Ladies - did your doctor forget to mention...?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so easy for women to get UTIs, and I'm sure that like me, your Doctor told you to drink Cranberry juice regularly to help prevent them.

Did they mention that the cranberry juice should have no high fructose corn syrup added? Where I live that leaves two brands of Cranberry juice that "work:" Apple & Eve, and Northland Cranberries. And they're more expensive! But out of all of the easily available brands - Ocean Spray, Tropicana, etc. - they ALL have high fructose corn syrup in them!

I've got a new gyno who's great, and I recently had a UTI. I told her I've been drinking my cranberry juice. And she's the first Doc I've seen that pointed this out (and I'm 43!). She said the high fructose corn syrup totally reduces any effectiveness from cranberry juice. And depending upon the ratio of actual juice to corn syrup, it may be like soda, and actually contribute to a UTI!

Just thought I'd share - because who knew?

Laurie

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UTIs suck, I love cranberry juice, but chronic reflux keeps me from drinking it, too acidic

Never knew that about sweetened cranberry juice though.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad someone brought up this topic... I haven't eaten anything with high fructose corn syrup in it for three years. If everyone here could do me a favor, check your pantry, count how many items have this in it, and then get back to me.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm so glad someone brought up this topic... I haven't eaten anything with high fructose corn syrup in it for three years. If everyone here could do me a favor, check your pantry, count how many items have this in it, and then get back to me.
None! I'm very anti-sugar! A friend of my daughter's brought a "Nature Valley" granola bar and left it here... four of the first five ingredients were sugar! Into the trash it went.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Cranberry juice works before bladder and urinary tract infections, but are not good to drink during, according to my mother's doctor. (I've never had either.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, I had no clue- thanks for the tip!
I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever get a UTI.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have that problem..I think you have to be *active* to get UTI's..

NO, I've never had one though..in all my 24 years.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How?!?! How do you manage this?!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I don't have that problem..I think you have to be *active* to get UTI's..

NO, I've never had one though..in all my 24 years.
Nope, you don't have to be "active" to get UTI's

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I shop at Wild Oats and most of their products don't have it.
I love Wild Oats (the staff is soooooo helpfull there if you need help) and they have a good variety of things for ppl who have certain food allergies
I do wish they weren't soo expensive though

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother hasn't been active in centuries and she gets UTIs pretty often, mostly due to her pharmecutical cocktails.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get UTIs from sitting in bubble bath,bath water with shaving cream in it,too much soap in the water,being "active",getting dehydrated.
For them,I usually take AZO in the blue box.They work WONDERFULLY!!You just gotta watch the yellow stains your clothes and etc.
If mine get to bad,I have to go to the ER.I have a tendincy to get kidney infections that require hospitaliztion.Also, kidney stones.So, I am really careful.
Thanks for the heads up!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a doctor tell me before that drinking cranberry juice isn't as effective as everyone thinks. I don't think he was saying that it's not effective at all... he explained to me that for it to work like you think, you'd have to drink a ridiculous amount of it... But who knows! I say it's definetely worth a shot although it's never really helped me in any way.

I've had UTI's all my life, mainly from being "active", but I do get them on occasion for no apparent reason. I had a urologist tell me that I have what they call "Honeymooners syndrome" and I just am more prone to getting UTI's than a lot of other people. So he put me on Macrobid- I take it before or after and let me tell you- it does the trick!

If I ever forget to take it, I'll usually end up getting one. Typically they're pretty mild and I can get over it by taking AZO and drinking gallons of water but sometimes I have to go in for a perscription.

Either way- they are not fun!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in the UTI boat more times then I want to remember. My doctor told me the best way to prevent "activity-induced" UTI is to get up and try to pee right afterwards. I've also found the best way to get rid of them is to have a few pints of beer (it will make you pee oodles, but it also flushes everything out). It cured my last one in 24 hours. Plus it's one of the most enjoyable medical treatments ever!! LOL

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

p.s. Cranberry juice works before bladder and urinary tract infections, but are not good to drink during, according to my mother's doctor. (I've never had either.)
Do you know why? I've always heard to drink it during.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

I've been in the UTI boat more times then I want to remember. My doctor told me the best way to prevent "activity-induced" UTI is to get up and try to pee right afterwards.

I used to get activity induced UTIs, then the doc told me that and I haven't had one since. It's not very romantic though