Halloween- Kids who don't dress up

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susie's question of the day actually sparked this question. It reminded me of how frustrated I became with the kids last year. I felt they were very rude... most of them showed up not wearing a costume and very few thanked us for the candy.

I understand that not all kids are able to afford a costume... but I remember a girl from last year stopped by. She was probably 14 or 15ish and she and her friends were riding around with a guy in a car. She stopped and got out, not wearing a costume, and held her purse out for me to put candy in. I had to grit my teeth to keep from saying anything.

Do you pretty much have to suck it up and give these unthankful kids candy even if they don't deserve it, or has anyone ever just plain refused to give it out to one of these kids?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it's lame. It doesn't have to cost much, if anything to have a costume. My parents didn't care if we had a costume or not so we did it ourselves out of stuff we had at home. Heck, you can mess up your hair, wear your pajamas, and carry a stuffed teddy bear! One year when I was eight I made a wig with two very long braids out of a white sheet, and wore my older sister's orange and black dress.

I give the kids candy anyway, but can't resist saying, "Hey, where's your costume?"

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I would have given that girl who got out of the car one extremely small piece of candy in her purse.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We go over to my mother's for trick or treat and pass out candy there. I normally say something rude like nice costume if they aren't wearing anything or you could do like my husband and say, "come back when you're in costume"

I worry about that because kids now are very vindictive. I would worry they would sneak back and do something to the house. So it's kind of like catch 22.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say, "sorry, it's just for the little ones in costume." Smile, and shut the door.

I stopped giving out candy after I became a mom - I'm one of those mean ladies that would hand out toothbrushes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also worried about them being vindictive! I just know that if I refuse them candy, or give them toothbrushes
, I am going to wake up with eggs all over my windows and tp in my trees!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I might say something, or I might not -- it would be a gut reaction at the time. I think I might say, "Sorry, Halloween's for little people in costume. Guess all the little people have gone home to bed." -- then smile, shut the door, turn off the porch light, and not answer anymore.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care how old people are trick-or-treating as long as they actually have a costume...but if you don't have a costume you're pretty much just begging for food! I've gotten several groups like this in the last few years, usually older kids/teens with no attempt at a costume. It's not like it's difficult to put a costume together-- heck just buy a tube of fake blood, put on some ripped clothes and go as a zombie if you want, just do something!

Maybe I should start buying cheap masks after Halloween (when stuff is 75% off) and start handing them out to costumeless trick-or-treaters instead of candy!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I am also worried about them being vindictive! I just know that if I refuse them candy, or give them toothbrushes
, I am going to wake up with eggs all over my windows and tp in my trees!
Yep! I think that would happen as well. I like the thought of one itsy bitsy piece of candy!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give them candy unless their dressed up...even when I was poor, I would throw a sheet over my head and be a ghost

And the ones that don't say thank you, I would just say your welcome as their walking away..Of course really little kids will forget to say thank you sometimes, but you can tell which ones are just jerks.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Maybe I should start buying cheap masks after Halloween (when stuff is 75% off) and start handing them out to costumeless trick-or-treaters instead of candy!
That's neat, to the point, and in the spirit of the holiday!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are too far out in the country to get trick or treaters, but as I take my kids trick-or-treating in town, I have seen some of the older teens without costumes. With one girl, she had on high heels and a mini skirt, so I wasn't sure if she had intended to dress like a tramp or not, and was too embarrassed to ask her! LOL!

I think if you keep a bowl of starlight mints handy for the older kids with no costume, word will get around quick to stay away. I have a feeling you are giving out pretty good stuff to have a car stop by to drop kids off!

The mask idea is a good one! LOL!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes me SO mad when they do that.
I remember one year when I was pregnant with my oldest son, I helped my mom hand out candy. This one kid had to be at least 18 came to the door. He didn't have a costume on. Just held out his bag and didn't say a word. I looked at him and said "I know this isn't for a sick little brother or sister at home"
He said "What the
do you care?!" I slammed the door in his face. He knocked again and when I opened the door, he got sprayed with silly string
My mom about died laughing...

Then when I was about 15 this girl down the street came to the door. My mom opened it and was handing out candy. Apparently the girl didn't see me standing behind her and decided she was going to try and grab the whole bowl and run. My mom grabbed her hand. She ended up breaking my mom's finger and ran off.. Needless to say, me and about 5 friends caught up with her 2 streets over

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that would irritate me. I trick or treated until 17, but I at least HAD A COSTUME (even if buried under my winter coat).

This year I would do what Ginger'smom said. Actually I remember that happening when I was a teenager...some people refused us (despite the costumes) because of our age. Oh well...we just went on to the next house.

Maybe go so far and poke her in the tummy and say "Do you REALLY think you need all that candy?"
It may give her an eating complex, but she wouldn't arrive at your door next year!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live so far out in the boonies, that we don't have trick-or-treaters at all.