Annie Rose and cat nip

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the first ever cat that is not affected ever by cat nip. Today I took out cat nip for the first time since I got her. She came to live with me like early to mid Ausgust (cant remember exactly). Anyways so I took it out to see if she would actually play if I gave her some cat nip. I have seen her play one time since she came here. That was yesterday and she only slapped at the ball twice before wandering off. Anyways. So I put some down on the floor. She walks over sniffs at it for a little while then strolls off! Kitten went crazy and was playing like a crazy cat. I let Lily have some too but she doesnt get wild she jus rolls around on it and gets really sweet. Does anyone else have a cat that isnt affected by cat nip? Also what exactly causes them to go crazy over cat nip?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nepetalactone is the chemical compound (it is a terpene), the active ingredient in catnip, that cats who are catnip responders, react to. It is found in the essential oil of the plant, which is why those parts with the highest concentration of this - the buds, are the most potent.

All my cats as it turns out, including rescues, are catnip responders.

There are catnip alternatives you can try - toys with honeysuckle in them or valerian.

hth!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing wrong with your cat. Only 50% of all cats respond to catnip. Just play with her using an interactive toy instead of a 'spiced' one and she will be all right.

soxinabox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told when I got the kittens not to give them catnip toys until they were 3 months, if they are given catnip before this age they will be unresponsive to it. I have no idea if this is correct information but I didnt expose either kitten until after 3 months old and both love catnip toys

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by soxinabox

I was told when I got the kittens not to give them catnip toys until they were 3 months, if they are given catnip before this age they will be unresponsive to it. I have no idea if this is correct information but I didnt expose either kitten until after 3 months old and both love catnip toys
Hope you don't mind if I answer? Has nothing to do with whether or not they will eventually like catnip. To respond to catnip, a cat must have inherited certain genes, the second factor is that they must be at least old enough for a first or kitten heat (some breeds start at 4 months)..though there are a few members here who swear their kittens responded to catnip.

So...sounds like their advice was based on them being old enough to respond..but no correct genes, won't matter when they are introduced to it

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cindy isn't affected at all. She sniffs it, and goes on her way. Swanie responds sometimes, sometimes not, but he doesn't really play and get silly. If it's a catnip toy, he'll bit it and kick at it, then wander off and go to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

There is nothing wrong with your cat. Only 50% of all cats respond to catnip. Just play with her using an interactive toy instead of a 'spiced' one and she will be all right.
Annie doesnt play at all period. NEVER. Not with other cats, not with feathered toys, with balls not with anything.