What topic should I give my next speech on??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so here's the deal....I have a huge speech comming up soon in my Oral Communication class. It can be on any topic we choose....so i'm trying to figure out what I'd like to do my speech on. Right now i'm leaning towards something along the lines of animal rescue (whether with felines, pit bulls, or greyhounds as a result of the race parks) or sexual disorders (i'm doing a similar project on sexuality and sexual disfunctions in my Psych II class soon, so I might or might not do that in this one). There are a few topics that I'm not able to do my speech on because others have eithor taken them, or i've done them in the past :abortion, breast cancer, violence and abuse, drinking, drugs....). I'd like something fresh and interesting that an audience hasn't heard 5 times already. If I were giving a speech to you, what would you like me to discuss and talk about?? Any ideas??? Thanks guys!!!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I vote for Synesthesia or Erotomania....

Both are topics I think are very interesting!

Good luck with your speech.... I'm not a big fan of public speaking but being able to do a speech on what YOU want always made things sooo much easier for me!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about animal rescue of small dogs like Chihauha (sp?) that celebrities brought into fasion as "fasion statements". What happens to these dogs that belonged to Paris Hilton or Britney Spears when they decided to no longer carry them around?

Personally I have heard the pit bull and greyhound stories quite often.

good luck!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about TNR? More people could stand to learn a thing or two about it!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

How about animal rescue of small dogs like Chihauha (sp?) that celebrities brought into fasion as "fasion statements". What happens to these dogs that belonged to Paris Hilton or Britney Spears when they decided to no longer carry them around?

Personally I have heard the pit bull and greyhound stories quite often.

good luck!
I second that topic...I would also fit the carelessness and dangers of BYB's and Pet Stores in there...
This is a subject that needs to be discussed more and if all the students in your class go home thinking about it, that's great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the feedback everyone!
I'm personally leaning towards something along the lines of animal resuce (this will include tnr, the importance of proper ownership and responsibilty, spay/neuter....you get the point
if i do this topic). I think i would likely go with greyhound/ racing park theme and why gambling....results in the deaths of those animals (i've done a lot of adoption days for our local greyhound rescue organization, even though I don't own one, so it's a topic close to my heart.) I may also speak about the Confederate Flag (I noticed quite a response on that issue in the IMO thread...it may be a good topic to do a speech on..
), humm...or maybe the importance of being a responsible gun owner or something like that....ahhh, sooo many ideas, I just can't pick one lol....help!
/ Also Sarah Beez- thanks for those ideas- i've decided not to do my speech on sexuality/sexual disorders since i'm doing that in another class- but I am going to incorporate your suggestions into that project
Thanks!

(Also, I LOVE public speaking - I acted for years, so it doesn't bother me if the topic is a bit out of the ordinary or something most people would shy away from.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

ANIMAL RESCUE
that's what i'm leaning towards- I have a lot of experience in that field,so I think that I would be able to really inform my audience of the intersting aspects of that topic and be able to give them a lot of good info on it. I'm still deciding, but that one is definitely on my list

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ANIMAL RESCUE would be good, since you know so much about it.

or maybe, how important it is to get your animals fixed.
Show them how many unwanted pet animals are killed each year.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to jump in and vote for animal rescue. Anyway the word gets out, any way!!!! You may touch some hearts that wouldn't usually be touched. You have an opportunity to educate the uneducated!! Just my opinion!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Also Sarah Beez- thanks for those ideas- i've decided not to do my speech on sexuality/sexual disorders since i'm doing that in another class- but I am going to incorporate your suggestions into that project
Thanks!
I'm the only one that didn't recommend animal rescue- does that make me a bad person?!

I love psychology stuff & disorders though...

The Synesthesia probably wouldn't work for your sexual disorders one and Erotomania isn't necessarily sexual but I think you could tie it in. They both are really really interesting.

Anyway- good luck with your speech!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I'm the only one that didn't recommend animal rescue- does that make me a bad person?!

I love psychology stuff & disorders though...

The Synesthesia probably wouldn't work for your sexual disorders one and Erotomania isn't necessarily sexual but I think you could tie it in. They both are really really interesting.

Anyway- good luck with your speech!
lol, that doesn't make you bad....you've propbably heard a ton about rescue from everyone here on TCS, so I can't blame you for thinking about a new topic!
. I will tie in Erotomania into my Psych project- it fits in well
! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still not decided on my Speech topic yet, but as of right now I'm thinking it will be on animal rescue- and probably something related to dogs...the majority of people in that class own dogs....so I feel like that is a topic my audience will be recpetive to

Thanks for wishing me luck!!! Have a good one