methods of discipline?

shimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to discipline Sable 4 times last night because she was being naughty, and usually when she does something bad she gets a tap on the backside - but not enough to hurt her in any way and gets put in the room between the shower and toilet in my bathroom. Last night she was really bad, climbing all over the benches in the kitchen so I sprayed her with a water bottle (not soaking her in any way, it was to get her attention) and put her in the room.

Everyone has different methods, what are yours?

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just say my cat's name in a scolding tone...and she knows exactly what I mean...so she usually gives me a "meow" back and then walks away...lol it's kinda funny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol, I tried that with Sable, but it doesnt work, she's a little rebel! you really gotta get through to her.

Heidy, Monty and Ozkar it works with though, maybe because they are older.

I did it to Monty today, he decided to climb into the wheelie bin and eat what was in there, he never realised he couldn't have gotten out! luckily I heard him scratching around in there! it was so funny when I looked in and found him and he just looked up at me innocently with his big eyes, aww

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Midir is naught he goes to puddy tat jail (another room where he'll lay down and go to sleep). He knows when he's naughty too, he's just a perpetual two year old, always pushing his boundaries. If he's doing something naughty and he so much as hears me move, he stops and runs somewhere else so it looks like he wasn't doing whatever I thought he was doing
He's such a deceitful little booger
After he get's released from puddy tat jail he is free to start his antics all over again (and he usually does). I've given up on training him, I just remove him from the situation and hope he forgets what he was doing.

Etain never misbehaves, she's way too lazy for that

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really discipline I guess. I don't think discipline applies to cats!

I generally use re-direction. If they are doing something they shouldn't be doing (but honestly, they have free run of the house so I can't think of something at the moment), I will say their name and then they usually come over to me and then I "talk to them" about what I expect of them...

(I know they don't understand me but it makes me feel better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Etain

When Midir is naught he goes to puddy tat jail (another room where he'll lay down and go to sleep). He knows when he's naughty too, he's just a perpetual two year old, always pushing his boundaries. If he's doing something naughty and he so much as hears me move, he stops and runs somewhere else so it looks like he wasn't doing whatever I thought he was doing
He's such a deceitful little booger
After he get's released from puddy tat jail he is free to start his antics all over again (and he usually does). I've given up on training him, I just remove him from the situation and hope he forgets what he was doing.

Etain never misbehaves, she's way too lazy for that
LOL Sable does the running away trick too! but usually when she goes to her room for a little while when I let her out she rub against my legs as a "sorry" and then she's usually goes and curls up somewhere and goes to sleep.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all I have to do for Luck is say "ah ah ahhhh" and she knows that's a no no. But I had to start with a mean "I mean business voice" saying "AH AH AHHH, GET OFF MY TABLE!" Now all I say is ah ah ahhh, lightly and she knows Momma means business. Now Louie, it doesn't matter what you do. He will keep trying to do what he's not supposed to. Even if you pick him up and holler right at his little adorable face, he will purr back at you. So the best "discipline" for him is to distract/deflect his attention elsewhere. (they say this is best for kids too, cause they don't get the attn they want by doing whatever it is that they're not supposed to!)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont punish my cats at all. They are cats that if they are up on a counter or the table, its their nature. Its my responsibility to clean it afterwards. If they play rough, cats usually do that, too. Cats play can really seem "rough" to humans when its actually play for them.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I dont punish my cats at all. They are cats that if they are up on a counter or the table, its their nature. Its my responsibility to clean it afterwards. If they play rough, cats usually do that, too. Cats play can really seem "rough" to humans when its actually play for them.
I don't worry about them jumping up on stuff, they are allowed to go where ever they darn well please. But as soon as the lights go out and we go to bed, Midir gets bored and starts doing all sorts of naughty things, he'll pick on Etain when she's trying to sleep, he'll start ripping apart catalogs and the mail, he'll slam cupboard doors over and over again, knock things over. It really seems like he's just trying to make a bunch of noise. He doesn't put up any resistance about "going to jail", and as soon as he's there he just lays down and goes to sleep. In fact sometimes he'll go willingly, I just stand by the door to his room, he runs in and lays down and I shut the door. During the day he often gets too frisky for Etain, he plays very rough (with teeth and claws, not dangerous but rough) she wants none of that and doesn't mind telling the whole neighborhood about it. So, if after being warned off a few times, he keeps going back to pick on her, then he goes to lock up for a time out, in those cases he generally comes out much sweeter and calmer
I think he could use a nice frisky play mate, he really seems to crave that sort of feline interaction and Etain wants nothing to do with him when he's feeling so playful, but I have been forbidden to even bring up the subject of a third kitty

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats tend to ignore me if I use a "tone of voice" so I stomp on the floor so they know they have dome somthing bad. Somtimes I even give them "time outs" one in one room one in the other. I can't say if it works but It makes my life easier

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Now Louie, it doesn't matter what you do. He will keep trying to do what he's not supposed to. Even if you pick him up and holler right at his little adorable face, he will purr back at you.
Ha ha that sounds like my Bob. Five month old boy with trouble on his mnd.

He can be getting into something and I will yell his name "Bob, get outta there" and he will try to get into it faster with that devilish face. It is like he knows if I am using a certain tone of voice that whatever he is into must be good or I wouldn't say anything at all.

I try to redirect his attention else where and sometimes it works and others times he just runs back into what ever he was not suppose to be into and I have to get him out again and again

None of my other cats really get into anything they are not suppose to. I don't have a kitchen or dining room table so no problems there. I once in a blue moon catch Moochie jumping down from the counter but he didn't get into anything. Oh and last week I caught Uno just sitting in the kitchen sink as pretty as she can be. I don't know what she was up to.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

I don't have a kitchen or dining room table so no problems there.
Well, then how do you make food?
..just kidding..I initially read that as "I don't have a kitchen.....or a dining room table" and I thought she has no kitchen???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, each kitty is different and responds differently to different techniques.
For most of my girls, a stern "NO 'name of kitty'" will suffice...and they'll immediately stop. If not, I will spray their bottoms with the water bottle- and that always works for those girls
. / However, my current foster kitten Kenzie is a whole other story!
....she's a little stinker when she wants to be lol... She LOVES water- so the waterbottle doesn't work....neither does a stern "NO"....so what I do instead is take a newspaper and whenever I catch her doing something bad....I will hit the floor beside her with it or my leg with it (never her)..and the noise startles her and causes her to stop that behavior. That seems to work so far
- She also has a biting issue at the moment which i'm trying to stop....haha, i'll let you know how that goes (right now when she bites my hand...I will gently thump her nose (not hard...just a light tap to startle her) and tell her "no bite" or take a newspaper and rattle it a bit to startle her with the noise. I'm definitely open to suggestions for Kenzie though.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

My cats rarely have to discipline me at all anymore. I pretty much do whatever they want.
Isn't that the truth. It's what the rest of us were afraid to admit!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceci does as she pleases. Right now she is still quite shy and when I get home she wont actually come to me, but as soon as I "force" her out of hiding she will roam the house. The other night she was crying and carrying on, and when I finally got enough of it I told her "SSSSHHHH go to sleep!" and she hid under the bed and actually went to sleep!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mostly I'll just say their names in my best "mean Meowmy" voice, but that rarely works so usually I just have to get up and remove them from the offending area, this involves the top of the rat cage which is basically the only place they're not supposed to be.