Free ware

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone can recomend any good free photo shop style program. Something good for making nice backgrounds and layers. Thanks!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I have looked and looked. I think the best "free" stuff I have found is the software that comes with scanners or digital cameras, like Photodeluxe or Arcsoft camera suite. It is nowhere near as powerful as PS though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, I did mine w/ a combo of Arcsoft and MSPaint.

Thanks for the link Karen. I knew I forgot to do something before I posted this... like search for similar threads.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can pick up The Gimp for free from here http://www.gimp.org. It's a free program and works on Windows, Linux and Mac. I've had issues learning how to use it, so have just bought the book "Beginning Gimp".

You could do a similar thing, and pick up a Gimp book second hand for cheap, and do a heck of a lot of the same things Photoshop does for a whole lot less.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Paint.NETv2.72 was released on August 31st, 2006, and can be downloaded here:
www.getpaint.net. It's freeware, and has many of the tools found in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. There are tutorials right on the site, too.
I tried it, and as long as you are not already used to photoshop, it is a great starting place. It doesn't have brushes though - so you eventually may want to advance to Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro