Radio question of the day: 10/12/12

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think is the solution to all of these shootings in the schools?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to have security in ALL the schools and safety cameras (like they have in stores)..just to make the kids safer.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with security guards at every school, metal detectors, any any other possible measure that can be taken to ensure they have a safe environment to learn in!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think getting good security for the schools themselves, checking ID for everyone going into and out of the buildings, and teaching kids to redirect their emotional issues into something healthy.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
this may be an unpopular, and slightly unrealistic way, but I vote to ban all guns, like in England
I know people kill people, not guns, but guns sure do make it a heck of a lot easier.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

this may be an unpopular, and slightly unrealistic way, but I vote to ban all guns, like in England
I know people kill people, not guns, but guns sure do make it a heck of a lot easier.
I would also vote for a ban on guns (also like here in Canada).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm against banning guns....when you start letting the government take away your right to bare arms, then you loose your rights as a US citizen (i'm specifically talking about America). Guns are inanement objects - they do not kill- people do. If guns are banned....people will still find ways to kill. In Memphis for instance in the past week people have been attacked with beer bottles, folding chairs, baseball bats, knives, you name it! (on news last night). I 100% support proper gun ownership and responsibility....ALL guns should be locked away in a safe - out of reach or knowledge to the children at all times....i think if a person fails to do so , they should be punished.....when parents are irresponsible gun owners...it makes it easy for the children to get access to them- this is what has been happening. I think that more effort needs to go into weapon education as well as what it means to be a responsible gun/knife owner. I also think that children should never be allowed to play with toy guns- it blurrs the lines and should a real gun be left out by an irresponsible parent...and a child confuse it, the consequences can be tragic if the think it's a toy. As an American citizen, I am happy that I have the right and privledge to be a responsible gun owner. I have been through the proper training, all guns are stored away proper behind a locked up gun safe in a locked and inaccessiable closet (even though I don't have children myself, my family members are over all the time and I would NEVER risk it.). There is a difference between being a responsible gun owner and an irresponsible one- this is what people need to remember. I think that the government should require all people who wish to obtain guns to attend educational classes on them that also cover proper storage of guns and how to keep them out of the hands of children. You can ban any weapon you want to, guns, knives, beer bottles, ...i could go on, but you will never prevent crimes without education.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mixed feelings about banning guns. My first gut reaction is to ban guns. If not that I agree with Nikki that there should be mandatory education for anyone who wants to own a gun. The problem is that people can go to all the mandatory classes but that does not ensure that they will do the right thing once they have that gun. Also, some of the kids who have taken guns into the schools stole them from their parents- from supposedly locked gun cabinets.

Unfortunately, there does need to be more and better security in the schools. It's sad that there have to be guards and metal detectors in the schools but that is the current reality. I can't imagine such a situation existing when I was in school.

Banning guns or more security will not solve the problem, however. There needs to be a change in attitude (value life as MoochNNoodles said) by both children and adults and there should be programs in the schools for kids who are having psychological/emotional/adjustment problems. Parents need to enforce values in the home. Parents need to be aware of what their kids are thinking and doing. They need to be aware that the child is having problems and get appropriate help. Same for teachers and other school personnel. Yes, I know, easier said than done.

Of course, none of this may be able to stop a situation like that at the Amish school. This was an adult who had severe problems that no one was aware of.

OK- I'm off my soapbox.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say homeschool everyone.

But being realistic, I say search EVERYONE that steps foot in that darn school before entering the door. With metal detectors, police, dogs, female/male security gaurds, the whole bit. It's obviously needed.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
everything you have said...plus the Parents play a big part!! Parent's need to raise their children differently....imo

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

to have security in ALL the schools and safety cameras (like they have in stores)..just to make the kids safer.
i agree I also think they need to take time to talk to the kids before something happens not just after. So kids know what to do or maybe that little chat might make someone think about what they are going to do too.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Good idea, but even with a ban we have a high gun crime rate (in Manchester, anyway)

We're having a gun amnesty and I'm really not sure how many people will actually hand them in

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Safety begins at home. You should have better parents - or at least parents who care about their children - mentally, physically and emotionally . Yes the schools can put up video cameras and metal detectors - but if the child is mentally wired wrong, even a paper clip can kill.