Introducing Stoli's new brother!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't have a name yet and Stoli isn't too happy. His brother is in his own little room with a bed, toys, food/water and litter box. Right now, I'm letting him get acclimated to his new surroundings. Stoli smelled him on me and was hissing up a storm. I just read the articles on introducing new cats into your home. I hope I can do this. Stoli is just so uptight! the new kitten is very very laid back.

any name suggestions? any tricks on getting an anxious cat to accept a playmate?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh he's very cute, I hope all goes well for you, I only had the 2 cats then in less then a year I introduced 6 more into the house and they get along great,

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Wow!

I always tend to name kitties something large, complex, and slightly funny. You boy strikes me as a Pipkin Joseph McGavin. Pipkin Joseph are from Ray Bradburyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Halloween Tree and McGavin is just from the top of my head. I shall not be hurt if you don't use it, or even if you just laugh at it. Just know my boys are named 8-Bit Wolfgang and Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds.

As for the introductions, I'd start a thread in the behavior forum. It's a great place to get a ton of help on stuff like that. The people here at TCS helped me get Bit and Scratch's intro to run smoothly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it ok to start a thread on that? i was under the impression that i was just supposed to read the info thread....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

is it ok to start a thread on that? i was under the impression that i was just supposed to read the info thread....
I would, especially if you have questions that weren't answered in the stickies. A lot of posters are going to tell you to get some Feliway. It's a wonderful product but it's slightly expensive. When I brought Scratch home we used At Ease. It's a lot like Feliway only far less expensive. The whole process can take a long time and you may have some set backs, but just keep at it. Most kitties will end up getting along in the end.

Here are some links to the products I taked about:

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Ge...g582a1069.html

http://www.feliway.com/homefeliway.nsf

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a gorgeous kitten!! Yes, you can start a post in that forum to get some suggestions.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, he's gorgeous! But of course I love gray kitties!

Good luck on the introductions!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh My He's adorable! I just usually let them work it out. It took Kitten and Bagheera about a week for Kitten to stop hissing at him. It took a car ride to the vets in the same kennel for them to like each other. Which I would NOT advise but I only had one at the time and they both needed to go to the vets.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo, 4crazycats, that vet ride sounded traumatizing.

i've never heard of 'at home' and i will be picking up some at home/feliway tomorrow. i don't want to rush the process, but i don't want to hinder it either
where should i put the feilway? i have a three story place. the kitten is on the top floor and stoli has the rest of the house as 'his' room is on the second floor.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually go to baby naming sites and look through names from a variety of countries and something usually jumps out at me.

He's a beautiful boy and he looks like he's going to be quite big.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, anthony and i had originally decided that when we got another cat, his name would be chekov. but that just doesn't fit now. i'm looking up some egyptian stuff and anthony already said he liked bogey and bunker.

i like Xerxes, not only was he a king, one of handel's opera was named after him AND the largo from that opera was my bridal march............hmmmmm

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i also like osiris as he's in buffy, it's egyptian AND the kitten was born on 6-6-6

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i also like osiris as he's in buffy, it's egyptian AND the kitten was born on 6-6-6
Ooohhh, a 6-6-06 kitten, eh?
There's really only one "devilish" Eqyptian god (though Osiris is the god of the underworld), and that is Set or Seth. Set is the one who killed Osiris and chopped him up into little pieces spread across Egypt that Isis found and put back together to conceive Horus. Anubis is the Jackel-headed god, who is associated with medicine and health.

Of course, with a 6-6-06 baby, you could always name him Damien.

Whatever you name him he is C-U-T-E CUTE!

Going through the introduction process myself with Ginger, Trent and Ophelia (the skittish, high strung one), the best advice I have is just don't rush it! I know with a face like that you'll want the little one out as soon as you can. And I know you'll want Stoli and the baby to play and be friends. But the best way to work that is to make sure that Stoli is the one to tell you that he's ready to meet the baby face to face. We knew that Trent was ready to meet Ginger because he was showing a LOT of interest in her through the screen door we put up ($30 at Home Depot, secured with 2 hook and eyes, so cheap and fairly secure). He still isn't 100% comfortable with her play, since she plays like a kitten and thinks that pouncing on him is play, but they get along pretty good. Ophelia...well, she isn't adapting very well, but is doing better. We're still trying to keep Ginger and Ophelia separated (Ophelia now stays downstairs exclusively
so we keep Ginger in her room at night and when we can't keep an eye on her to keep her upstairs).

With the Feliway, we got the spray so that we could cover both floors without breaking the bank. So far it seems to be working well, though I have heard that the diffuser works much better. However, at $40 a pop for the diffuser, we wanted to try the spray first and see how that worked.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG he has the cutest little face! Congrats!

Ok... I've been putting off leaving for work and I really have to stop looking at Kitty pictures and go!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
more pictures of the new baby - still no name. . .any suggestions ? and i'll add them to my poll........

p. s. i resized them on photobucket. . .i hope it works

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i;ll add it to my list