Have you ever moved some where and wish you lived some where else?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just recently bought a house and moved in two months ago and I don't know but I'm missing where I used to live.
We used to live right in the middle of town, a nice small city and I really miss the area and not being able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, etc.. I don't really miss my apartment since I love our little house, I just really miss the area. We would of loved to stay in town but houses were just way too expensive and we didn't want to go to another apartment. So, we bought a house somewhat out in the country since it was a good price and we liked it. But now....I'm not so sure. I guess I'm just a city girl and love to be right in the middle of things.

Sash just loves it though and that's the most important thing!
So I guess I will grow to like it...right? I sure hope so...

Maybe I just need to give it more time. I lived at my apartment for 11 years, and it's only been two months here. Will says I'm just never satisfied. Who knows, maybe we can sell it?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisa, we have the exact opposite problem.........I want a house in the country and out of the city.........wanna trade? How far into PA are you?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've moved 19 times in the last 30 years... I know exactly what you are feeling. The places I miss the most are the ones where I lived the longest. But I've realized I have the good memories, and you really can't go back (friends have moved, too, and other things have changed) so I have had to accept it. If you ever moved from your new house, you'll miss it just as much as you miss your apartment now.

I hope you enjoy your new house and make many happy memories there!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, I think you get used to that after a while and actually start to enjoy it. I used to live in NYC and it really started to drain me. It was just too much. I went to school in Ann Arbor, MI, and even that was slightly too crowded after a time (it was real nice though, free bus, and tons of restaurants/cafes everywhere).

I moved to Ohio just recently, and at first I felt sort of "lost out at sea". Soooo much space here. But after a month or so, I kind of started to like it. I'm also finding that I'm saving a boat load of money by not spending it everyday eating out or having tea/espresso. You do become more of a homebody though. On the weekends I go to Columbus or drive back up to Ann Arbor to hang out. Oh, and the roads out here are awesome for driving, so smooth, and I love driving my CRX!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take it from me Lisa, your new home will grow on you, just give it time
11 years is a long time to live somewhere so it's no wonder you miss it!!

Like you said though, Sash loves your new home, so that will help you adjust I'm sure.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once heard/read somewhere that it takes on average 6 months to adjust completely after moving. So, give it more time! I'm with Susie, I'd love a house in the country. But I hear what you're saying about being in the middle of things in the city. You'll just have to get Sash to be more entertaining to make up for quieter weekends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Lisa, we have the exact opposite problem.........I want a house in the country and out of the city.........wanna trade? How far into PA are you?
I would trade with you Susie, if Sash could come too?
I'm quite a distance from Ohio though.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I knew this would be a big change for me and I hate change, I just thought it would be a good change for me.

Well, if Sash is happy....then of course I'm happy and he really is helping me adjust so much, since I was so worried how he would do!
I think I'll be okay in time.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish, so very badly, that I lived in a more forward thinking state.
I'm a Seattle native, so I feel so completely stifled living in Utah.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it some time, and start some new traditions this holiday....once you make some good memories and settle in for a while, you'll grow to love it also

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I lived somewhere else! My family recently moved to a place that's sortof out in the country, and there are these two dogs allowed to roam that get on my nerves. I also hate that my dad is making me train my dogs to an electric fence. (Did you know you can do that for cats too? Not that I ever would!!) But I wanna go back to my old house!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have lived in the "country" since 1987!!! One gets used to it. Sometimes its more quiet (less kids running around) but other noises-chainsaws, ATV's, etc..
The biggest change is that one just doesn't drive to town (actually we have a very small one a couple miles away) just to do one errand. I combine several in one day!!! And takeout-whats that!!!! Better turn on the oven to warm anything back up. But I wouldn't give it up for the world.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have lived in the country most of my life but I did live in town a bit and it is convient. But I like being able to do what I want to do. And being as loud as I want to and I can't do that in town. I also like how friendly my neighbors here are the few that I have and they are a mile or so away. But in town nooone stops to say hi or wave at one another. We wave at strangers. And I prefer the laid back way of life as opposed to always being on the go. I think in time you will adjust you can't adjust over night and especially when you have such set in roots. I hope you begin to settle in better maybe throughing a small get together will help

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I lived out in the country, I don't like being a city girl.

friend4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Lisa, Going through withdrawal, hey? I did the same about 2 years ago. Lived in Maryland all my life (53 yrs). I lived right in the hub bub of it all, 15 min. from BWI, surrounded by the Balto Beltway, stores and shops within 10 min or less. Then I married my husband from Arkansas who lived in a small town pop 382 in the middle of nowhere. Im telling you it was absolutely awful. I was so homesick and very depressed. Then we moved up to his other home in TN in the middle of pastureland. Still depressed. Missed my family terribly, especially my Mom who is 84, alone and still in MD. But its gotten A LOT better. I actually love living in what I call the country now. So peaceful, away from the noise. Its taken my 3 yrs to get to this point. I still very much miss my Mom and my kids (who now reside in NC & PA), but I no longer am grieving. Give it time....things will turn around for you. I'll keep you in prayer!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family moved to Michigan from another state when I was 7. I'm still trying to get over it....

(PS I'm 29)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we moved from Indiana to Illinois, I was very disappointed. I came home from the grocery store one day and told my dh that we were going to starve, because we couldn't even afford peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as bread was $2.50 a loaf! LOL! Stuff is more expensive here, and people in general aren't as nice. But I figured out how to find bargains, and have lots of very nice friends. Now (after 10 years) it would be very hard to go back to Indiana!

Give it time. If you decide you really don't like it after a year or so, sell the house and use the money for a down payment on a smaller house in town!
You will still be ahead compared to renting!

Also, take time to go to the city for your fun. Some people just really love that, and even people living in the boonies go to the city sometimes!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Friend4Life

Hi Lisa, Going through withdrawal, hey? I did the same about 2 years ago. Lived in Maryland all my life (53 yrs). I lived right in the hub bub of it all, 15 min. from BWI, surrounded by the Balto Beltway, stores and shops within 10 min or less. Then I married my husband from Arkansas who lived in a small town pop 382 in the middle of nowhere. Im telling you it was absolutely awful. I was so homesick and very depressed. Then we moved up to his other home in TN in the middle of pastureland. Still depressed. Missed my family terribly, especially my Mom who is 84, alone and still in MD. But its gotten A LOT better. I actually love living in what I call the country now. So peaceful, away from the noise. Its taken my 3 yrs to get to this point. I still very much miss my Mom and my kids (who now reside in NC & PA), but I no longer am grieving. Give it time....things will turn around for you. I'll keep you in prayer!
Yes, I am going through withdrawal badly!
I'm so sorry to hear it took you so long to adjust, I sure hope it doesn't take me that long or we will be moving again! I have my down days and then I have my pretty good days where I'm really enjoying my new home (not so much the area, but my place), so I think there's hope.
I try to keep myself busy and not to think too much about about where I used to live and that helps too. I'm a very private person so you would think this would be the perfect place for me to live.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

When we moved from Indiana to Illinois, I was very disappointed. I came home from the grocery store one day and told my dh that we were going to starve, because we couldn't even afford peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as bread was $2.50 a loaf! LOL! Stuff is more expensive here, and people in general aren't as nice. But I figured out how to find bargains, and have lots of very nice friends. Now (after 10 years) it would be very hard to go back to Indiana!

Give it time. If you decide you really don't like it after a year or so, sell the house and use the money for a down payment on a smaller house in town!
You will still be ahead compared to renting!

Also, take time to go to the city for your fun. Some people just really love that, and even people living in the boonies go to the city sometimes!
Boy, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has felt this way! I like the idea of what you said, selling the house in a year if it doesn't work out. That is comforting to me to think about the possibilities and not feel trapped.

Oh yeah, I already plan on driving back into my old town especially when it snows and park my car and take a nice walk at night, which is something I always loved to do there. I don't think I would like to walk around here at night though.