Found a little kitten outside near my pourch

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well right now where I live it is flooding and is raining and stuff I heard meows outside of my window and when I went out to look I found a baby kitten. The kitten was all the way under the water except for its tiny head. It looks to be like 2-3 weeks old so of course I brought him inside and I have wrapped in a towel and drying him off. I have no idea how to take care of a kitten this young. I do not have any kind of kitten milk here or a bottle and I am stuck here for the moment cuz my fiance is at work with the car. I have no clue what to give this kitten for now or what to do with him. My fiance will not be home till 10pm from work so what can I do till then. Any advice would be helpful
thanks

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might get a better response from the "cat and kitten care" section. I think you need to get kitten forumula somehow, but I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

I got my sweet kitty Diana (RB) when she washed up in the Memorial Day flood of 1984 in Austin, Texas . She was tiny, only a couple of weeks old, covered in mud and leaves. I tried to give her to our neighbors, because I thought she was theirs (she wasn't but they took her anyway), but she immediately found her way back to my doorstep... she was my lovey for many years.

I'm not convinced you found this kitten, I think he found you! Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. My sister and brother are in Houston. I'm sending good thoughts to you guys!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, the poor little thing
thank you for bringing him/her in! Try to get it dry as quickly as possible, and keep it warm until you can get to the store for some kitten replacement milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well it is still wrapped up in a towel and he/she is so cute. it is dry now and asleep. I will have to find my camera and take some pics of the it.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it'll be hungry when it wakes up
hope you can get some kmr soon

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jessicasoosweet

Well right now where I live it is flooding and is raining and stuff I heard meows outside of my window and when I went out to look I found a baby kitten. The kitten was all the way under the water except for its tiny head. It looks to be like 2-3 weeks old so of course I brought him inside and I have wrapped in a towel and drying him off. I have no idea how to take care of a kitten this young. I do not have any kind of kitten milk here or a bottle and I am stuck here for the moment cuz my fiance is at work with the car. I have no clue what to give this kitten for now or what to do with him. My fiance will not be home till 10pm from work so what can I do till then. Any advice would be helpful
thanks
try looking here for a homemade recipe for kitten glop - something you can feed the kit until you can get something commercial [assuming you don't want to keep making your own!]
also some other helpful articles
hand-rearing kittens
kitten rescue

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty gets to doing well I saw somewhere that to warm them up you should put a hot water bottle by them

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laureen posted the important links to what you can do in a crunch for this baby for food.

But THE most important thing for this baby is to keep him warm! If you have a sock and some rice, you can make him a "sock heater" (instructions in the third paragraph down on this page: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/cold_kitten.html )

Thank you for rescuing this little baby! I'll move this to Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care where our experts will be able to help you more as you care for this baby.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for moving it to the right area...
I am in the middle of making the kitten food so that I can feed it till I can get the replacement milk....who knows when that will be cuz the roads are almost under water and since i have the kitten food stuff that can be made that really isn't a pressing issue right now. The kitten is up and walking around a lil and is completey dry and warm (I have the heaters on high in the room we are in) and is growling and hissing at me so I am going to assume it has had no human contact before. as soon as I get the pics I took loaded and sized I will post them it is an adorable kitty but I am not sure if I will be keeping it or taking it to the SPCA. If I can keep it I will tho.

Thank you all for the advice.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh its soo cute!!!

Thanx for taking it in.
I'm sorry i dont have really any advise for you because all the kittens i take care of are 8-10 weeks old. All i can suggest is keep it warm and let it snuggle you.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG.. he looks just like my Pippin when he was a wee one.

If you do take him to a shelter, please make sure they are no kill. When I called the shelters in my area about taking Smeagol they all said they were full, but the humane society offered to euthanize him.
(
Needless to say, I still have my Smeagol butt.

In the meantime, keep the little guy warm. I highly recommend the rice socks. Smeagol sleeps with his all the time. He looks older (and bigger) than Smeagol who will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. Check his mouth and see if he has any teeth which should give you a better idea of how old he is.

He may need help going to the bathroom. If his belly is very taut, try rubbing gently a warm moist cotton ball on his belly and butt.

I also prefer the canned kitten milk to the powder. It glops up and gets gross very quickly. I heat about a tablespoon in the microwave for 10 seconds and then test it to make sure it's not too hot. Make sure the nipple on the bottle you get is opened enough so milk comes out easily with only the slightest pressure. This will make it easier to get him to latch on.

Thank you for rescuing this poor baby. He's so adorable!!

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

OMG.. he looks just like my Pippin when he was a wee one.

If you do take him to a shelter, please make sure they are no kill. When I called the shelters in my area about taking Smeagol they all said they were full, but the humane society offered to euthanize him.
(
Needless to say, I still have my Smeagol butt.

In the meantime, keep the little guy warm. I highly recommend the rice socks. Smeagol sleeps with his all the time. He looks older (and bigger) than Smeagol who will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. Check his mouth and see if he has any teeth which should give you a better idea of how old he is.

He may need help going to the bathroom. If his belly is very taut, try rubbing gently a warm moist cotton ball on his belly and butt.

I also prefer the canned kitten milk to the powder. It glops up and gets gross very quickly. I heat about a tablespoon in the microwave for 10 seconds and then test it to make sure it's not too hot. Make sure the nipple on the bottle you get is opened enough so milk comes out easily with only the slightest pressure. This will make it easier to get him to latch on.

Thank you for rescuing this poor baby. He's so adorable!!
I am not exactly sure how old it is that was just a guess but now I think he might be a lil bit older. I have helped him use the bathroom after I fed him. If I take him to a shelter the first question I will ask is if it is a no kill shelter and I will probly take him to the SPCA. I think it will be hard for me to give the kitten up though.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, he's such a cutie! I'll bet he's hissing because he's still wigged out from his ordeal. He's one lucky little guy. If you take him to a shelter, will they hand feed him? Or foster him out?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!!!! How adorable
what a cutie pie

So, if you plan on keeping it, what are you going to name it? Can you tell if it is a girl or boy yet? Whatever it is, it sure is doll

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you take him to a shelter, even a no-kill, they will euthanize him if they dont have a foster home for him. If this is the case ask if you can foster him until he is old enough to be adopted out. Sad but this is the reality of it.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww! That kitten is precious!!!

I'm so glad someone like you found it, because I am sure you will take great care of it!!!

Please keep us updated!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Aw, he's such a cutie! I'll bet he's hissing because he's still wigged out from his ordeal. He's one lucky little guy. If you take him to a shelter, will they hand feed him? Or foster him out?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
he is just as cute as can be! definitely keep us updated!