I'm hoping to change thier minds!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was checking out craigslist and found this ad:
"Greetings,
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking for a kitten, preferably a girl. And any color ex. Black or gray. A kitten that you can recognize while your walking and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t step on. I want it for a little boy whoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s birthday is coming up. He has no pets but has asked for a kitten for a while now. If you have one preferably one to 4 weeks old. If you have one you want to get rid of please let me know.
727-***-****
thank you "

I quickly emailed them with:

Just to let you know 4 weeks old it WAY too young to be taken away from it's mother. They should be 8-12 weeks old. They can develop upper respitory infections and die VERY easily from not being weened at the proper age. Please also consider looking into the SPCA or Humane Society for a new pet. I DO have 4 kittens here but they are only 5 weeks old and they are tuxedo babies. I wish you luck and hope you will take the new kittens age and health into consideration..

Thanks
Alycia

I really hope they change thier mind!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, did they write back? Keep us updated.

Yes, 4 weeks is too young especially for a boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm getting ready to go to my parent's house before they leave to Rome... I will keep ya'll updated

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job!
One week to 4 weeks???? Gawwwwwwwwd.
Some people!

I would have also been tempted to say that a kitten for a little boy's birthday present is a horrible idea but then she may really not want to write you back!
Hopefully you get through!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I'm just curious- why is it worse for a boy???

Both of my guys (9 weeks now!) were 4 weeks old when I found them but they were able to eat, pee & poo on their own!

Hopefully she just didn't realize how old they should be to leave their momma!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I took it to mean that a very young kitten is an especially bad present for a young human boy. Did I get that right?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Both of my guys (9 weeks now!) were 4 weeks old when I found them but they were able to eat, pee & poo on their own!

Hopefully she just didn't realize how old they should be to leave their momma!
I think she meant too young to GIVE to a boy as a pet.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, a kitten is a BAD pet for a young child!!! Can you imagine a young boy with a 1-4 week old kitten??? I'd be surprised if it lives to 8 weeks old...

Get the kid a teddy bear. If they're fairly responsible, then get an older cat - not a kitten and DEFINITELY not a baby kitten!

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, why would they evn think of getting a young boy a kitten that young? They're crazy! Please keep us updated on this, I know this is horrible!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that kittens learn how to be gentle and interact nicely with humans by the mama cat, and that doesn't happen until they are around eight weeks old. Since these people are thinking only about themselves and not the kitten, if you mention this it might hit home.

You could also tell them having a kitten, even twelve weeks old, is EXACTLY like having a new baby at home. Are they prepared to take care of a new baby right now?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I'm so happy you wrote them.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Well, no response yet... I'm a little worried that they'll just disregard it
Then send another message. I would. I'm not sure these people know anything about cats at all and I'm not sure they should even be looking for one. I'd write to them again. But that's just me (and I can be a real PITA!) I just get so fired up about this stuff. People are so ignorant sometimes - it's a living being - not a stuffed animal!