Prayers......good vibes needed....PLEASE!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my youngest son Seth who is only 6 years old had to have a tooth pulled today
.It's one of the back ones that wasn't going to come out for some time yet.But, it had a bad cavity and HAD to be pulled.I feel like such a bad Mom cause I didn't realize it was that bad until 2 weeks ago.

Anyways, he's not doing to good right now.He is VERY sore,sleepy,vomitting,still seeping blood and in alot of pain.They will not give anything for kids to take for pain.Just tell you Motrin.So, that's what I'm doing.But, it's not helping very much.I am beyond myself right now and wish I woulnd't had them remove it.........just try to fill it.
Could you all PLEASE send some prayers/vibes/wellwishes his way?
He's my baby and this is killing me knowing I did this to him.
They said I could send him to School
NO WAY IN YOU KNOW WHAT!!!And he will most likley stay home with me tomm. also.
The ONLY good thing about it is, we snuggled in my bed when we got home and took a nap together.

Thanks everyone!!!! I will not be able to get on here much today or tomm. unless he is doing better.
Sapphire goes in tomm. to be spayed also.So, I could use some good vibes for that too.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume they gave him anesthesia? That would be why he is so sleepy. The seeping is normal too if I remember correctly. Wonder why they didn't give him something for pain, though.

AAAAWWWWW, soothing headbuts and heal-quck licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy, I'm sorry your little boy is going through this..........it will get better!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of prayers and vibes headed your way for you and your son. I hope he feels better soon! (Also, i'm a dental student- if he's still in pain about an hour before the dentists office closes- call and demand that they give him something.....they can give him a very very low does....he should not have to be in pain for that long.) Also, what form of anestesia did they use on him??? (Gas mask, iv, liquid??) - different strengths and forms of anestisia can cause drowsiness and dizziness- which could explaine why he is tired
Good luck sweetie! And remember- you are a great momma! Don't feel bad that you didn't catch it sooner- sometimes those things are hard to catch- so don't feel so bad. Also, when it's that bad- it is better to have it pulled rather than filled, especially since it was a baby tooth....so that was the right move
...it's normal for those to bleed and ooze for a few hours. If you dentist is ok with this- call ahead and check before you do it.....you can give him some warm salt water to rinse his mouth out with several times a day starting tomorrow- you don't want to do that just yet today because you want the socket to have plenty of time to clot so that it will not start to bleed or ooze again....so start that tomorrow with doctors approval- this will stimulate the gums and also keep them clean while it's healing. You can also give him a multivitamine for children or a small dose of Zinc to help speed up healing as well (check with your pharmacist or pediatrician on the proper dose of zinc for your son)...it is wonderful post procedures or surgeries. I hope that helps!!

(Also, no orange juice or anything acidic or really stick(gum or gummie bears)....it can irritate or even sting his sore mouth.)

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww..
I hope he feels better soon!
I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. and Sapphire will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow that her spay goes well.
take care.
it WILL get better! I promise!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww Don't feel bad! My youngest had the same thing happen and everything you are describing is normal. Just keep the motrin going and I even used liquid tylenol. Jordan did miss two days of school.

misspremier007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi sorry to hear about you son. If the socket keeps weeping, take a bit of cotton wool and place it onto the socket, as this will help form a clot. Rinsing with warm salty water is a good idea, but wait at least 24 hours after weeping as stopped as rinsing may dislodge the clot, making it weep again.
Your not a bad mother at all, some children are born with teeth that are week, meaning cavities can happen easily, even though they brush regularly. If you are worried about brushing, and missing spots, you can buy disclosing tablets (not medicine!!) your son can chew on it, it will turn his teeth pink, and will show you where you need to brush, once you have brushed, the pink is removed.
Do you have calpal in america? its a child friendly pain killer, if not try asking your local chemist/pharmacy.
If your worried about future cavities and preventing them, im not sure about the states, but you can buy toothpaste which contains flouride, which strengthens the tooths enamel and dentine. Plus drinking milk never fails.
Vibes coming your way.
By the way im a qualified dental nurse and if you would like anymore advice pm me. claire

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also you can alternate motrin with tylonal give the motrin then 2 hours later give tylonal two hours later motrin again ect.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, thats so horrible for sucha small one to go through! Tell him that Willie wishes he could give him a kitty hug!

Good luck for the spaying, also! I'll always give luck for something like that!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh I hope he feels better soon, sometimes we Mom's don't always know everything, it's not your fault ... Get well vibes for him and hugs for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all sooooooooooooooooo very much!!!
He is feeling better now.He took a 3 hour nap and got up feeling some better.I gave him some Motrin for pain and will do it again here in about 30 mintues.
He had gauze in his mouth for 45 mintues after the pull.I followed the directions for that.
I assume they gave him anesthesia?
No, they just numbed the gum with local shots.I think the sleepyness was from the pain and trauma.Plus, he was so scared going there.
I went out and bought some childrens ACT.It's a flouride mouth wash.He is to use in once a day.Plus, brush 2 times a day.
I have some mouth wash that turns the spots blue that need to be brushed better.He uses that---we just started that 2 weeks ago.
I checked his mouth and saw how bad his cavity was when he started saying it was hurting him.It wasn't big,just deep.The pain was from a permanent tooth coming in behind it.
I just wish that I would have found it a little sooner.It couldn't have been filled as deep as it was.But, if I would have caught it sooner......it could have been.That's why I'm beating myself up about this.
So, now I sit and watch him brush his teeth to make sure he does a good job.
They told me to have him rinse with salt water tomm. it has to be atleast 24 hours after they removed it.
He said he was hungry earlier and I made him some mashed potatoes,smashed peas and he ate some pudding too.
I'm just scared to send him to School tomm.
Thank you all sooooooooo much!! I can't tell you all how much your prayers/good vibes/well wishes have meant to us.
I'll keep you all posted.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like a very good Mom to me, having done what you could for your son! My (now 17 y/o) son had a cavity once...he had seen the dentist 3 months before, and brushed his teeth fairly regularly! I think they must develop quickly on kids teeth!

I'm glad he is feeling a little better now. I agree with your plan to keep him home tomorrow...that way you can keep giving him Motrin, monitor what he is eating, and make sure he is swishing with the salt water!

What great advice from the two dental assistants!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like a very good Mom to me, having done what you could for your son!
Thank you!!!! I'm trying.I have a 16 year old DD,a 13 year old DS,a 8 1/2 year old DS, and then Seth the 6 year old DS.So, I've had plenty of experience with kids.Just never with teeth being pulled by the Dentist.
I'm going to keep him home with me tomm.I am to affraid to send him.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, it always seems worse when its the baby of the family, too! I have a 23 y/o dd, 17 y/o ds, 10 y/o dd, and 7 y/o ds! Too bad we don't live closer...we would definitely have some friends there!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Ah, it always seems worse when its the baby of the family, too! I have a 23 y/o dd, 17 y/o ds, 10 y/o dd, and 7 y/o ds! Too bad we don't live closer...we would definitely have some friends there!
I agree!!!
And the good thing about that too, is they all love cats!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD!! He has the ice pack on again.....which he isn't happy about.But, he's thrilled that he gets to stay up late and can stay home with me tomm.
Thanks for asking!!!And thanks for ALL the advice.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is doing better! My oldest had to have general anesthesia to have a tooth pulled at 2 years old, so I can relate to feeling guilty. But he will be back to his old self in no time, and none the worse for wear, I'm sure!