Bad Sportsmanship in Show halls

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering. Have any of you had any bad show experiences? I've heard of instances where bad show/sportsmanship was displayed when cats that gained BOB did not final and the owners were upset!

Anyone here have a similar experience?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh.......I've seen my fair share of bad conduct in the show halls. I've actually seen people pack up their stuff and cats in the middle of a show and storm out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, when you show long enough, you see the bad sportsmanship! Worse one was this particular rex breeder who thought the cat show revolved around any of her cats and should be BOB and finalled - no matter how they looked.

She was showing a rex with a very sparse coat (in the standard coat counts for 40 out of 100 points). There were a few other rexes with much better coats on them and type-wise both were equal.

Well HER cats did not place above the others (mainly cause of coat) and I heard her say something like "does that judge know WHO I am???" If she had shown cats with full coats, it would be another story. She was pretty po'd at the time and let it be known.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This story is cute:

A brand new cat club's very first show and there either wasn't enough rosettes or the rosettes were wrongly worded...a cat finalled and the owner was called to recieve the rosette. He took the rosette, saw that it was wrong one and started screaming at the judge in a different language to the judge. The judge was dumbfounded and the show security/committee took the owner away. The owner packed up his stuff and stormed out the show hall. 3 minutes later, his cat was called to final again! In fact, it was a four ring show and his cat would have likely to have finalled in all four rings!

The moral is: Be a good sport - show committees do make mistakes. Forgive them! By walking out, you may be missing the best day of your show career!

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been going to the shows with my friends that show ragdolls. I have seen some really poor behavior by breeders . I think if you approach the shows with an attitude of just having fun...you will. Little skye is show quality and I will be taking him out in a few months. Of course , I think he is perfect...but I can guarantee I wont be stormin out if the judges dont think so! Remy is pet quality...but I think he's perfect too *winks*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best in Show is about dogs, not cats and really between the two, I don't know which is worse! The cat equivalent of Best in Show is "In Search of Excellence - Show Cats" - not a movie, but a PBS Documentary. I found it interesting but not as funny as Best in Show!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

and I heard her say something like "does that judge know WHO I am???" If she had shown cats with full coats, it would be another story.
One point is the judges are supposed (or at least pretend) not to know who the owner is - or even who the cat is, the cats presented by numbers, never names...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I've actually seen people pack up their stuff and cats in the middle of a show and storm out.
They are supposed not to do this. Only exceptions it may be allowed is if somebody is sick and the exhibitions-secretary lets them go.

People leaving the exhibition before finale is over do get banned from futher participation.
In any case in european FIFe-contests.