'tis the season to get engaged!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Mirinae did it I am too. LOL

I got engaged on Oct. 5th. It's funn how many similarities there are actually. I've had a place holder since mid-July except he didn't actually ask then. It was more of a pre-engagement ring to assure everyone he had every intention of proposing. The reason I got the place holder was because he was having a very hard time finding someone to make him the custom ring he designed for me. No one wanted to sell him a platinum band (he already had the stones) then turn around and melt it. Then when he finally did find someone and it came back finished it was a size too big. They had to completly re-do it but luckily it was the shop owners mistake and he hurried it through again.

So, on the afternoon of the 5th they called him to say it was ready. He drove out to get it and yeah, it was the right size and looked perfect. He came home from work (late cuz the ring was in a town 45 minutes away) and went upstairs to change as usual. I saw on the couch watching TV and crocheting. About 15 minutes later he calls down to me... "Honey, did you see this?!" At this point I thought one of the cats got sick on a bed or the toilet had leaked... something bad. "Babe, you really need to come look at this." Ok, I get up and walk upstairs. As soon as I round the corner at the top I see him kneeling in the hallway ring in hand. This is what I saw in the ring box...

The band has a stamped pattern of two butterflies surrounding an infinity symbol. Now I understood why they couldn't have just resized the ring. You can see the pattern detail here. It caught me off gaurd too. I knew about the ring and he even told me when it came back the wrong size so if he'd done roses or a fancy resteraunt I would have known what he was up to.

There's also certain people we (ok... I) would feel obligated to invite so we're going to an island between Michigan's penensilus to get married. Mackinak Island. We're going to be married in the gazebo at Mission Pointe Resort. I just made the appointment today to go dress shopping which my niece/flower girl is so excited about because she's coming with.

I can't help bit grin (almost) every time I think about it. I love my ring and I look at it somewhere around every 3 minutes (about as often as a man thinks of sex!). The next week or so.. until we have the contract in w/ the resort... is going to be pretty high stress though. Everyone's worried about something and they are all telling me about it. Had my first pre-wedding min-break down yesterday because my mom either mis-understood something or blew it way out of proportion and said we may have to stay in town which I don't want to do for so many reasons. We got it all cleared up though. They say the tome between engagement and marriage are some of the most stressfull.

Of course, I could go on and on but I'll try to keep it to a minimum since I'm posting about this everywhere!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!
That is a gorgeous ring! (I'm really big into non-traditional rings.
)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations!

Your ring is absolutely stunning. What a wonderful gift from your fiance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Congratulations!
That is a gorgeous ring! (I'm really big into non-traditional rings.
)
Me too... I love that it's not your everyday solitare that you see everywhere. It is 100% unique and one of a kind. My favorite thing about it is that the stones are inset. Instead of the usualy raised prong setting. I've had other rings w/ that type of setting (non-precious stones) and lost the stones because I broke the prongs off through daily wear. He knew this so when they asked he told them to inset the stones so I can't lose them.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boyoboy does HE sound like a keeper!!

DH designed an engagement ring for me too. Same thing, since I am always doing something or another with fixing up houses or using tools, the prongy rings wouldn't last long.

Hope you have a wonderful marriage. Sounds like if he is willing to go to that much trouble you will!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conga-rats!!!

Your ring is so cool & unique- he did a great job designing that!

Mackinak Island is gorgeous- you're going to have a beautiful wedding!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!

I had a similar communication problem with my fmil. *Sigh* Just stick to your guns, if it's important enough to them and you... things will work out.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we secured our ceremony and reception cite Wednesday and I bought my dress yesterday.

David's Bridal was having their $99 sale and somehow we only paid $250 for my dress. This actually made my mom's jaw drop because we spent in totaly 1/3 of what she was expecting to spend. So, we went to a craft store to look as flowers and stuff for decorating the aisle and tables and found a really cute idea using 2 tin cans sied together, stuffed w/ flowers and hung over the chairs. Now I just need to make the cake & DJ deposit and we're well on our way.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Well, we secured our ceremony and reception cite Wednesday and I bought my dress yesterday.

David's Bridal was having their $99 sale and somehow we only paid $250 for my dress. This actually made my mom's jaw drop because we spent in totaly 1/3 of what she was expecting to spend. So, we went to a craft store to look as flowers and stuff for decorating the aisle and tables and found a really cute idea using 2 tin cans sied together, stuffed w/ flowers and hung over the chairs. Now I just need to make the cake & DJ deposit and we're well on our way.
Your dress is beautiful! Congrats on your engagement!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Wow, that dress is gorgeous! Simple but elegant!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how pretty! That is such a special ring! Congratulations!

My best friend's sister just got engaged also....he proposed while she was brushing her teeth!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Your dress is beautiful! Congrats on your engagement!
Thanks. It's actually the first dress I picked from the pictures but like the 6th I tried on. I stopped trying on after that one though.

Originally Posted by babyharley

Wow, that dress is gorgeous! Simple but elegant!
Thank you. I wanted simple... all the bead and lace and stuff just isn't me. Bu it still has a slash of color which is my favorite part.

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh how pretty! That is such a special ring! Congratulations!

My best friend's sister just got engaged also....he proposed while she was brushing her teeth!
Brushing her teeth... that's a good one too! LOL I like the low frills out of the blue proposals... it's makes it much more unexpected.