What book are you reading?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who's it by? What's it about?
What's your favortie book and who's your favorite author?

I'm a bookworm. I LOVE to read. Especially horror, suspense and mystery.
I LOVE Stephen King. My favorite book is Desperation by him.
Right now I'm reading "Cell" by Stephen King.
I'm just through the first chapter and it's about people going crazy from using cellphones

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we go again! LOL

Right now I'm not reading anything, but Stephen King is also my fave author and I too LOVE to read!!

I read Cell a couple of months ago, and I thought it was awesome! Its one of those that you can't put down! I liked Desperation but my favorite Stephen King book of all time is Rose Madder, one of his weirdest, but still my favorite. Coming in a close second would have to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That one was awesome too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Here we go again! LOL

Right now I'm not reading anything, but Stephen King is also my fave author and I too LOVE to read!!

I read Cell a couple of months ago, and I thought it was awesome! Its one of those that you can't put down! I liked Desperation but my favorite Stephen King book of all time is Rose Madder, one of his weirdest, but still my favorite. Coming in a close second would have to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That one was awesome too.
It's my net twin!

I was SO into this book earlier today that I was reading while DH was driving and I made myself carsick because I couldn't put it down!

So far, I've gotten to where they are close to Tom's house and the religious lady is walking and talking to Alice. If I wasn't so addicted to TCS, I would have my nose in it now

I also picked up Stephen's Insomnia but haven't started on it yet

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, Insomnia...I usually fly through books pretty quickly, but that one took me ages to finish!! I just couldn't get into it like his others...

Another one I just thought of that is really, really good if you haven't read it already is Bag of Bones. Its an old one, but its great.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Who's it by? What's it about?
What's your favortie book and who's your favorite author?

I'm a bookworm. I LOVE to read. Especially horror, suspense and mystery.
I LOVE Stephen King. My favorite book is Desperation by him.
Right now I'm reading "Cell" by Stephen King.
I'm just through the first chapter and it's about people going crazy from using cellphones
Stephen King, Stephen King, Stephen King. That's all I ever read. In fact SK can't write fast enough for me!

If you like King - you'll like the Cell!
It's one of his more "gruesome" ones! The first chapter is good....but (as always with King) - you won't be able to put it down and you won't want to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom without turning on every light in your house first.
Enjoy!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was waiting for my work permit to come through I was an absolute bookworm. I love soppy happy ending type books, and discovered Nora Roberts, and loved reading happy fun stories like hers and Janet Evanovich's books.

I also started diversifying my reading list a little more and read a bunch of biographies - a series of a guy who was mentally and physically abused as a child, one of a girl who grew up on the Gaza strip, and the troubles she faced, one of a guy who got sent to Alcatraz, and his life. I also read a fantastic book called "Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell". It's long, and takes a while to get into, but well worth it!! It's touted as the "grown up Harry Potter". It's about magicians set in older England times, and is a fantastic book which I can't recommend enough.

I don't really have a favourite author, and will read anything recommended to me, and I like mysteries, but I try to stay away from horror and suspense because I have a REALLY active imagination and REALLY vivid dreams...

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck

I just finished a few books recently: The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, Letter to a Christian Nation and The End of Faith both by Sam Harris and Beyond Talent by Angela Myers Beeching

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Oh gosh, Insomnia...I usually fly through books pretty quickly, but that one took me ages to finish!! I just couldn't get into it like his others...

Another one I just thought of that is really, really good if you haven't read it already is Bag of Bones. Its an old one, but its great.
Bought it when it came out... Read it MANY times!
Before I divorced my ex husband, I had almost all his books. A lady across the street was a collector and when she passed away her sold me over 300 books for $20!

I even had her autographed Stand by Me poster from him.. I was in heaven. unfortunatly, my ex sold them to another collector for $500 before our divorce was final.. he did have to pay me pack for them though... still made me mad

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Stephen King, Stephen King, Stephen King. That's all I ever read. In fact SK can't write fast enough for me!

If you like King - you'll like the Cell!
It's one of his more "gruesome" ones! The first chapter is good....but (as always with King) - you won't be able to put it down and you won't want to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom without turning on every light in your house first.
Enjoy!
When I was reading it, my cell phone rang and I was honestly a little scared to pick it up.. I sent it to voicemail... didn't want to talk to my ex-husband right then anyways

It's hard to believe that a man who writes so vividly of death and horror is terrified of rats and airplanes

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bought it when it came out... Read it MANY times!
Before I divorced my ex husband, I had almost all his books. A lady across the street was a collector and when she passed away her sold me over 300 books for $20!

I even had her autographed Stand by Me poster from him.. I was in heaven. unfortunatly, my ex sold them to another collector for $500 before our divorce was final.. he did have to pay me pack for them though... still made me mad
You had an autographed piece! I'm sooooo jealous! I would love to meet King someday.

I use to work at a place with a guy who owned a bed and breakfast and King would stay there once a year. He told me he would tell me the next time he came to stay. Unfortunately the company sucked and I left before he came.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

You had an autographed piece! I'm sooooo jealous! I would love to meet King someday.

I use to work at a place with a guy who owned a bed and breakfast and King would stay there once a year. He told me he would tell me the next time he came to stay. Unfortunately the company sucked and I left before he came.
Yeah I was less then happy about him selling it.
When he was in that accident a few years ago, I literally cried.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah I was less then happy about him selling it.
When he was in that accident a few years ago, I literally cried.
Me too! I was worried!
I can't believe you had to sell it! I would have been so mad!
I'll tell you what - why don't you fly up to Mass and we can go hunt him down in Maine to get a new autograph for both of us!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love King too. Just finished Salems Lot. I've read Firestarter, The Dead Zone, The Stand, Cell, The Eyes of the Dragon, Desperation, The Regulators, Hearts in Atlantis The Talisman, Black House and the Dark Tower series. Either of you read The Dark Tower books?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want an autographed piece too!! Can I put that on my christmas list??

I too nearly cried when he had the accident, what would we do if there were no more new Stephen King books??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhhh...two medical journals, a book on abnormal sexual dysfunctions and how it relates to psychology, and one literary journal....blahh...nothing exciting. i'd much rather read a michael chrichton book or something by shakespeare!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
right now,
Wicked-the life and times of the wicked witch of the west.
and just started to re-read A feast for Crows

favorite author- i will have to go with Tolkien. since those where the first books that i found fun to read. Before that all i would read was history books

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also a big Steven King fan. Living in Maine I would have to be. I have stopped and looked at his house a couple of years ago. And right now I am reading his wifes new book. I just got it at the library this afternoon. I have been trying to get it but its always been out. Its called "Candles Burning" by Tabitha King and Michael MCDowell. I read her other book a few years ago. She also is a excellant writer. Have any of you read her books?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone read any H. P. Lovecraft? He was very influential to Stephen King and other modern horror writers. He wrote short stories based on his nightmares... his work is classified as horror/fantasy/sci-fi. If you've ever heard of the Cthulhu Mythos or the Necronomicon, that's Lovecraft!

His writings are bone-chilling scary, not blood-and-guts. I can't describe his writings, I can only say that I read his books when I lived in New England (where he lived and where his stories take place) and I have NEVER, EVER been so creeped out! It still affects me.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch