How do you brush under their legs and tummy?

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cierron is fluffy enough that if I don't groom him regularly, he gets tangles and mattes under his legs and between them. He lets me brush him on his back and tail but when I try to roll him over and do his underarms he won't let me or runs away. He's getting quite matted there. How can I brush him??

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to hold Sapphire, who is a long haired Dilute Calico, by holding her up at the scruff of the neck and brushing at the same time to get her belly.It's the only way other than have one of my skin kids to hold her down and roll her over while I brush her.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the term 'skin kid' and 'fur kid'.

Gizmo lets me brush her tummy when she rolls over in one of the cups on her kitty palace. I often can only brush one part of the cat at a time, but I do what's available, when she's available!

A long haired cat might do better with two people; one to hold the cat standing upright on his hind legs, the other to brush the belly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A brush won't do anything. You need a detangle comb and a fine-toothed comb. Start with a little at a time. On longhairs, I hold the front two legs together and make them stand on the back too and comb the legs/tummy.

But until you get the tangles out, you'll have to make him lay back in your lap and do a little at a time.

You might have to be grooming once a day if he tangles that easily.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A brush won't do anything. You need a detangle comb and a fine-toothed comb. Start with a little at a time. On longhairs, I hold the front two legs together and make them stand on the back too and comb the legs/tummy.

But until you get the tangles out, you'll have to make him lay back in your lap and do a little at a time.

You might have to be grooming once a day if he tangles that easily.
This is pretty good advise and pretty much how I do it. Start with a medium toothed comb and as it gets easier, move to a fine tooth comb. It's usually always difficult to do the underside of a cat. But possible! You just have to do a little at a time according to how the kitty is tolerating. it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks for the advice everyone!!! I do use a comb that has wide and small spaced tooths, I think at first I'll have to cut the tangles out because they're really matted in some places
I'll get my sister to help hold him.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by enkeli-kitten

Cierron is fluffy enough that if I don't groom him regularly, he gets tangles and mattes under his legs and between them. He lets me brush him on his back and tail but when I try to roll him over and do his underarms he won't let me or runs away. He's getting quite matted there. How can I brush him??
I hold Persi's chin up to brush all areas below his chin and then have to pick him up and hold him facing a way from me with his "arms" interlocked over my arms at which time I am free to do all the tummy brushing I want. He is very good about the whole matter though and tries to trick me into forgetting whether I have brushed him for the day yet as he gets a nice treat at the end.