TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Leftovers........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leftovers........

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Do you and/or your family like them? We sure do! I usually cook a few meals on Sunday, and then we eat them all week! I HATE cooking when I get home from work, and I can't do the fastfood thing, although it sure is tasty!
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Do you and/or your family like them? We sure do! I usually cook a few meals on Sunday, and then we eat them all week! I HATE cooking when I get home from work, and I can't do the fastfood thing, although it sure is tasty!
Can we "fall-you" to eat today Dear Susie?:yummie:.....


............ .....

Is the true, not only in USA, but also in Mexico the Leftovers have to eat for sure!....
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Do you and/or your family like them? We sure do! I usually cook a few meals on Sunday, and then we eat them all week! I HATE cooking when I get home from work, and I can't do the fastfood thing, although it sure is tasty!
There's no such thing as leftovers in this house
With DH eating like a horse, Justice being a growing boy and Jake more than willing to take food thats snuck under the table, there's not much leftover But if there is, we're MORE then happy to have it a day or two later... Saves me from cooking
post #4 of 28
I've always been a leftover kind of girl! Chad definetely is not into leftovers though...

It normally doesn't matter what it is- I'll eat it for lunch & dinner for the next week or until it's time to throw it away- which ever comes first! Chad can only eat the same thing for dinner for two nights in a row- and that's pushing it for him. So now I have to make dinner about every other night and then I have too many leftovers to eat all by myself!

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of my cooking!
post #5 of 28
Nope! None here. With three teenage boys and husband who feels like his boys are eating the food right out of his mouth we never have any leftovers.
post #6 of 28
we usually don't like leftovers...but it depends on the food....
post #7 of 28
I'm single and live alone, so I always have left overs. Only I can only eat the same thing so many days in a row before I grow tired of it, and it's impossible, at least for me, to cook for 1 and not have any left overs.

So what I've been doing is cooking for 4, having one serving and freezing the other 3 servings for future use. This way I have heathy "TV Dinners" which comes in handy for when I work because it's just a matter of taking something from the freezer and putting it into a lunch bag for dinner at work. Kind of like "Lean Cuisine" type meals.

Some examples of what I make and freeze:

Beef Sukiaki with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Shrimp Creole with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Lemon Chicken with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Chili (ate one portion, froze 16 portions)
Cut up melon with apple juice (ate one portion, froze 9)
Beef Noodle Soup (ate one portion, froze 19 portions)

I also do batch cooking:
- make a whole loaf's worth of french toast and freeze them 2 per bag.
- make zucchini bread, slice it into portions and freeze each piece separately.
- make 2 pans of muffins, freeze them separately and put them into a large freezer bag. I take one muffin as I want it.
- cook a large amount of rice and freeze it in 1/2 cup servings. Same thing with Noodles.

I love to roast a chicken or a small roast, but it's way too much for one person, so after I have my dinner, I put some aside for the next days dinner, and then proceed to make "TV Dinners" complete with meat, potato and frozen veggies.

When it comes to eating some days, all I have to do is pull out a healthy meal from my freezer, heat it in the microwave and add a fresh salad.

Another thing I do is when I make lasagna, instead of making just one pan, I make 2 pans. I figure it's a pain to make, but it's yummy, so while I'm making one, I may as well spend an extra 5 minutes putting together a second one to save time.

Tonight for dinner I'm making Orange Chicken and will freeze 3 servings.
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Now you are the leftover Queen!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I'm single and live alone, so I always have left overs. Only I can only eat the same thing so many days in a row before I grow tired of it, and it's impossible, at least for me, to cook for 1 and not have any left overs.

So what I've been doing is cooking for 4, having one serving and freezing the other 3 servings for future use. This way I have heathy "TV Dinners" which comes in handy for when I work because it's just a matter of taking something from the freezer and putting it into a lunch bag for dinner at work. Kind of like "Lean Cuisine" type meals.

Some examples of what I make and freeze:

Beef Sukiaki with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Shrimp Creole with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Lemon Chicken with rice (ate one portion, froze 3)
Chili (ate one portion, froze 16 portions)
Cut up melon with apple juice (ate one portion, froze 9)
Beef Noodle Soup (ate one portion, froze 19 portions)

I also do batch cooking:
- make a whole loaf's worth of french toast and freeze them 2 per bag.
- make zucchini bread, slice it into portions and freeze each piece separately.
- make 2 pans of muffins, freeze them separately and put them into a large freezer bag. I take one muffin as I want it.
- cook a large amount of rice and freeze it in 1/2 cup servings. Same thing with Noodles.

I love to roast a chicken or a small roast, but it's way too much for one person, so after I have my dinner, I put some aside for the next days dinner, and then proceed to make "TV Dinners" complete with meat, potato and frozen veggies.

When it comes to eating some days, all I have to do is pull out a healthy meal from my freezer, heat it in the microwave and add a fresh salad.

Another thing I do is when I make lasagna, instead of making just one pan, I make 2 pans. I figure it's a pain to make, but it's yummy, so while I'm making one, I may as well spend an extra 5 minutes putting together a second one to save time.

Tonight for dinner I'm making Orange Chicken and will freeze 3 servings.
post #9 of 28
I made 7qts of beef stew Friday.
We ate it all weekend, and will eat it tonight and tomorrow as well
The joys of not having a 'normal' sized crockpot.
post #10 of 28
I say we all go over and raid Natalie's freezer!
post #11 of 28
I eat leftovers, but John usually isn't so much into them, but I guess it depends on what it is, and how I can make it over again so he doesn't realize its leftovers
post #12 of 28
Lee is NOT into leftovers unless its Mexican. He says the quesadilla's taste better reheated! But me? I will eat them till I am sick of the. I have been eating the pizza we had Thursday everyday. Thank goodness its almost gone!
post #13 of 28
I don't mind leftovers- I don't see a reason to waste perfectly good food. I think it depends on the food and how well it keeps, but we usually eat leftovers within a day or two.
post #14 of 28
No leftovers here, yuk. After planning, shopping, preparing, cooking, serving, and eating the dinner I don't want to see it again!

I cook the amount we will eat, and when there's a bit left over it goes in the garbage.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
post #15 of 28
I love leftovers. I'll either eat them the next day or pack them in my lunch. Scot does not like leftovers, however. He says he doesn't like to eat the same thing twice in a row.
post #16 of 28
I love leftovers! sometimes the food does taste even better the next day! Sapghetti and chili are 2 good examples of this
post #17 of 28
We don't have leftovers in our house -- or so Rob tells me -- only "experienced food". Actually, I think the secret to making leftovers palatable is not to ask them to be the same thing again, but rather to make them over into something different. Casseroles are one great way to put together "experienced food" into something new.
post #18 of 28
Not to much for leftovers, maybe pot roast, spaghetti, and soup and chile stuff like that.. I was hopeing for a piece of Susies chicken though I have gotten to not like meat much at all anymore, I have no idea why
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint View Post
Not to much for leftovers, maybe pot roast, spaghetti, and soup and chile stuff like that.. I was hopeing for a piece of Susies chicken though I have gotten to not like meat much at all anymore, I have no idea why
Lois, your welcome to some of my chicken! Would you like some of the dressing too?
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Lois, your welcome to some of my chicken! Would you like some of the dressing too?
Oh my Susie dressing to I guess I just may have to make some of that Stuffing is one of my favorite thingees.
I don't get to cook to many big things anymore hubby works swing shift for the last year and before that 5 years graveyard Kinda ruins dinner time, wasn't to bad with the graveyard, but no one wants to eat great big at 1:00 in the afternoon, when hes off we sometimes eat early because we only eat 1 big meal... No wonder I can't gain any weight, I don't wanna cook for just me
post #21 of 28
Ew, I hate leftovers, but I have to eat them because I live alone, and would waste alot of food if I didn't eat them
post #22 of 28
I don't mind leftovers..especially if it's something I like like homemade mac and cheese, pizza, a good steak, Chinese Food, or something like that. It just depends on the food, I guess.
post #23 of 28
We usually have leftover's as its the two of us. Neil likes a "hot lunch" vs a sandwich so I plan accordingly. However there are leftovers from last week and they are going in the garbage tomorrow. I am trying to plan evening meals for Monday thru Friday so manage any leftovers!!
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Now you are the leftover Queen!!!
haha! I could very well be! LOL

I've always batch froze things because my mother used to. But I learned how to streamline freezing when I bought the book "What Have You Got To Lose" by Jenny Craig. It's big on good food made with everyday type ingredients, and it teaches you to portion out your servings.

It's really great because it literally gave me a list of food items to buy for 1 week, told me what to cook in advance and freeze, and told me what to eat each day and how much. Each day I cooked something fresh for 4 people, and had one serving and froze 3 servings. Then it did the same thing for a second week.

I enjoyed the food on it so much that I just kept on making the same recipes (lemon chicken, orange chicken, beef stir fry, stuffed pasta shells, soft tacos, tai chicken, meat loaf, poached salmon, lamb and so much more). I have something different every single day for 2 weeks, and then repeat the process again. Only the next 2 weeks I'm not cooking because it's already in my freezer. And during that next 2 weeks I only have to buy things like milk, fresh produce and fresh fruit.

For each 2 weeks I follow from scratch (cooking and freezing), I end up with entrees in the freezer for 6 more weeks. It's not only healthy, but once you get it going, you find your shopping expenses greatly reduced because you aren't having to always buy things for entrees.

I'm always pre-cooking though, so I don't let my freezer completely empty out. When I get down to 2 weeks of entrees in the freezer, I start cooking again. Sometimes the same things, other times different items. Either way I cook for 4 and freeze 3 portions for future weeks.
post #25 of 28
I live by myself so if I don't want to cook, I don't have to! If all I feel like preparing is a bowl of cereal or a chunk of cheese, then that's all I have! But I do like leftovers if they're the right ones. Lasagna, spaghetti, left over steak.. it's all good.
post #26 of 28
Left overs?Just kidding.YES!!! We eat them,when there are any.With 4 growing kids and a DH, we have left overs very rarely.
Ones we won't eat are mac-n-cheese,oatmeal,or gravy.
If we have any left overs,I usually send them with DH to work for lunch the next day.
post #27 of 28
If I can, I definitely make more to eat later.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Now you are the leftover Queen!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Leftovers........