Cat has diarrhea! Help! :(

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 yr old cat Baby suddenly (as of today) has diarreah, and I have no idea why. She's an indoor cat, and has been on the same food for awhile now (innova evo). I know with dogs it generally helps to feed a bland chicken and rice diet, but my cat so won't go for that, so I need some help (because she's err leaving messes wherever she sits after she's done using the litter box)

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try giving her a little canned pumpkin, (plain pumpkin, not the pie filling), however; any sudden changes in health for no reason should probably include a visit to the vet to rule out anything serious.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second Tru's advice.

If Baby won't eat plain chicken, try some turkey or chicken baby food (make sure there's no onion powder in it). Many cats love baby food. I use Gerber's stage 2. Because it's all meat and contains no fiber, it *sometimes* will help with diarrhea.

In certain situations diarrhea is an indication that fiber is needed (pumpkin is great for that) so it depends on the cause of the diarrhea. If Baby hasn't had bloodwork done fairly recently, since she's 10 years old you should definitely get her to the vet for that. Changes in health can start to occur around this age - so it's a good idea to get bloodwork and a thorough exam, especially with this sudden bout of diarrhea.

Hope Baby will be doing much better soon. Please let us know.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The SAME thing happened with my almost 7 year old cats last year. I had been gone for 5 days during Christmas, and when I came home, both had it. I took them to the vet the next day, and they ended up having to stay 2 nights! The vet had to give them antibiotics and anti-diarrhea stuff. Humble had to stay an extra day.

He thought it may have been nerves because I had not left them like that for over a year, and they also might have gotten into something.

I say take your kitty to the vet!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only pumpkin I can find in my grocery store is the pie filling, and Ginger turned her nose up at it and walked away.

Where can I get the real stuff? Can I give her raw pumpkin? There are pumpkins for sale EVERYWHERE around here, and she just developed runny stool out of nowhere, too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just get a small pumpkin, peel it, cut it into small pieces, put it in a liitle water in the microwave, and cook till soft. Then mash it with a fork.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Just get a small pumpkin, peel it, cut it into small pieces, put it in a liitle water in the microwave, and cook till soft. Then mash it with a fork.
I'll definitely do that, thank you!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie likes it with a little bit of butter mixed in, and will even beg for it. I'm starting to see canned food here (Europe) with pumpkin in it. With some cats, you have to mix it in with their food, but a lot of them like it, and will eat it "plain".

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also give the cat some chicken soup to drink. This will keep her hydrated in case she's not drinking water. Do please get her to the vet, or to the emergency room if there is one nearby.

chaunte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes get the cat checked & don't give up!
My 8 year old cat just died & she had cronic diareah for 2 years & the vets had no clue. ]
At the end, they assumed it was Lukemiah & she had an infection in her intestines & turned anemic.

Good Luck with your baby!!!