Nail Caps?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are nail caps safe for cats? Ive been looking at the nail caps that are sold in catalogs and Im thinking of getting some for Ceci. What is the purpose of this? Im sorry if this sounds vain but I love how the colored caps look on the kitties.

My plan would be to keep them on her for a month or so just until she is comfortable with my son. Shes not a scratcher but I dont want to give her the chance to scratch at my baby, his father would die!

Anyone use these caps? How long do they last on the cat? Can they get them off?

s1mba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got softpaws (nail caps) for my cat. She was use to going outside all the time then we moved into an apartment & she began clawing everything. Softpaws works great! It only stays on for a few weeks (2-3). They fall off on their own. Some take a longer time then others. The only part I hated doing was actually putting them on her. She would try to get away. She never understood why her mama was holding her paws and putting these funny colored things on her nails.

Anyway. They work great. here is a site to get some www.pixiepets.com look for softpaws.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Are nail caps safe for cats? Ive been looking at the nail caps that are sold in catalogs and Im thinking of getting some for Ceci. What is the purpose of this? Im sorry if this sounds vain but I love how the colored caps look on the kitties.

My plan would be to keep them on her for a month or so just until she is comfortable with my son. Shes not a scratcher but I dont want to give her the chance to scratch at my baby, his father would die!

Anyone use these caps? How long do they last on the cat? Can they get them off?
I believe you are referring to Soft Paws Nail Caps. www.softpaws.com I use them & LOVE them. There is an information page on their website. If you have any ohter questions that the webpage doesn't answer, feel free to ask!

BTW-I don't think you are vain for liking the way they look. I do too. That's part of the allure of them.

My kitties can get them off, usually one of two falls off right away & I replace them. Otherwise they fall off over 6-8 weeks.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use them and LOVE them!!! We will NOT go without them.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also recommend PixiePets... that's who I go through too.

I like the Soft Claws but I've noticed a few things about them. I've put them on Maui probably about three times (we got black!). The first time was kind of difficult and I had to have Chad help me but overall not bad, they lasted for a while. The second time was a breeze & I did it while he was sleeping, and these lasted for a while. The third time we had to really constrain him to get them on for some reason, it was not really traumatic per se but that's the best word I can come up with. It was more stressful than any of the other times but nothing crazy- don't get any ideas, lol! But that time he ripped them off! He would bite at them or somehow pull them on things- it was weird. I think he also shed his nails more often too- unless it was coincedental- maybe the stress? But they only lasted maybe a week!

I am going to try and put them on him again tomorrow while he's sleeping- we'll see how long this will last.

When they work like they're supposed to they are great! He wasn't scratching anything!! But now that he's not had them on as much he's tearing the couch up trying to get his fat butt up there
I have two kittens I will begin putting them on soon too... Overall I think they're worth it when you consider the consequences of them scratching.