So I found this ad on Craigslist.....

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I found this ad on Monday.

Help my mom is leaving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2006-10-07, 5:23PM CDT

My name is Hanna and I am a 12 yr old dog, soon to be 13. I have been loved to death all my life but my mom has to leave and she cant take me with her. She has been crying a lot and I want to be able to tell her that I have a good home to go to where a nice person or family will take care of me. I am house trained, come with my own toys, still love to run and play but also love to sleep in a nice sunny spot. She wants to make sure that my new family will love and take care of me like she did. Please help me make her feel better. She has to leave me by the 14th of October so please hurry!

Love and doggie licks,
Hanna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel bad for this dog. I know if I didn't respond she would be going to a pound. So, I emailed this lady and she emailed me back. She said I was the only person to answer her ad.

I have two older dogs (10 and 14) and I know I would be heart broken if I had to find new homes for them.

I am not sure what the reasons she has to leave and can't take Hanna with her.

She just called a couple of minutes ago and she is bringing Hanna over tonight.
I hope it all works out and we have a new doggie to love. I am at my limit for cats but if I can at least give this old girl a home for the rest of her senior years it will make us both very happy.

I will let you know how it goes.

Here are her pics that were also on Craigslist.

I will keep you all updated

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thanks for giving this girl a home!
She is beautiful
..Shepherd cross?...If this woman is rehoming her at this age, I am assuming its for a very good reason of some kind..Perhaps she is leaving a bad relationship or illness in the family or something?

Good luck and I hope you fall in love with her on sight. Keep us updated!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THat is so sad the such an old girl is having to find a new home! I am so glad that you are going to be able to give her a home!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sad for her but so wonderful for you! Thanks for helping them both!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That just warmed my heart when I read that you responded and Hanna's coming home to you to night !!!! Bless you for helping her. I hope everything goes well. And please keep us updated !!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I have to say is "YOU ROCK!!". Most people look right past an older dog or cat(as I learned the hard way with my 6 y/o foster). Hopefully everything works out & you have Hanna. If this woman lives near enough to you, are you planning on letting her visit?

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't you an angel! If I didn't have two young athletic dogs and a cat I would be very tempted to give a senior dog a home. They often are so well behaved, and don't demand that you hike with them 20 miles/wk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Oh thanks for giving this girl a home!
She is beautiful
..Shepherd cross?...
She said she thinks she has some shepherd in her but she is only about 35 pounds so not really sure. She looks she has some in her for the pics.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

All I have to say is "YOU ROCK!!". Most people look right past an older dog or cat(as I learned the hard way with my 6 y/o foster). Hopefully everything works out & you have Hanna. If this woman lives near enough to you, are you planning on letting her visit?
I just could not send her an email after I read the ad. I know almost 13 is old but my other dog is 14 and still going fine other than her hearing loss and some arthritis so my heart went out to her.

She mentioned on the phone several times about packing so I know she is moving I just don't know where or why. I am sure I will find out more tonight.

oh oh an hour and a half to go

Thanks all for the replies. You have me really feeling good about taking her in.

I will post more updates later

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hanna is now here. She is a sweety but a hog for food...lol

Her momma was so upset when she left. She was so afraid she would not find someone to take care of her.

She said her company has moved her to Flordia and she can share an apartment with her friend but her friend can not have any animals. She can not afford to get her own place at this time so that is why she had to give Hanna up for adoption.

The first meeting with my dogs was a little "sprited" but Hanna calmed down and it went okay from there.

My dogs Cassie and Queenie were hanging on Tracy like they were trying to comfort her that Hanna was in good hands.

The cats freaked...lol They are still hiding but I am sure they will slowly get along okay.

Hanna is laying in the kitchen and whining now and then looking for her mommy to come back in the door. I am sure she will be okay in the next couple weeks.

My BF re-adjusted the dog run for her so it is not so long and she can not get stuck on the deck or the garbage cans. We will make it longer again as she gets used to what is in the yard.

Well so far so good. She is getting used to us and we to her. I think she will work out fine.

Man, does she need a good brushing though...lol

Dog hair is flying as soon as you pet her.

Her mommy cried when she left. I gave her a big hug and told her that I would keep her updated on Hanna via email.

So far , so good

More updates tomorrow.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that post brought tears to my eyes.........I just could/would never give up my babies for anything, but I'm not judging this woman......she did what she had to do, and God bless you for taking her baby and giving Hanna a wonderful home........you are an angel!!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bless your heart for taking her in!
You are an angel and she is beauitful! It must have been really hard on her mom.
but thank God she's safe!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh isn't she a gorgeous dog? I saw that ad too and I have been trying to ask around and see if I can find someone intersted. I felt so bad for poor Hanna and the post was sad. I actually have her contact info written right next to me here becuase I was going to contact her soon and see if she still needed help.

That is great that you are taking her. I bet she is a wonderful dog.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the night went by okay other than 50% of the cats hiding with us in bed...lol

She decided that she wanted to sleep with my son in his room in the basement and that was fine. She came up the morning and I let her out with my dogs and fed her breakfast. She ate it all up and then just walked around inspecting more of the house.

All of the cats are afraid of her except for one. Jasper backs off from Hanna a little and won't let her completely sniff her but she will sit in the same room with out running. I asked my BF does he think Jasper is brave he said no she must have drawn the short straw...lol

We do have to come up with an area for the cats to eat. We usually leave dry food down all day but Hanna is a food hound. She must be fed just twice a day otherwise she will eat and eat and eat.

For now I have put their food and water in my bedroom and we are going to find a way to block off the upstairs at least until we can devise a better plan.
We don't have a door to our bedroom the stairs just go up and it opens into a large room.

She was whining a little this morning like she was just not sure what is going on yet. I am sure after a couple weeks she will get the routine down.

She really is a sweet girl. She knows sit and paw. She also knows the word no. When it seems she going to get up and chase a cat that is brave enough to travel from downstairs to up stairs we can say a firm "no" and she behaves.

She gets along great with my dogs. They have no issues right now that I can see. They just sniff each other as they pass by or ignore each other. Of course everyone is getting extra pets so nobody gets jealous.

I have already nick named her Hambone

Edit: I was thinking if she sleeps downstairs with my son again tonight do you think it would be okay if I have him close the door behind him. This way the cats can roam around at night without fear. Then I could also leave out their food at night for them to eat and put it up in the morning. I don't want to scare Hanna into thinking she is trapped. I mean she won't be alone, she will sleep with my son in bed like she did last night. I could just leave a bowl of water down their for her in case she gets thirsty.

What do ya think?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
poor lady, how awful, I'm so glad Hanna found a great home

ETA: I don't think that would be a problem, I'm sure if she needed to get out she'd wake your son up. my senior dogs sleep thru the whole night... in fact that don't even want to get up when i do

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so happy to read this update this a.m! I am sure you are right and she will adjust to her new home over the next couple of weeks.
Also keep in mind, that as she becomes more familiar, she may exhibit some
any misbehaviours that she does have...She is likely on her best behaviour now as she is unsure but as she gets comfortable around you, she may act out a bit..
Just so you don't think a behaviour may come out of nowhere!

But she sounds like an impressively well behaved girl and I am so glad she has found a great home to live out the rest of her life happily!

I think its fine for you to close the door to your son's room.
Just make sure she gets taken out right before bedtime..

Good luck!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was so wonderful of you to bring Hanna into your home. My heart just breaks for her though because I know she misses her mom so much. Poor baby
I just can't imagine being in this situation myself. I hope both mom and Hanna are able to find a way to make it through this tough time.

You're an angel to have taken her in

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a great success story!

It is my dream, when I have a larger house - to have more animals - ideally, when I am 'old' I want to foster animals too.