4 weeks old, no mummy

camillab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone.
I'm crying as I write this, but I want to make sure I do the right thing with my wonderful cat Cha-Cha's babies. She seemed all good....but cut a long story short she will probably not make it.
She apparently has a genetic defect that made her diaphragm small and fragile...and its ruptured....and there isn't much they can do about it.......she will probably have to be put down.

The babies are almost weaned...they are starting their 5th week today......what are some tips to ensure they grow up to be well adjusted happy cats?

XXXXXXX
Kim

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of love from their Meowmy(you)!
I'm sorry for Cha-Cha though.Maybe she will heal and won't have to be put down.Sending good vibes your way.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CamillaB

Hi Everyone.
I'm crying as I write this, but I want to make sure I do the right thing with my wonderful cat Cha-Cha's babies. She seemed all good....but cut a long story short she will probably not make it.
She apparently has a genetic defect that made her diaphragm small and fragile...and its ruptured....and there isn't much they can do about it.......she will probably have to be put down.

The babies are almost weaned...they are starting their 5th week today......what are some tips to ensure they grow up to be well adjusted happy cats?

XXXXXXX
Kim
Kim...I am soo sorry about Cha Cha. As for her kittens....right now I would get some kitten replacement formula just in case they struggle with getting the hang of kitten food. I would spend a lot of time snuggling with them and letting them play.

Hugs.

Katie

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persil had a ruptured diaphragm and the first vet I saw said she would have to be put down. But thankfully another vet at the hospital said he could try and operate and he did, succesfully. It is an uncommon but standard procedure as this is a recognised genetic condition in both cats and dogs. They can either mend it with stitches or put a mesh in place that the tissue gradually gorws over. Don't give up till you have at least explored the options. It is now 20 months since her op and Persil is living a normal life. I do hope you find a way of saving her.