Any problems on Wellness food?

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bandit has been having diahrrea now for 5 weeks and my last call to the vet said that perhaps it's the Wellness food for kittens that we're feeding him because they've been switching ingredients to make it more affordable. He was okay on Royal Canin but I switched because of the better ingredients. Any of you have problems?

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They changed their dog formulas, but not the cat formulas.

Mine were on Wellness (canned only) for a long time, with great results. Now that they're raw fed they still get a can from time to time (when I'm lazy!)

Is it the canned or the dry that's making him have diarreah?

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he hasn't gotten into the trash, or into the leftovers in the sink, or fish food, or perhaps nibbled your plants? The reason I ask is because Bandit has a remarkable resemblence to my kitty Monty and that is something he does that gives him the runs.

edit: oh, and do you feed him milk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't think of anything that he could have gotten into. We have one plant that is high enough that he can't reach it. He was eating organic cat grass and so I threw it out yesterday morning to see what would happen. I don't think that he's eating leftover anything as DH is on top of keeping food out of site from the counters. All of our trash cans are inside cupboards too.

He's even starting to potty outside his litterbox. Not consistently though, just about once every few days. I think he just backs up the wrong way (we have a covered litter box and we think he does it accidentally). It's in the same spot every time that he does do it. I'm not sure when I should be concerned though.

Vet says his fecal test is negative for bacteria. We've been giving him an antibiotic just in case though (our puppy is on the same one too) as well as a probiotic.

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

Bandit has a remarkable resemblence to my kitty Monty.

edit: oh, and do you feed him milk?
Wow,they do look a lot alike!! Nope, we don't feed him milk. No cheese either or the like. Every now and again we give him "Bandit treats" which are the heart shaped Pounce treats when we give him meds. Can those go bad? He gets 1 every time we have to give him meds.

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Is it the canned or the dry that's making him have diarreah?
It's the dry food. Every now and again we'll give him a bite of canned food but not very often.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your new dry is likely to rich for kitty... Did you change over to the new food over a couple of weeks or days??...

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Your new dry is likely to rich for kitty... Did you change over to the new food over a couple of weeks or days??...
He's been on it now for nearly 2 months. He LOVES his food but you may be right. We switched him over 7 days.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay ... This may sound nuts( youll find I am
) ... If you have some of the old food left ... put 50 old 50 new and see if that doesnt fix it ... which formula are you using??

evert9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Okay ... This may sound nuts( youll find I am
) ... If you have some of the old food left ... put 50 old 50 new and see if that doesnt fix it ... which formula are you using??
Unfortunately we don't have any old food left but that's a good though. I'm using the kitten formula as he's only 9 mos old.