Food Allergy - Dog Food

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm at my wits end with Napolean's food allergies. About a week ago I finally had to bring him in, we gave him DTK and flushed his ears and gave him a depomedrol injection. We're using a new vet [same practice, just someone with fresh ideas]. He's reacting to MeowMix Pouches now. One theory my vet has is that he's allergic to meat protein, because he's reacted to everything given to him.

To make things more annoying is that he can't eat any of the IVD products [duck & pea, venison & pea] because he's allergic to peas. Originally the company had potato and duck etc. for cats but apparently cats don't like potatoes. I'm close to making my own home made food as my vet gave me a recipe, but before I do that because I really have no time in my life, I thought of something else.

Hill's makes a d/d diet, and they also have a Egg Whites & Rice diet, very bland, but only for dogs.

My thought is that I could potentially feed Napolean a canned dog food, like IVD Venison and Potato for dogs, supplement it with RAW meat like Elk/Deer/Emu etc. just so we can decide if he'll react to the food, also add in a taurine supplement and a multivitamin/mineral supplement, and it's basically balanced because he'll get the amino acids and other nutrients lacking in the dog food from the RAW meat. The vet says it is possible, but we need to check on protein and carbs. What do you guys think? It's really out there, but I have no clue what else to do for him. I figure with the dog food at least it's partially complete aside from what I have to add. If it doesn't work out, then I'll have to go to a home made diet and look at something like Emu or something... but anyway I just thought I'd see if I could get some input, maybe even new foods to try.

I'm too lazy to link all my posts for anyone reading this, but my cat is allergic to everything, you name it and we've tried it. He digs at his ears and his face and this is his 3rd depomedrol injection. The risk of diabetes isn't HUGE, but it's there and I wish we could just find a food he could eat, rather than giving him steroids all the time.

Any ideas are appreciated!

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doesn't hills have a Z/D for animals allergic to everything? It's gross looking, but I think it's all hydrolized proteins or some such, which negates? the risk of allergy to a specific type of animal protein.. The ingredient list is atrocious, but if you can't get anything else to work..

You could also try california natural herring and sweet potato, since those two ingredients weren't on your list of things tried.
ingredients for it are:

Herring, Barley, Oatmeal/Rolled Oats, Herring Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vitamins/Minerals

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner. It's made with millet, rabbit, some chicken, and a lot of good 'neutraceuticals'. The canned version contains no chicken, only rabbit.
My allergic cat loves this food and it's doing her a lot of good.

You can buy this food on amazon.com

PLEASE don't feed your baby dog food! it's very bad for cats!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the cal natural herring and sweet potato is also excellent; Gizmo liked it, but she still prefers her rabbit.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My suggestion would be that it's time for raw. Use a novel meat source (like emu/elk/deer which you've suggested) and cater a diet to what you know he isnt' allergic to. It may take some time to prepare once in a while, but make a lot at once and freeze it for later use! You've tried everything, and you seem so frustrated, and I've seen such success with allergies and raw, it just seems like perhaps it's time to seriously consider it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

My suggestion would be that it's time for raw. Use a novel meat source (like emu/elk/deer which you've suggested) and cater a diet to what you know he isnt' allergic to. It may take some time to prepare once in a while, but make a lot at once and freeze it for later use! You've tried everything, and you seem so frustrated, and I've seen such success with allergies and raw, it just seems like perhaps it's time to seriously consider it...
I agree... also remember some animals are allergic to the cooking process ... Kandie cant have much chn in her canned but the raw doesnt react ...

I did give Kandie some dog food( still do ) under vet supervision but it is hard to find the right % in a dog food unless it is canned .... And most of the % suitable to try would have chicken or lamb as main ingrediants .... I tried the egg diet , no one would touch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't hills have a Z/D for animals allergic to everything? It's gross looking, but I think it's all hydrolized proteins or some such, which negates? the risk of allergy to a specific type of animal protein.. The ingredient list is atrocious, but if you can't get anything else to work..
He's allergic to the z/d and it also gives him wicked diarrhea. I've used it as an "inbetween" food when trying diets, but it still made him itchy.

You could also try california natural herring and sweet potato, since those two ingredients weren't on your list of things tried.
ingredients for it are:

Herring, Barley, Oatmeal/Rolled Oats, Herring Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vitamins/Minerals
That would be something to try, I'll see if I can get it.

Use Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner. It's made with millet, rabbit, some chicken, and a lot of good 'neutraceuticals'. The canned version contains no chicken, only rabbit.
My allergic cat loves this food and it's doing her a lot of good.
He's allergic to rabbit.

PLEASE don't feed your baby dog food! it's very bad for cats!
It's only bad for cats because it doesn't have the right amount of protein and amino acids like taurine, cystein, mehtionine etc. Again, if supplemented, I don't see the problem.

He has been on a raw diet before, I tried turkey, just because he had never had it before, and we still had problems. Raw and homemade is the next step, however it just goes back to food trialing and I really don't have time to do it. If I have to, we will be doing it, but I'd like to have a complete food now rather than try to make one.

I agree... also remember some animals are allergic to the cooking process ... Kandie cant have much chn in her canned but the raw doesnt react ...
I talked to an allergist and there is no difference between cooked and RAW. It could be the way it's prepared when it's canned, and not the actual chicken setting her off. Just FYI.

I did give Kandie some dog food( still do ) under vet supervision but it is hard to find the right % in a dog food unless it is canned .... And most of the % suitable to try would have chicken or lamb as main ingrediants .... I tried the egg diet , no one would touch
Yeah? That's what my vet said, so finding a balance would be hard, but that's why I was thinking I could give him some canned, and then raw meat so he gets what he needs from the meat, but also has a complete source of nutrition. I don't know if Napolean would eat the egg diet, but he might. The only food he ever refused was Nature's Variety Raw.
----

I do agree going raw will be the next step... but if I can find a complete food I'd be a lot happier lol :p

What makes me so mad is that they have ALL these diets for dogs, and for cats it's always ____ & pea, or some stupid thing that he'll be allergic to and it sucks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a difference in the heat / inflamation responce of different meats and IT CAN change how the animal reacts is your vet trained in oriental medicine if not , it is unlikely they would know that info... I have tested it and found it quite true

Dog diets are much easier to make balenced than a cat diet and until recently most allergies to food were found in dogs 10 to 1 to cats ...

Try a basic raw ( nature variety may be complete but it is far from basic and my girls said no to
)... my vet just gave me a supplement for meat and bones that makes it complete so far so good all three have eaten it

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a difference in the heat / inflamation responce of different meats and IT CAN change how the animal reacts is your vet trained in oriental medicine if not , it is unlikely they would know that info... I have tested it and found it quite true
The allergist was from an allergy clinic, I've never been to see her but she was in an x-ray safety class with me.

Try a basic raw ( nature variety may be complete but it is far from basic and my girls said no to )... my vet just gave me a supplement for meat and bones that makes it complete so far so good all three have eaten it
Do you know what the supplement was called? A lot of the raw supplements I have found have veggies and things in them that my cat could be allergic to.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought the California Natural Salmon and Sweet Potatoe. Here's hoping!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one I have now is called feline instict ( who knows if I spelled that right

Realize that is very high in mag and phos ... but overall a great food