Need ya'lls help with a problem, please (ladies only)

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a phone call today from my gyno. (actually it was her secretary). She told me that the results from my pap smear last week came back and that it showed some abnormal cells and that instead of waiting another year for my next pap smear, they wanted to do another one in 6 months.

My question is.... what does it mean to have abnormal cells show up from my pap smear?

Should I be worried? (Oh, because I have been more than worried all day)

Should I get a second opinion now?

Any help to ease my mind is so appreciated!!
Thanks (and sorry I had to post this here but I dont have anyone else I can talk to about it)

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time it means nothing. If they're waiting 6 months and aren't doing a biopsy now, it means that there's probably nothing going on, they just want to be cautious. I wouldn't worry about it, most woman have an abnormal pap at least once in their lives.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't have any experience with this, but I think if it were me, I'd want another one done now. I have lost 2 very special women in my life to cancer and I have a friend who just underwent her last round of chemo (is already in remission!) I'm not sure exactly what to make of that or what, like I said, I really don't have experience with that. I'll deffinatley be praying for you.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This happens all the time, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, you could've just had an infection of some sort, coulda been the wrong time of the month ... I had an abnormal one once and didn't know for a long time cause I moved and didn't get my letter in the mail, no biggie though, I'm fine, it was a fluke.

But to really put your mind at ease, call the office and tell them you're nervous and you want the doctor to call and explain it to you, or at the very least the RN should call. And if you don't feel better, call again, be the sqeaky wheel

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your nervous about it (which I really don't blame you for being nervous/scared at all!) I'd call your Dr. and ask if you can come in earlier to get it checked out. 6 months is a long time to wait.

Sending many prayers to you hun

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I wouldn't wait 6 months. I'd go to have a second opinion as soon as possible and another pap smear. (Just to ease my mind
) That way you're not worrying for 6 months if something is wrong or not....go for a second opinion and a second test jsut to be sure. Try not to worry until you do so though....many times pap smears can have abnormal readings simply because of hormone changes or other variants....don't stress too much sweetie till you know what's going on. But to be safe, i'd get a second opinion- that way you can ease your mind a pinch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww!!! Thanks everyone!!!
I feel a little better. I think I am going to call in the morning, get my doctor to explain it all to me and depending on how I feel after that, I might ask for another pap smear sometime In November.

I have (for about a month) had alot of pressure on my bladder, which i thought was just a bladder infection. I have been drinking Cranberry juice (which usually cures that) but I still feel that same pressure. The pressure I feel is not a constant pressure, it is off and on. I am going to mention that to her tomorrow.

Hugs!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sometimes those tests just show an infection of some sorts. Or if you've been intimate with your SO, they will sometimes come back abnormal.
It could be the bladder infection causing it to show up abnormal.
Good luck and I am sening prayers your way that it is NOTHING!!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any number of things can cause a Pap to show abnormal cells. Also, the techs who read those things are overworked and DO make mistakes. Definitely have another one done.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a stretch of about 3-4 years, at every annual Pap test, it would come back "abnormal" and I would go back in a couple months and everything would be fine
I wouldn't worry to much

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

I got a phone call today from my gyno. (actually it was her secretary). She told me that the results from my pap smear last week came back and that it showed some abnormal cells and that instead of waiting another year for my next pap smear, they wanted to do another one in 6 months.

My question is.... what does it mean to have abnormal cells show up from my pap smear?

Should I be worried? (Oh, because I have been more than worried all day)

Should I get a second opinion now?

Any help to ease my mind is so appreciated!!
Thanks (and sorry I had to post this here but I dont have anyone else I can talk to about it)
I had this happen the year before last. They explained to me that it is common for cells to show up as abnormal from time to time and that I had nothing to worry about.
At my next exam everything was normal.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things like this are so stressful! I wouldn't get too worried about it yet. A lot of women have abnormal paps. If they thought it was serious they would have scheduled another or a biopsy. If it will ease your mind to go and get another then do it. I can't hurt anything!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get another one done as soon as possible. Labs can make mistakes, and give false abnormals.

Beyond that, and I do NOT want to be alarmist, but I speak from experience: an abnormal pap can mean that there are precancerous changes in the cells, and waiting too long to get it checked out can mean life or death in some cases.

I had an abnormal pap, tested abnormal again 3 months later, had a biopsy, then had to have a LEEP procedure done, which showed that I had cervical cancer that had started to metasticize, but I was very fortunate because they caught it before it had time to spread up the cervical canal into my uterus.

Don't mess with it - get another done ASAP. Better safe than sick and sorry.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'd get another one done as soon as possible. Labs can make mistakes, and give false abnormals.

Beyond that, and I do NOT want to be alarmist, but I speak from experience: an abnormal pap can mean that there are precancerous changes in the cells, and waiting too long to get it checked out can mean life or death in some cases.

I had an abnormal pap, tested abnormal again 3 months later, had a biopsy, then had to have a LEEP procedure done, which showed that I had cervical cancer that had started to metasticize, but I was very fortunate because they caught it before it had time to spread up the cervical canal into my uterus.

Don't mess with it - get another done ASAP. Better safe than sick and sorry.
I took my girls to school this morning and I talked to the secretary (I jabber away to her sometimes...
) and she said the same thing.

I am a big worry wart to begin with so I'm going to just go ahead and ask for another pap smear.
Thank you!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my share of abnormal paps... and one (unnecissary) biopsy and one colposcopy which is what the first Dr should have done instead of the biopsy. 6 months is a long time to wait though. My Dr. usually schedules another pap for 3 months if one of mine comes back abnormal.

Here's a really informative link for Abnormal Pap Smears There are different levels of abnormal.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I've had my share of abnormal paps... and one (unnecissary) biopsy and one colposcopy which is what the first Dr should have done instead of the biopsy. 6 months is a long time to wait though. My Dr. usually schedules another pap for 3 months if one of mine comes back abnormal.

Here's a really informative link for Abnormal Pap Smears There are different levels of abnormal.
Awesome!! Thank you for that link... I will check it out now!!!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like GingersMom, my abnormal Pap was followed up by a biopsy, which confirmed the presence of cancerous cells. I opted for a hysterectomy and have never regretted it. Turns out, it had gone past the cervix and I was developing fibroids, too. That was 15 years ago and I've been fine, ever since.