10 month old cat

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all can any one help me what is the best age to let your cat get pregnant pls, and is it cruel to let her get pregnant now she is ten months old she will be a year old in 1st of december

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you plan on keeping all of her kittens? If not, then yes it's unnessecarily cruel, not just to your 10 month old (which is young), but to the rest of the homeless cat population that needs homes.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Um, never unless you are breeding quality purebred cats for show and breed preservation. But if you were a knowledgeable breeder who had done her research you wouldn't need to ask this.

You really should get her spayed. Unspayed cats have an extraordinarily high rate of uterine cancer and the like. It's not worth risking her health. I can't seem to find the link for that article, though.

Not to mention the huge amount of unwanted kittens in cats and shelters. There's no need to add to the population.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes we are planning to keep a kitten as we did with our other cat that had four kittens and have found homes as well and i still see them and they are all doing great

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One kitten but not all of them? So you're still creating excess kittens that go to homes that might have saved a kitten's life at a shelter instead.

And why do you want to breed her? Is she purebred, is the male purebred of the same breed, and will this pairing improve the breed? Are they both healthy and do you know their genetic history? There's so very many kittens and adult cats that need homes that breeding just because you want cute kittens is very cruel.

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no there are not going to shelters but to good homes like the last lot and no i'm not doing it to get cute little kittens that is why i ask first before letting her go out and get pregnant and it will be more than one kittenthat i'm keeping

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she a purebred that will actually contribute something to the breed? If not, why would you want to breed her? Just to get more kittens? Have you ever visited you animal shelter? For every kitten this queen produces there will be one in the shelter that gets PTS because someone decided to take on of your kittens and not save a life.

Also, why on earth would you want to keep an intact female 'just because'? She will keep going into heat with more frequency, until she is bred, or develops pyometra or uterine cancer, etc. My kitty is spayed and I feel so at piece nothing that I will never have to go through those horrible mood changes and kitty PMS.

Good luck to you, and i hope you decide not to breed

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this would be her first litter the last litter was the mother to 10 month old and we got her sprayed, we got told to let them have at least one litter then spray them but the next lot of kitten the 10 month old has we will get them all spray

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by banshee's mom

this would be her first litter the last litter was the mother to 10 month old and we got her sprayed, we got told to let them have at least one litter then spray them but the next lot of kitten the 10 month old has we will get them all spray
Who told you to let a cat have at least one litter? That's very irresponsible "advice" that you shouldn't be following. Please discuss the matter with a vet.

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so you think that having them spray is not being cruel for a female cat i think that is wrong but then we all have our opions all i asked was is it to young for my 10 month old cat to have kittens

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that is a huge myth, and one that causes alot of damage. Cats dont need to have a litter before they get SPAYED (not sprayed). By letting her have one litter you are contributing to the overpopulation program. Do you have any idea how many cats can be produced out of one breeding?

My sons grandmother had one male cat. Some a**hole dumped off 2 female kittens and a male. Those two females produced 9 kittens, and shortly after giving brth they produced 7 more. Thats 20 cats, in a 6 month time span. Out of those 16 kittens, 6 were female. Now suppose each of those females would have had 3 kittens, and those three kittens had 3 more.

Do you see how a problem can escalate? Please dont believe that BS that cats need to have a litter before they are spayed. You are just fooling yourself into contributing to the overpopulation.

Good luck

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so you think that having them spray is not being cruel for a female cat i think that is wrong but then we all have our opions all i asked was is it to young for my 10 month old cat to have kittens
NO its not cruel. What is cruel is to let a 10 month old BABY have kittens 'just because'. If you SPAY (not spray) her she will not 'yearn' for her loss. She will be a happier, friendlier cat because of it. Cats are not humans. They dont grieve for their inability to reproduce, like a woman would.

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what ever i will ask my vet instead as i'm from the uk not US

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I honestly don't think it matters if you are from the UK, US, or Timbuktu. It really is not in your kitten's (and yes at 10 months she is still a kitten) best interest to have babies. You have been given some good information and advice here at this site in answer to your original question, but it appears to me (and I could be wrong) that you really aren't interested in this advice as you seem to dismiss it with a "whatever".

Please, if you care about your cats (which I'm assuming you do), have them neutered/spayed for their health and for the sake of not bringing more kittens into a world that is full of unwanted/waiting for homes/waiting to be PTS kitties.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am from the UK, though living in France, and the advice I would give is the same. Cats do not know the difference between being able to have kittens or not, and by spaying her you will be protecting her from many diseases, as well as helping to control the cat population. In the Uk there are many cat shelters and organisations with many kittens to rehome, and for every one born to cats such as yours, there is less chance of a shelter cat finding a home. But of course ask your vet. All vets I know in hte UK would say the same thing, and may even help you find another kitten, if you want one in the future. Most vets have more than one litter on their books.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As Yosemite said, I do not think it matters where your from.

What I dont understand, is why you would want your 10 month old kitten to wander around outside, looking for a mate. There are far too many dangers out there for her to encounter. How horrible would it be for her to not come home one night, only because you wanted her to have kittens.

I do hope you do get your kitten spayed, as it is in her best interest. If you do want another kitten, please go to your local shelter, there are many there looking for a wonderful home.

banshee's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat does not wonder and as i have 2 cats bring a kitten from the shelter would be unfair on my cats as their would fight do you think that is fair?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been reading this thread and am rather surprised that you have not had your cat spayed already.
It is not necessary to let them breed to be 'complete'--that is an old wive's tale.
Ten months is much too young. You risk losing the queen as well as the kittens.
There are 78 million pets euthanized in the USA every year since they do not have homes. Eighty per cent of the cats in the shelter are put down because they can't home them. I don't know the figure in Great Britain but there are certainly a lot of homeless cats everywhere.
It is much better for you (and for the cat's health) to spay your cat and enjoy her company and let the people who want cute kittens get them from a reputable shelter or foster home. It's kinder to your cat and to the others who need good homes.

I hope that this convinces you to have your cat spayed and not let her have a litter.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to add that by allowing your kitty to go outside and mate with a randome male cat you could possibly be exposing her and her kittens to many different diseases, the worst of which are FIV (feline aids) and FeLV (feline leukemia) please reconsider and spay your baby, it is the very best thing you can do for her and all the kittens waiting for homes in shelters