Trying to find a rabbit meat food for main cat meals

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boo is eating Natural Balance Venison & Pea right now. I told the vet rabbit had also been recommended and she said that would be even better. I found three brands on petfooddirect that I could give her for her meals and I am thinking that the PetGuard Rabbit & Rice might be my best bet, but would really like some advice, (SHARKY
), before I purchase. I've seen someone else giving rave reviews on Nature's Logic, but I am thinking this may not be so great for my Boo.
I was hoping to find rabbit with pea, but it all seems to be with rice or straight.

Sharky,
I know you have suggested Evangers in the past, but since that does not have the added supplements for a cat and this will be a major food for her I don't think I should get the plain meat.

Anyway.... here is a list of the ingredients of the two I've figured are best for us. BTW... I know Nature's Prairie Variety also has a rabbit meal, but it also has so many other fruits and vegetables that doesn't seem like the right choice either for a kitten with IBS. If I am wrong about that, please feel free to correct and educate me better. I am asking because I really don't know.

PetGuard Rabbit and Rice Dinner for Cats

Excellent alternative protein source for cats with allergies to chicken, beef, lamb, fish, etc. Highly digestible. No artificial flavorings, color, artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or sugars. 100% naturally complete cat food. No by-products.

Ingredients:

Water Sufficient for Processing, Rabbit, Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Supplement, Calciferol (source of Vitamin D2), Alpha Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Inositol, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Moisture (maximum) 76
Crude Protein (minimum) 6
Crude Fat (minimum) 2.5
Ash (maximum) 1.9
Crude Fiber (maximum) 1
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (minimum) 1
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (minimum) 0.8

Nature's Logic Natural Rabbit Dinner Fare Feline Canned Formula

Highly palatable and nutrient dense muscle meat and organ meat based can food with concentrates of select fruits and vegetables, containing no wheat, corn, rice, soy, potato or chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals or trace nutrients. Each can diet contains a unique source of highly digestible natural eggshell calcium and animal plasma containing high levels of natural vitamins, minerals, and albumin and globulin proteins.

Ingredients:
Rabbit, Water Sufficient for Processing, Rabbit Liver, Egg Product, Animal Plasma, Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite, Cottage Cheese, Brewers Yeast, Cod Liver Oil, Egg Shell, Apple, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Tomato Powder, Parsley, Blueberry, Cranberry, Apricots, Spinach, Artichoke, Broccoli, Carrots, Pumpkin, Kelp, Chicory Root, Rosemary.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Moisture 72
Crude Protein 10
Crude Fat 7
Crude Fiber 3

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natures variety , Natures logic( I havent used but
) and the petguard are great foods... Pm me I will detail your concerns as I am in alot of pain at the moment

You will likely want to find a basic supplement any how since rabbit contains no taurine and I am unsure about the added amounts( per my vet supplement if rabbit is only meat)

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about the Wysong Rabbit Au Jus? It's 100% meat, so you're only getting rabbit. It's meant for supplimental feeding though, it's not complete.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

What about the Wysong Rabbit Au Jus? It's 100% meat, so you're only getting rabbit. It's meant for supplimental feeding though, it's not complete.
I knew I forgot one ...lol.. Thank you
... Wysongs all meats are evendentally quite tasty

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im just wondering what all the hype is about rabbit?? im feeding my crew Wellness canned (different flavours) and wellness dry is always available to them. I thought wellness was supposed to be a top notch food..so tell me whats so good about rabbit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Thanks, I know about the Wysong, but again, I'd prefer something that has all the necessay num-nums in it for cats.

Maybe I should just pick up a couple of cans of the Nature's Variety at the Pet Supplies Plus and see how she does on it.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

im just wondering what all the hype is about rabbit?? im feeding my crew Wellness canned (different flavours) and wellness dry is always available to them. I thought wellness was supposed to be a top notch food..so tell me whats so good about rabbit!
The vet told me that rabbit is more palatable and closer to the natural foods they eat.

I've fed Wellness in the past a little bit, but I prefer to stay away from anything with garlic in it.

I don't have problems with my guys eating the food I buy which includes Eagle Pack, Felidae, California Natural and Innova, but I have one with a real sensitive tummy, (IBS), and most of the foods give her diarrhea which causes a problem with her prolapse anus. For her I need to find something quality that won't cause her problems.

I am so used to the old Ferals that have survived so many things and come here with iron stomachs. Boo is the first kitty I've ever encountered with sensitivities. The vet said that seems to happen a lot to those poor animals coming from the pound.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of the two you listed, I would suggest the PetGuard Rabbit and Rice...I'm not a huge fan of fruits and veggies etc. being added. Plain and simple is more my style, and this is a food I've recommended in the past.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the one who's using Nature's Logic dry food. It has done wonders for my cat's health. I'm only now starting to realize how sick she was when I got her last year. The allergies are much reduced, the asthma is (nearly) a thing of the past, and her heart defect was not apparent on her last vet visit.

There are of course other rabbit based foods. Nature's Prairie canned rabbit is excellent, Nature's Logic canned is also excellent (no chicken in this formula) but unfortunately Gizmo won't eat any of them.

Wysong's Rabbit au Jus is not a complete food so I do not buy it.

I am interested in the Petguard but once again, my personal cat won't eat canned. Your mileage may differ.

Rabbit is a great food for cats since it is close to their natural prey, mouse. Venison and beef can also caus allergic reactions, my vet told me.

so until they make a 'mouse flavour' cat food, rabbit is the way to go. All of the brands you mention are excellent. I will look up Evangers' rabbit as well; for some reason it is not sold in my local pet specialty store that carries all the other Evanger flavours.

But fear not...all of the rabbit and all of the brands are good. though from the analysis the nature's logic canned is far superior to the petguard...and I like the fact that it does not use synthesized chemical vitamins. This may have caused my cat's heart condition to improve,

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Venison and beef can also caus allergic reactions, my vet told me.
Beef has given a few foster cats of mine diarrhea without fail in the past. Don't know about venison (Although I will very soon as I ordered some CalNat venison and rice a few days ago). I think I'll see how the Petguard Rabbit treats them in a few weeks.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is also the IVD Rabbit and Pea diet from Royal Canin which is sold through vet clinics, although not all vet clinics carry them. It is a prescription diet, and is a limited ingredient diet without any other fruits and veggies, just rabbit and pea and a little salmon oil for a healthy shiny coat and of course vitamins and minerals.You would be able to order it from a website that carries prescription diets(I just don't know what that website is at the moment). Perhaps Pet Food Direct carries prescription diets too. If your concerned about by-products, the dry food has no by-products but the canned does have rabbit by-products. But I knew a free roaming cat in my grandparents neighborhood named Leo who caught canyon rabbits and ate the entire carcass, leaving hardly anything left but the cotton tail.

On the other hand that PetGuard Rabbit and Rice dinner looks like a good choice. Isn't brown rice lower on the glycemic index than peas? Plus I've never heard of a brown rice allergy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

There is also the IVD Rabbit and Pea diet from Royal Canin which is sold through vet clinics, although not all vet clinics carry them. It is a prescription diet, and is a limited ingredient diet without any other fruits and veggies, just rabbit and pea and a little salmon oil for a healthy shiny coat and of course vitamins and minerals.You would be able to order it from a website that carries prescription diets(I just don't know what that website is at the moment). Perhaps Pet Food Direct carries prescription diets too. If your concerned about by-products, the dry food has no by-products but the canned does have rabbit by-products. But I knew a free roaming cat in my grandparents neighborhood named Leo who caught canyon rabbits and ate the entire carcass, leaving hardly anything left but the cotton tail.

On the other hand that PetGuard Rabbit and Rice dinner looks like a good choice. Isn't brown rice lower on the glycemic index than peas? Plus I've never heard of a brown rice allergy.
HUmm yes I do think it is
the glycemic index
... I am off to find Out

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very interesting thread! My Damita is currently on Science Diet z'd for allegies. After 6 weeks, I plan to switch her to a different food. Rabbit was my choice, so this thread has helped a lot!

Just to clarify, brown rice isn't typically an allergen, but other rice's are? (sorry to hijack Trudy!)

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

This is a very interesting thread! My Damita is currently on Science Diet z'd for allegies. After 6 weeks, I plan to switch her to a different food. Rabbit was my choice, so this thread has helped a lot!

Just to clarify, brown rice isn't typically an allergen, but other rice's are? (sorry to hijack Trudy!)
That ain't hijackin', it's all about us learning and sharing!

But I knew a free roaming cat in my grandparents neighborhood named Leo who caught canyon rabbits and ate the entire carcass, leaving hardly anything left but the cotton tail.
Since posting this thread, I've been looking on the net at the formerly IVD, (now Royal Canin), Rabbit & Pea Veterinary Prescription Formula.
Yeah, when I first moved out here I remember mowing and seeing a bit< (a real little bit!), of rabbit fur left behind by a cat from a successful hunt.

I just called the vet hospital and told them to order me a case.
Here is a link for the Royal Canin Rabbit & Pea for anyone that may have an interest and wish to discuss it with your vet.

I see where the Rabbit By-Products come before Rabbit meat, but it only has Rabbit and Peas in it and it's not like it says meat by-products. As I said before, I know Nature's Variety Prairie makes a good product, but I don't want to give her something with all those veggies and fruit and I would rather she have the pea than the rice that comes in the others.

I just know I want my Boo to be able to eat wet food without always having diarrhea.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brown rice is less digestable than white... basically all brown rice has is a touch more fiber and some b vitamins that likely are cooked out ...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet originally prescribed the Royal Canin Rabbit and Pea. Unfortunately it's more like 'pea and rabbit' and was full of chemicals...so I tried the Nature's Logic and Gizmo's never looked back.
She would eat the Rabbit and Pea, but she LOVES the Nature's Logic.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Brown rice is less digestable than white... basically all brown rice has is a touch more fiber and some b vitamins that likely are cooked out ...
Fiber, that's good for hairballs. One thing I've always wanted to know, Is brown rice more digestible than corn?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Fiber, that's good for hairballs. One thing I've always wanted to know, Is brown rice more digestible than corn?
Brown rice from what little research on grain digestabilty and cats is appox 70% digestable ( white is appr 80%, some say 70 some say 90 ave is about 70) ... Corn the grit or grd is 30-50% and corn gluten runs about 65-76% ... so my long answer for short question is br rice is more digestable than corn

Read a fiber leval on a white rice bag and a br rice bag or can and youll see that the fiber levals are 95% of the time the same.... Think human for a minute ... white rice has 0-1 gram of fiber per 1/2-1 cup serving ... the same type of rice( yup type matters I am using reg med grain in example) in brown likely has 1-2 gram per serving

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evanger's rabbit meat is formulated for dogs only. Do not feed it to your cat since it will not contain enough taurine. This is probably the brand that someone's vet warned them against feeding to the cat.

Nature's Logic and Nature's Variety Prairie rabbit products have sufficient quantities of taurine for a cat.