JoeDog has run up and over the bridge

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JoeDog, a big old lab/rottie mix nephew of mine was taken for a ride up over Rainbow Bridge tonight.

He turned on his heel earlier today to chase a ball thrown by a 4 year old girl, and in doing so, yelped and collapsed onto his left rear haunch. Trembliing and whining in obvious pain, with his best non-family pack member, Steve, carrying him like a baby, I gave his head a tender little pat as he was taken past me down to the car, and JoeDog's human parents took him off to the emergency vet 40 minutes away.

I stayed behind to babysit my nieces (two little girls, ages 4 and 9) and waited a couple of hours for the call I dreaded - bone sarcoma, blotches of it all over the x-rays. The family pack is not well off, and throwing money and meds toward a losing battle isn't something they could feasibly do, nor would it be fair to the dog to suffer without the right amount of care. So they made the hardest decision.

JoeDog, my nephew, who greeted me with a resounding howl every time I arrived, who, in fact, took my whole hand gently into his mouth the very first time I met him so that he could take me in and show me around the house - this gentle giant, tail-thumping, wolf-howling, snurfling doggie face lover of a beast has gone past us and moved on to the next place.

I'm gonna miss him VERY much...who am I gonna buy peanut butter biscuits for now?

Rest in peace, JoeDog. I love you.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Having just lost my furnephew Casper, I know it hurts. Lots of vibes to you and your family.

JoeDog, you are now painfree and well. Run fast at the Rainbow Bridge.

Tricia

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for you and your family. My deepest condolences to you all, with special prayers for the nieces.

4 year olds have funny imaginations...be sure she understands that she did not cause this, but that JoeDog was suffering and in pain already, but no one knew until he got hurt chasing a ball. My 7 y/o son was sure he killed one of our foster kittens (who died of distemper) about 2 years ago. Even though we have explained and explained it to him, he still kinda thinks it was his fault. We didn't know until later that he was blaming himself, and now it seems to be hard wired into his memory. So be sure to let the parents know to explain things clearly to the kids, just in case!

He sounds like a lovely dog. I'm sure he was welcomed over the Bridge by many beloved pets, feline and canine! Rest in peace, JoeDog.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless his little heart

He's not in anymore pain now he's over at the bridge, and he'll thump that tail again when the time is right for you to meet again

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GingersMom,

I'm sorry for your family's loss. I too had a JoeDog - I never thought I'd see another! My JoeDog was a grey minature poodle, and he too went quickly much like your JoeDog. I know they're playing together over the Rainbow Bridge.

Maureen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your words of sympathy and support. It's hard getting used to not getting howled at in greeting every day - I keep looking at the dog treats in the stores and have to stop myself...I miss the pain in the butt very much. He's chasing gophers up there right now, I'm sure!

It's been a rough year for me filled with deaths - I've gone to 5 wakes and one funeral since June: one was for a very close friend of mine, one was for the 6-week old daughter of another friend, both of whom were killed in tragic accidents, now the loss of good old JoeDog on top of all that - it's really hard to deal with so much grief, but I'm doing my very best, and you guys help much more than you know.

Hugs to you all!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, isn't that sad.

JoeDog sounds like he was one of those really great dogs.

Tell you what, get some of those peanut butter treats and give them to the Humane Society. Those doggies will thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Ohhhh, isn't that sad.

JoeDog sounds like he was one of those really great dogs.

Tell you what, get some of those peanut butter treats and give them to the Humane Society. Those doggies will thank you.
He was, and I will - the local shelter will be moving into a building right next to the house JoeDog lived in, so I'll be making trips over there with my nieces. We can do something together to remember him by helping out some other doggies.

JoeDog was a shelter rescue himself, my friends adopted him about 11-12 years ago, and he had been abused and was afraid of people at first, but he grew into the most loving, loyal and well-behaved doggie I've EVER known, and I've known quite a few.

He never had to be leashed because he never left his yard, you could let him out to do his "business" and he'd run around the yard for a while then scratch at the door within 10 minutes to come back in.

He always greeted me with exuberance - I was the treat-bringer, so I was a favorite pack member. He slobbered all over me all the time. I called it a snurfle - he'd sniff me then sneeze slobber all over me - it was his way of giving kisses. SO gross, but that was his quirk.
That one thing, I won't miss, lol...

Thanks again for caring!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JoeDog was a good dog, and was a lucky dog to be accepted by a pack who loved him for everything that he was, snufles and all. It takes a lot of love to bring that trust and love out of an animal who has known abuse. It says a lot about your family.

JoeDog, look for a Weimereiner named Dutchess up there. She's been there for a long time waiting for my Dad. But I know she knows all the best places to chase gophers and rabbits. Run and play happily, JoeDog.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Play happily over the Bridge JoeDog, but don't forget to look over your pack down here, as they mourn your loss.