What's your favorite cold remedy?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, DH has been sick since Sunday and this morning, I started coming down with it, too.

I've been taking Airborne and drinking tons of herbal tea. When I'm sick, I try to get plenty of rest. In other words, I have an excuse for taking a nap after dinner.

I don't like cold medicines, especially Sudafed. I hate to be stuffy, but Sudafed makes my brain feel fuzzy.

So what is everyone's favorite rememdy?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm really bad I take alka seltzer cold medicine. Lots of people will take nyquil or that Tylenol pm so they can sleep. I like soaking in the whirlpool bathtub-lots of steam and I'll run a humidifier in the bedroom.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I absolutely must take cold medicine, I choose Alka Seltzer Plus Cold in the Orange Zest flavor. I mix it in with cold water from the frige and it doesn't taste bad and works well. I am not to fond of cold medicines though and only take them when I am trying to make it through a day at work or through a class.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I avoid couch/cold meds as much as possible, I think they inhibit your body's natural defenses, so i usually suffer through my waking hours and sleep as much as possible

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My favorite remedy would be to take the day off of work and lay around all day! Take lots of naps and just be lazy
I normally just deal with the coughing & sneezing or I take some cough medicine... I like Nyquil and Robitussin...

None of that stuff ever makes my head whoozy

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two fingers of high proof peppermint schnapps before sleeping (anytime, even naps).
Lots of hot herbal tea throughout the day.

I stay away from actual drugs unless it is in the sinuses, then I take pseudophedrine (Sudafed etc).

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try anything I can to avoid getting sick. Whenever I get sick, I get it bad.. really high fevers, swollen glands, deep coughs... and everything else. I try to avoid sick people. Whenever I'm around someone that's sick, I fill up on echinacea and vitamin c. I just recently tried airborne. I took that with echinacea, and I was able to save myself from a cold.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick as a dog at the moment....too sick to drive and get my medicine....so for the moment, i'm just drinking some hot tea and have been trying to stay hydrated. I think later i'll take a bubble bath. I feel aweful.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww Nikki

When I'm sick I just sleep and feel sorry for myself. If I have a blocked nose or it's in my sinuses, I do lots of saline rinses in my sinuses and that makes a huge difference.

If it's REALLY bad I eat good hot curries and that's SURE to clear my sinuses out

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TheraFlu works good for me.Other than that,Nyquil and Dayquil.When I get REALLY desperate, then I use Rum and Coke,or Tequilla

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awwww Nikki

When I'm sick I just sleep and feel sorry for myself. If I have a blocked nose or it's in my sinuses, I do lots of saline rinses in my sinuses and that makes a huge difference.

If it's REALLY bad I eat good hot curries and that's SURE to clear my sinuses out
That's sort of what i'm doing. I'm laying down at the moment and Fosters (dog) is keeping me company. We're watching a rerun of last nights "Grey's Anatomy." I still can't breath out of my nose- which is really bothering me- I hate that feeling lol...so I will try a saline rinse later tonight and hopefully that will help
. My right ear is acting up again too....when I get sick,...pressure builds up on my ears usually (I had ear surger last summer on both of them..so sometimes they act up. nothing major though). Hummm other than that, I think i'll just stay laying down a bit- I don't feel good enough to drive at the moment and get my meds. I might have Colin do that for me tomorrow
We'll see. Thanks for your response! Oh, and your brave! I can't do hot curries!!! I get bad reflux from that lol..

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact Severe Cold and Flu!
This stuff works WONDERS!

I also HAVE to be able to breath through my nose, or I'm a total crab so I use nasal spray when I'm sick also

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold-Eeze. (or generic equivalent) Three times in the past month I've had that about-to-get-sick feeling - the scratchy throat, run-down, sleepy, yucky feeling. Three times I have sucked down 3 Cold-Eeze lozenges and in a few hours I'm just fine.

The secret is to keep it handy - at home AND in your desk at work - and to use it early at the very first sign of getting sick.

IT REALLY WORKS!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

So, DH has been sick since Sunday and this morning, I started coming down with it, too.

I've been taking Airborne and drinking tons of herbal tea. When I'm sick, I try to get plenty of rest. In other words, I have an excuse for taking a nap after dinner.

I don't like cold medicines, especially Sudafed. I hate to be stuffy, but Sudafed makes my brain feel fuzzy.

So what is everyone's favorite rememdy?
Lay in bed and die. Ok well I guess that's not exactly a remedy.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make homemade chicken soup with lots of garlic and some onions, and once ready, add some tabasco sauce. Helps clear out the sinuses, bumps up my immune system, and the warm liquid soothes a sore throat.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a cold remedy but this works..

A toddy for colds...

1 cup of freshly boiled water,
2 tabs crushed of some sort of paracetamol,
vit c tablet (500 - 1000mg),
1 tablespoon of brandy and
1 big tablespoon of honey.

Mix altogether and sip while still hot.
You can pop the paracetamol and vit c instead of putting it in the toddy. It WILL make you sleepy!
Before going to sleep, diffuse some essential oils: lavender (2 drops), Peppermint (two drops) and Eucalyptus (2-3 drops).

I usually wake up feeling great after the above - except now, I omit the brandy (I don't drink alcohol anymore!)

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to drink hot tea constantly cup after cup with a bit of honey in it. It soothes the throat and actually kills whatever it contacts (honey is an amazing food, anti-bacteria, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-basically anything that makes you sick).

I also take the hottest bath I can stand to take and I stay in as long as I can (usually ends up being an hour or so). Sort of induces a fever and helps the body kill off whatever virus is causing the cold/flu. Do be careful though, staying in a hot bath for too long will make you extremely dizzy and if you come out too fast and start moving around you'll feel really sick and nausious.

I don't really care for drugs, since most of the time they make me feel worse. I'll take an advil if I have a headache/fever/body aches, but that's about it.

My mom swears by spicy bean sprout soup (basically boil some bean sprouts in a pot, add some ground red pepper, a little sesame seed and freshly chopped scallion, and you just have the broth and sprouts while it's piping hot). Whenever I get sick at my parent's place, she'll make this for me, and it in fact works very well.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well i woke yesterday morning with the sneezes and drippy nose
and again this morning
Doesn't seem to be getting any worse tho'

I do take sudafed if i cant breathe properly, nothing worse than not being able to sleep because you cant breathe. Tend to avoid things like cough medicines as i find that they just dont work for me.

I try to avoid pain killers as well as too many make me feel sick....but i do like the idea of Jack Daniels ....mmmm.....