How many litter boxes - 1 cat

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have for your "only" kitty? If you only have 1, do you opt to fill 2 when you go away for a few days?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I may be in the minority but I believe an "only" cat can be just fine with one box. We have a 2500 SF house with one box on the landing to the basement (my plan is to eventually move it into the basement). There is no way my husband would let me put a litter box in a bathroom for all to see (and smell) for the next 18 years. Besides with two children, our upstairs bathroom is can be a noisy chaotic place.

Cats are very smart and not as lazy as you think -- they will adjust to where ever the box is as long as it is in a quiet, private place.

Now, if you are having an inappropriate elimination problem, you may have to try all sorts of things including adding a box.

When you go away, you don't have to add a box but someone should be coming over to scoop it daily. It is not fair to your kitty to have to use a box full of poop and pee while you are gone.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Phenom was an only child she had only one box. We had no problems. I did fill an extra box when we went away for a day or two so my mom wouldn't have to scoop. Any more than 2 days mom has to scoop!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have one box for Ceci. My son is too curious and the bathroom is the only place he doesnt explore. Im very good at scooping (extremely picky) and I scoop about 3 times a day, so her box is always very clean.

It may be too soon to declare victory but I have yet to have my bathroom smell like cat.

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We only have one for our "only cat." It is in the dining/breakfast area, and our apartment is small and only 1 bedroom (and I don't like stepping on litter when I am in the bathroom), so the dining room works for us.

We will probably leave a second litter box for the cat sitter to use if she knows she is going to not be able to come clean it the next day, but for 1-2 night vacations, we are fine with just one. I don't want him to get used to peeing in one and #2ing in the other though, so I hesitate to put two out.

I am anal retentive about the litter box though, so I clean ours at least 1-2 times a day.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just have one box for our one cat. We have it in the first floor laundry room. If we go away overnight, I scoop it and put more litter in right before we leave. If we're going to go longer, which we haven't yet (we've only had our kitty for 2 months), I'm going to pay someone to come over and scoop it daily.

tick-n-thistle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think one box is plenty for one (or even two) cats. As meow meow said, cats are very smart creatures, and they will have no trouble finding the box even in a large house.

When you go away, your kitty would probably appreciate having an extra box!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I got Polly, Prego just had one box. As long as your kitty is using it faithfully, I think one box is fine. However, if they start going outside the box, the first thing I'd do is add another.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Delilah was an only kitty, we had just one box and never had a problem. She and Blue shared a single box for awhile too, until Blue decided for about a week that she preferred to go behind our entertainment center
- added a second box. (Blue uses both boxes - Delilah uses only the one she's always used.)

Now we have Midget, and she's been using box #2 exclusively. I'm hoping two boxes will be enough for the three of them, but I could add one more box at some point if I had to. 3 boxes is my limit though - I don't have anyplace to put a fourth.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had two, but I found that Jamie was only using one of them, no matter where I set the second one up, so we're back to one. I imagine I'll again add a second on another floor later when he's older and less active.
We have somebody come everyday if we're away, even for a weekend, so the question of filling up an extra box has never come up.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby had only one box until a few months ago. When we went away for a week in August we added a second box even though we had someone coming in every day. She seems to really like it. She uses one to pee, one to poop.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pip only has one box. He's very fastidious about having it cleaned! It is just outside the bathroom door (bathroom is way too small with laundry basket and litter tray!) and he only goes to poo when I am home so that I can scoop it and will meow until he's hoarse for me to clear it away! I do a complete litter change weekly as I'm a "nunu" (South African for bacteria/bug) freak and if I can smell his box (he's got terribly strong and smelly wee and he's neutered!) so can all sorts of little "gogo's" (another funny south african word for bug/bacteria)!

We've not been away yet since we moved into our flat and Pippin became an indoor only cat... until then, I'll give having 2 boxes while away a thought!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stoli has one he does both in and the new kitten has one to do both in. since the kitten is so new i don't know how the litter box thig will pan out.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I am a maniac. I have a three story house so I have one on each floor plus the main floor has one extra because she likes to urinate in one and defecate in the other. ( I keep them n an unused shower stall) we have two adults in our house and five toilets so we are just as spoiled as she.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

Cats are very smart and not as lazy as you think -- they will adjust to where ever the box is as long as it is in a quiet, private place.
Some of them are that lazy! We always had one litterbox, upstairs, with our previous cat (who passed away several years before we got our current cat) so we did the same when we got the cat we have now.... Then we discovered how lazy she was. Sometimes she would not bother going upstairs if she was on the first floor and had to use the litterbox, she would instead go and defecate in the bathtub! My family members objected to having a litterbox on the main floor but I finally just put one in... The odd thing is she has not used the new litterbox but she also has not been using the bathtub (or any other inappropriate place) as a littlebox since we got it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok - i have two litter boxes, stoli's and the little kitten's. up until 2 minutes ago each used their own for everything. . .

well....

the little kitten just pooped in stoli's litter box. . . . now what!!!!!!!!!!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

ok - i have two litter boxes, stoli's and the little kitten's. up until 2 minutes ago each used their own for everything. . .

well....

the little kitten just pooped in stoli's litter box. . . . now what!!!!!!!!!!!
When I first got Polly, she was only a little over 2 lbs. So we made her a very small litterbox of her own out of a dishpan with the sides cut down. She wanted to use Prego's big box. Sometimes I think the kittens want to do whatever they see the big cat do.

hrmom26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my older cat magic has been with my family for 8 years but we rescued her as a stray so i don't no her real age but i started this year putting a box on every floor 3 total.