Food Variety?

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Innova dry and wet. I'd like to try to mix their diet up a bit and add in some wet Solid Gold or Felidae because I think they'd enjoy a little more variety (Innova doesn't offer different flavors, at least not at my local store). Are there any drawbacks to doing this? How likely is it that my kitties' tummies will get upset from a change in food? I'm not too worried about Delilah as she occasionally hunts and eats live prey without a problem, but I'm not sure about the kittens (17weeks and 9 weeks). Any opinions?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I frequently change my kittens' wet food and I haven't seen any ill effects. I've been doing this since I adopted them a few months ago at ages 2.5 and 4 months. You could probably start the changes slowly to make sure they're not sensitive to the new food. I just finish one can one day, then open a different can the next day.

Personally, I don't believe in the "perfect food." I think a little variety between brands helps ensure they're getting everything they need. And I've heard of cats getting "addicted" to particular brands and I'd like to prevent that with my kittens. That's why I rotate their wet food.

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's handy if they do eat more than one brand / variety of food - if they only eat one type and it was suddenly discontinued, or the store had sold out of that flavour - you'd be stuck! Kitty would not be happy!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never had a problem with tummy issues feeding a variety of wet foods and I feed so many different brands and flavors, often experimenting what my cats really go for and what they don't like so much. You'd probably be less likely to have tummy issues feeding a variety of wet foods from the start than if you feed the same food for years and then suddently introduce a lot of variety rather than gradually. I think their systems are well adapted to what they're used to and it looks like you're just adding one extra food as a treat. I wouldn't worry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

I've never had a problem with tummy issues feeding a variety of wet foods and I feed so many different brands and flavors, often experimenting what my cats really go for and what they don't like so much. You'd probably be less likely to have tummy issues feeding a variety of wet foods from the start than if you feed the same food for years and then suddently introduce a lot of variety rather than gradually. I think their systems are well adapted to what they're used to and it looks like you're just adding one extra food as a treat. I wouldn't worry.
The only time I have ever had a wet tummy issue is when I went from feeding chn to lamb to beef ..... If switching to a meat that the cats havent had for a while I mix the current meat in with the new