Job Offer

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you remember awhile back I was offered a job on a thursday and was suppoesed to start on monday but was called to say they had found someone with more experience

Well, Tuesday he called me and wanted to offer me the job again. Apparently they lady he hired lied about her experience and he wanted to offer the job to me as office manager and it pays considerably well. I told him I would think about it and get back to him around 3 today. Well he's left a voicemail and I'm about to call him back soon. DH has started his own business and it was doing great for a while but now it's slowed down and we've been doing small repairs and that's it (he does roofing). I'm thinking about taking the job but I don't want to take it and the business start booming again. With Christmas coming I will definatly need the extra money... Should I take it

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

How unprofessional of him to go back and forth on you like that!
I would take it and then if the business gets busy, give your two weeks...
I agree, the good thing about taking the job is that it's guaranteed money..and if things pick up you can always leave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little torn... see I'm the ONLY woman working there... It's a good thing but a bad thing... Good because I won't have some snot looking over my shoulder AND they know my DH. But bad because there's at least 40 men who work there. When I was on the interview as I walked through being shown around, they all were staring at me. But they DO know my husband and hopefully they would respect it

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually like working with men better than with women...(but not all women are snots though!
)

But (and yes, this is stereotypical) if its a labouring type of place rather than an office (where they tend to be more formal with office codes and policy) then I do find that the men are a little more abrasive, a little more sexist etc...

You have to have a tough as nails personality and a thick skin to work at some places where there is all men (its that primate instinct at work I think)..
But I often find that you can change men's attitudes about seeing women as sexual objects when you convince them that they can work alongside a woman worthy of respect and dignity...

I wouldn't want them simply behaving just because they know my husband but rather because they respect ME as a person..

Good luck!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I actually like working with men better than with women...(but not all women are snots though!
)

But (and yes, this is stereotypical) if its a labouring type of place rather than an office (where they tend to be more formal with office codes and policy) then I do find that the men are a little more abrasive, a little more sexist etc...

You have to have a tough as nails personality and a thick skin to work at some places where there is all men (its that primate instinct at work I think)..
But I often find that you can change men's attitudes about seeing women as sexual objects when you convince them that they can work alongside a woman worthy of respect and dignity...

I wouldn't want them simply behaving just because they know my husband but rather because they respect ME as a person..

Good luck!
I am the same... I get along better working with men then women..
Maybe because I don't fell like there's competition?

I am really used to working around more abrasive people then NOT...I am pretty thick skinned and could probably embarrass some of the men there with jokes
Afterall, DH IS a roofer and some of the guys he's worked with can be pretty foul

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DBF tells me that roofers are the worst for that!
He used to work with a roofer on and off...But I think the worst is the guys that BF used to work with...
Some of them were absolute pigs and some were just abrasive and funny...

I went to a BBQ once and they tried as they may to get me going...I bantered right back and cut them off at the knees..Then I was one of the boys...I don't know what a meek wallflower would have done around these guys..That is kind of scary to think!

But then later, one of the more sexist and vile meaner ones that I "put the boots to" that day (and everyone laughed at him because of it) said to DBF at a poker game one night that I was hitting on one of his co-workers and throwing myself all over him (I literally said two words to the guy all night and we ate dinner beside each other just chatting)...
It didn't help that he said it just as DBF was about to win a hand against him...Some of the other guys then stood up for me (even though they didn't know me) and said that This loser was just being petty and that it was not true at all...
I so wanted to call this guy up and give him a piece of my mind!!!!!

Just let things roll off of you and correct people when they make the wrong assumptions and you should be fine..In short, stand up for yourself!
I think you have the right personality type for that kind of job if that helps!
(that's a good thing)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DBF tells me that roofers are the worst for that!
He used to work with a roofer on and off...But I think the worst is the guys that BF used to work with...
Some of them were absolute pigs and some were just abrasive and funny...

I went to a BBQ once and they tried as they may to get me going...I bantered right back and cut them off at the knees..Then I was one of the boys...I don't know what a meek wallflower would have done around these guys..That is kind of scary to think!

But then later, one of the more sexist and vile meaner ones that I "put the boots to" that day (and everyone laughed at him because of it) said to DBF at a poker game one night that I was hitting on one of his co-workers and throwing myself all over him (I literally said two words to the guy all night and we ate dinner beside each other just chatting)...
It didn't help that he said it just as DBF was about to win a hand against him...Some of the other guys then stood up for me (even though they didn't know me) and said that This loser was just being petty and that it was not true at all...
I so wanted to call this guy up and give him a piece of my mind!!!!!

Just let things roll off of you and correct people when they make the wrong assumptions and you should be fine..In short, stand up for yourself!
I think you have the right personality type for that kind of job if that helps!
(that's a good thing)
Yeap! That's how they are... They all know me now.. They call me MRS.Tennessee now
Whenever they are looking for work, they call Dh and he sends em to me. I have told them MANY times if they don't like me, they can go you know where!