Principal shoots kittens!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see the news about this today?
A principal of a school in MN (I think) went out back of his/her school and found 2 kittens who's mom had been killed or was missing. What would be the logical thing to do here? Take the kittens in maybe? Bring them to a shelter? NO - what does this guy/gal do?? Brings a gun to school and shoots the 2 kittens!!!!!
With kids still on the grounds!!!! Principal says he/she loves cats and kittens and just wanted to save the kittens from starving. Infuriates me!!!!
Not only complete ignorance for these poor little animals, but total carelessness with our children. Principal has since resigned (as they should have).
Poor little kittens and poor kids who might have seen this.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Did you see the news about this today?
A principal of a school in MN (I think) went out back of his/her school and found 2 kittens who's mom had been killed or was missing. What would be the logical thing to do here? Take the kittens in maybe? Bring them to a shelter? NO - what does this guy/gal do?? Brings a gun to school and shoots the 2 kittens!!!!!
With kids still on the grounds!!!! Principal says he/she loves cats and kittens and just wanted to save the kittens from starving. Infuriates me!!!!
Not only complete ignorance for these poor little animals, but total carelessness with our children. Principal has since resigned (as they should have).
Poor little kittens and poor kids who might have seen this.
I hope to GOD they prosecute him!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is why it is so important to spay/neuter strays and feral cats. If this cat had been spayed...this tragedy would have been avoided.

Katie

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kills me is that this person has two cats at home, yet they were still okay with shooting two adorable, completely helpless kittens, and traumatizing an entire school's worth of children in the process!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH - and to top things off - apparently this guy breeds cats???
:censor::censor::censor:!!!!! IDIOT!!!!!! God my heart is wrenching just imagining what this guy must do to the poor little kittens in his litters that look a little sickly or small or aren't eating well? I am so sick over this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061015/...itten_shooting

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am going to take an unpopular stand here-not that I am saying the guy should have shot the kittens, and not while kids are present. But the way some parents are these days I can just imagine what went through this principal's head. No doubt he had already gotten some nasty phone calls from parents (italics mine).

"There were parents who felt, apparently some rather strongly, that there were concerns about the safety of their children," said Joseph Flynn, an attorney for the South Koochiching/Rainy River School District.
What this sounds like to me is that mommies and daddies were calling him up and hollering that if any one of those 'nasty, rabies carrying, worm-infested fleabags' get anywhere near their little precious darlings and make them sick they would sue the school district. For all we know he called the Humane Society and got the reponse that they had enough kittens already and to let them die. I think there was a thread recently about a gal who found a kitten with maggots on it who got a similar reponse. So what is he supposed to do? Get them euthanized and pay for it out of pocket? Find a cat lover while in the meantime he is getting threatening phone calls from 'concerned' parents?

Sorry for the rant, but lately it seems like these 'concerned parents' are calling the shots to the extent that school staff are sometimes driven to things that do not make sense. We recently had a case here (no comparison from the humanity side but certainly from the paranoia side) about a broken mercury thermometer in an elementary school. Officials evacuated the school and sent two guys in wearing full haz-mat suits. Cripes I would have gone in with two pieces of post-it notes and put it into a yogurt container. The world has gone nuts.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom remembers when she used to play with mercury in class! She would put it on her hands and let it roll around.

However, isn't it unwise to bring a gun to school for ANY reason in light of all the school shootings and crap that has been going on?

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

What this sounds like to me is that mommies and daddies were calling him up and hollering that if any one of those 'nasty, rabies carrying, worm-infested fleabags' get anywhere near their little precious darlings and make them sick they would sue the school district. For all we know he called the Humane Society and got the reponse that they had enough kittens already and to let them die. I think there was a thread recently about a gal who found a kitten with maggots on it who got a similar reponse. So what is he supposed to do? Get them euthanized and pay for it out of pocket? Find a cat lover while in the meantime he is getting threatening phone calls from 'concerned' parents?
I did not take the quote you refer to about the calls from parents being in regard to their children being in danger from the kittens. I took it to mean they were worried about their safety due to the gun being discharged.

A teacher/principal is suppose to be an example to the students. He should have done the right thing, not the easiest and most convenient. Worst case, if that meant paying something out of his own pocket, that's what he should have done. But since he has raised cats in the past, he knew how to care for them. If he didn't want to, either the humane society or a veterinary clinic would have euthanized them. He has lost his job, which I think is appropriate. IMO, someone like this should not be teaching children.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinder you are right. I read it the other way because of the frame of mind I am in. My sister is an elementary school teacher and between the kids, school boards, parents and 'no child left behind' I guess I see a lot of school staff as being between a rock and a hard place.

But you will get no argument from me that a responsible adult discharging a weapon on school grounds is one of the stupidest things I have seen lately.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this world is slowly going mad!!! Where do people get these illogical reasons from?! Shoot them to save them from starving?! Sicko. How hard is it to bring them to the shelter and perhaps get the school in on sponsoring the kittens? Make it a humanitarian event, not just warp these poor childrens minds. Especially the ones who had to witness that.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
A Principal????
And people trust sending their kids to school

How do these
Kind of people actually have any intelligence to be in a job that demands trust, respect and knowledge??

Is that an example of an Educated person ???? "
's "

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{{healing prayers and vibes}}}} for those poor children who have now lost faith in their principal. What a betrayal, and a poor example of what to do when faced with a problem

I remember when I was in elementary school that there were 2 bobcat kittens that lived along the creek next to the playground, and several times they came out to watch us kids at recess. We loved it so much - they were so cute and curious. then the following week, the local paper showed the "brave" hunter posing with the dead bobkittens and the title proudly announcing "Hunter bags two". Several of us kids brought the paper to school, and there was much crying throughout several grades. That was when my dad explained to my brother and me that the elders used to say that to kill a bobcat, coyote or mountain lion was like killing another human; it was comforting to know that.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Well I am going to take an unpopular stand here-not that I am saying the guy should have shot the kittens, and not while kids are present. But the way some parents are these days I can just imagine what went through this principal's head. No doubt he had already gotten some nasty phone calls from parents (italics mine).

Sorry for the rant, but lately it seems like these 'concerned parents' are calling the shots to the extent that school staff are sometimes driven to things that do not make sense. We recently had a case here (no comparison from the humanity side but certainly from the paranoia side) about a broken mercury thermometer in an elementary school. Officials evacuated the school and sent two guys in wearing full haz-mat suits. Cripes I would have gone in with two pieces of post-it notes and put it into a yogurt container. The world has gone nuts.
I think you completely misunderstood. The parents were complaining that the shooting of the kittens endangered their children, not the cats.

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Sending {{{{healing prayers and vibes}}}} for those poor children who have now lost faith in their principal. What a betrayal, and a poor example of what to do when faced with a problem

I remember when I was in elementary school that there were 2 bobcat kittens that lived along the creek next to the playground, and several times they came out to watch us kids at recess. We loved it so much - they were so cute and curious. then the following week, the local paper showed the "brave" hunter posing with the dead bobkittens and the title proudly announcing "Hunter bags two". Several of us kids brought the paper to school, and there was much crying throughout several grades. That was when my dad explained to my brother and me that the elders used to say that to kill a bobcat, coyote or mountain lion was like killing another human; it was comforting to know that.
How unfortunate! As a child I would have been devastated! Good of your Dad to point out that there are other ways of thinking of wild animals than as prizes to be "bagged".