucy in our family. She is such a delight. Lucy is physically progressing well. The two bandages on her front paws have been removed and they are rough to the touch, but she still has her rear legs in bandages and will probably stay on another couple of weeks. She still sees the vet twice a week and will continue to do so until all the bandages are off. At that time, she will be able to have the routine shots and be spayed.

She has become quite the "puppy" with the usual puppy antics and energy level. Last week she decided to take a dip in the SPA (she enjoyed it!) and we ended up in an extra vet visit for wound care. Another funny thing she did late last week was put all four paws (yes including the bandaged ones in the water bowl and SAT in it and gave us the “Aren’t I cute?” look.) She enjoys running (YES RUNNING) in the enclosed dog area. We have started playing "fetch" with the ball and (what is left) of the Frisbee and her favorite thing is trying to jump in the SPA for her "unapproved water activity". Interestingly, she rarely barks unless there is something that has caught her attention.

She has decreased her desire to chew the bandages off (this was a substantial problem until this week) and Lucy has finished her course of antibiotics a couple of days ago.

As soon as the bandages are removed and the vet approves it, we are going to take her down to the horse barn for a look (or accurately a smell). There are a multitude of new experiences awaiting her there!

Not even our son can console her. Considering what Lucy has been through, this is not surprising. We understand the destruction of property that has occurred resulting from the separation anxiety is not all that uncommon with Labs. Previously we noted (in the 10/23/06 update) that she seeks out human companionship and must be touching you at all times, even at night while asleep. As best we can discern this may have stemmed from living outside with limited human attention and signaled what is most probably the canine anxiety disorder. We will probably end up conferring with an animal behaviorist soon.

She was placed on medication for the anxiety disorder and we are working with her daily on behavior modification and purchased specific toys noted to combat anxiety and to re-focus / re-direct her attention from myself or husband not being with her. We have begun to see progress since we started the medication and behavior modification and are up to approximately 15-20 minutes of separation at this point.

She is now feeling more confident about seeking out new places in the house to lay. Some of her favorite places include the couch, MY CHAIR, our bed and on the landing of the (inside) back stairs. I believe she likes the stair landing because she has a clear view of both the upstairs and downstairs. She immensely enjoys her new KONG toy and rawhide chewies. She can eat a couple of chewies in a day. She doesn’t like the “monster” chewies, she prefers the smaller ones she can place between her front paws. Another entertaining thing she does is when one of my dogs has a chewie, she waits until the dog walks away from it, runs over - grabs it, returns to her original place and lays on top of it. When the other dog returns, she looks so disinterested and innocent when the other dog returns and begins looking for the chewie, you have to laugh.

Lucy continues to react to specific commercials (ie Corona beer) stopping what she is doing to stare at the TV usually with animal/bird sounds. She still reacts to animals (dogs and female humans) in pain with us having to mute the sound out on the TV and comforting her to reduce her reaction.

Dietary wise, we continue to build her up and she is on Science Diet 2.5 to 3 cans a day and some dry Science Diet to help resolve her dry skin.

Donations are still being accepted for Lucy by VCA DeSoto Animal Hospital at 200 N. Hampton Rd at Desoto, Texas 75115. The Varrassi Family is asking ALL DONATIONS be sent directly to VCA and NOT given to any individuals.

Thank you again for allowing me to provide an update and Happy Halloween.

PJ Varrassi
Go Lucy!!

pjv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PJ Varrassi here, the family who took Lucy to the vet on October 12, 2006 after she was drug behind a pickup in Red Oak Texas.

After reading the numerous articles you have, I would like to add my two cents worth. As many readers are aware there are many published studies that clearly show that people who abuse animals also abuse humans. The only way to stop this vicious cycle is to strengthen the animal cruelty laws and STRONGLY ENFORCE THE ONES WE HAVE. To not do so is to imply we accept the status quo.

The Ellis County Sheriff's Department is currently still investigating this vicious act against Lucy. The SPCA of Texas and HSUS have joined together to offer a $5,000 reward for the apprehension and conviction of the individual who did this. The person responsible needs to be brought to justice if not only for Lucy's sake but for the sake of the 8-9 year old boy who was with her. What message did she send this child? Was it if you make a mistake instead of facing up to it or just cover it up? Or was the message to the child, if you get sick or hurt I will dispose of you too? Either way, this is NOT the message we should be sending to the next generation. My family and I have worked for at least 15 years in various animal rescue groups in Atlanta, GA and now in DFW. We need to be politically active to ensure the legislatures KNOW, without question, the direct link between adnominal abuse/neglect and human abuse/neglect and that we ARE NOT WILLING TO STAND BY and allow this travesty to be treated as a misdemeanor crime.

Lucy is doing much much better but she still has her back legs wrapped in bandages. Not to be surprised, she does have some behavioral issues we are working on.

Lucy has an email address and she is sharing a web site with her "uncle". Please feel free to visit her story at www.RBF-Mckinney.org Lucy's e-mail is [email protected]

PJ and Lucy

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! This is an honor... thanks for posting.

You can see the way we respond to animal cruelty here, and be assured that we are the last ones to allow or ignore it. I imagine that there are enough of us here, in any case, that our votes and volunteer work and fostering and "spreading the word" can make a difference; and there are even more animal lovers who don't visit TCS.

Pet Lucy for us... we think she's a very brave girl.

pjv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again .... I don't know if this is proper place for this, I would like to add that Lucy came into our lives just days after a stray/ferel cat I was trying to coax into the house was brutally murdered/mauled to death on our own land by a neighbors three roaming dogs. RADAR had only been with us a month or so. He appeared in our fenced area when he was about 6 weeks to 2 months old with a badly bloated belly from malnutrition or parasites. We had been working with him and trying to gain his trust so he would come inside the house. Unfortunately, he already had learned the trust our family dogs and would lay with them outside and must have figured the neighbors dogs were just as friendly. They weren't.

So RADAR - I know you are in Kitty Heaven and this post is for you. (and if I could figure out how to put your kitty picture here, I would post it!!)

Love,
Mom, Dad and all your brothers and sisters.

pjv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am SO GLAD I found this site. I have been taking in strays and fostering for various animal organizations for more than 15 years. I was pleasantly surprized with the out pouring of love for Lucy. It renews my faith in mankind.

pjv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On one of the posts, someone was looking for no kill shelters in Atlanta GA. I used to foster for Forsyth County and I love them. They are the best people!! Here is their info.

Shelter Address:

4440 Keith Bridge Road

Cumming, Georgia

Main Phone Number: 770-887-6480

Driving Directions:

400 North to Exit 17 (Hwy 306 also known as Keith Bridge Rd.) turn right.

Go about 2.5 miles and we are on the right.

Mailing Address for letters, donations and contributions:
Humane Society of Forsyth County
P.O. Box 337
Cumming, Georgia 30028

E-mail us at: [email protected]

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know what to say.. HOW HORRIBLE!!!! We need STIFFER penalties for these people.. Drag them behind a truck.. HOW SICKNING!!