My jaw hurts!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, it's a tooth I need pulled and I don't have the courage to do it. When I woke up this morning my jaw was swollen and puffy. I took a couple Advils in hopes that it would subside... it did until I just ate some Dortios.. Now it' hurts

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be really careful with that, especially now that it's swollen and puffy. A good friend of ours almost died because he didn't want to get a tooth pulled. It got infected and he didn't realize it. When he finally went to the doctor about it, they told him that if he would have waiting another day he would have been hospitalized at best, and possibly died. The infection had gotten into his bone and had almost made it up to his brain! He had to have a shunt put into his mouth/jaw to disinfect the area twice a day, as well as antibiotics. He said that REALLY hurt!

Don't wait or be scared to get it done. It's for your health and it really is important!!

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ouch! I hope you feel better. I don't know if Advil has the same stuff as Motrin, but I know Mortin helps me when I have aches. Feel better. Watch some tv, I know when I watch Monk, I always feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Be really careful with that, especially now that it's swollen and puffy. A good friend of ours almost died because he didn't want to get a tooth pulled. It got infected and he didn't realize it. When he finally went to the doctor about it, they told him that if he would have waiting another day he would have been hospitalized at best, and possibly died. The infection had gotten into his bone and had almost made it up to his brain! He had to have a shunt put into his mouth/jaw to disinfect the area twice a day, as well as antibiotics. He said that REALLY hurt!

Don't wait or be scared to get it done. It's for your health and it really is important!!
Luckily, I'm on REALLY strong antibiotics from this bronchitis/pnuemonia I have.
I called around to some dentists the other day about it. I was told that it would be $400-$500 to have it pulled!
I don't have insurance either

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh my gosh why so much for 1 tooth? Is it a Moler or what? I hope it feels better soon
Yeap. it's a molar and it has to be surgically removed because it's wrapped around my jaw on the bottom... hurts like a ....................

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

You could try some of that Orajel stuff the jel type, it might help some maxium strength
Been there, done that... it's not the actually tooth.. it's my jaw... I can touch the tooth and all.. it's under it

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Oh no!! That sounds so painful...Get it out already!!! Like a bandaid, just do it!
If I had the money, I woulda done it a LONG time ago

What makes it worse is my parents are out of town now and I have no one to gripe to about it
So you guys will be getting the brunt of my complaining for the next 10 days

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man!!! That's alot for the removal of a tooth.
So you guys will be getting the brunt of my complaining for the next 10 days
Complain away, I'll listen

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... molar teeth are a pain, especially when they start to ache. Messing around with them can also lead to severe nerve damage (facial nerve runs through there). If you have a bad dentist and get your wisdom teeth pulled wrong you can permanently lose the ability to smile.

Try some ice on the jaw, might help a bit.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
DixieDarlin,

It sounds like you are headed towards a mandibular or maxillar abcess, if you are not already there. I study skeletal remains and cannot count the number of archaeological cases that the cause of death was the exact same thing. Hopefully, the antibiotics will help. If the pain is in the jaw, rather than the tooth, this is a medical emergency and WILL be treated by an ER rather than a dentist.

Hope you feel better.

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a dentist told me to do is wash
your mouth out with warm salty water. You may have to do it several times a day. If that doesn't help get like Listerne and rinse
your mouth out with that. If you are really brave take a piece of dental floss and literally cut the gum with that enough to make it bleed and spit
the blood out. That should ease it enough to hold you until you can get to a dentist with it.

Sorry to hear that you are in pain and I hope this helps some.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you Dixiedarlin, I was in the same position in July and I had a wisdom tooth extracted a couple of years back. Hang tough!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really should get that looked at

A bad tooth can lead to all kinds of complications including menigitis. It's extremely important to look after ear and tooth/gum/eye infections immediately. Not only can it spread to your brain, but also your bone.

Talk to your dentist and explain about not having insurance and work out a payment plan. Or go to an ER. Everyone is entitled to proper health care, health insurance or not. There are free clinics and hospitals that tend to patients who don't have insurance.

Don't sit there in pain. You say you are on antibiotics for something, but that may not be the right antibiotic for whatever infection is going on with your tooth, and even if it is, that's not solving the problem with the tooth, just keeping the infection at bay and not doing a very good job of it considering the pain you are in.

I can't make you go and get it taken care of, but as a nurse I'm strongly advising you to do so before it turns into something worse and costs even more money.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would Visit your local er, tell them the insurance issue and ask for a list of their dentists. Here they give you the low cost or Sliding scale dentists. A life saver.

misspremier007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, im a trained dental nurse, is it a wisdom tooth that has not grown through yet, or is the tooth through(if that makes sence). I would advice you to ignore the comment about cutting yourgum as this could spread the infection, and also introduce new bacteria into the wound. I agree with rinsing with warm salty water. Let me know about the tooth

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by misspremier007

Hello, im a trained dental nurse, is it a wisdom tooth that has not grown through yet, or is the tooth through(if that makes sence). I would advice you to ignore the comment about cutting yourgum as this could spread the infection, and also introduce new bacteria into the wound. I agree with rinsing with warm salty water. Let me know about the tooth
I pmed you

Don't get me started on ER's around here

I did get antibiotics for my cough but as for teeth they won't do anything but give you pain meds for a day and tell you to see your dentist withen 24 hours