For those of you who like to paint

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you paint a room, do you always make the ceiling a different color than the walls?? We are finally getting to paint our new bathroom this weekend, and the bottom of the walls will be a sage type green, then a sunflower border, then on the top of the border a very pale yellow...........is it ok to paint the ceilign this same yellow or should it be white or cream?????
I don't paint much, so I'm clueless. I would like it to be the pale yellow, but Debi here at work doesn't think it would look right...............

What do you all think?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ceilings are usually white. But, I think that in a smaller room such as a bathroom, it would look fine to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. Especially since you're using a lighter color such as yellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

My ceilings are usually white. But, I think that in a smaller room such as a bathroom, it would look fine to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. Especially since you're using a lighter color such as yellow.
Oh our bathroom is small, that's for sure........

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree the ceiling would look neat a lighter color.. I don't think I'd ever paint a ceiling a dark color,, but light color is okay..

My daughter's babysitter did a her kitchen in a burnt red, and tan,, and she did her ceiling in the a light tan,, and it looked marvelous...

So go for it.. Keep in mind that sage green might take several coats since it's darker color.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally have never seen a ceiling any other color than white, but then again I don't get out much
but I would think that even with the ceiling being a light color like yellow would kinda close the room in, like make it smaller seeming

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I personally have never seen a ceiling any other color than white, but then again I don't get out much
but I would think that even with the ceiling being a light color like yellow would kinda close the room in, like make it smaller seeming
I was wondering the same thing...........

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ceilings should always be a lighter color/shade than walls as it greatly helps to reflect light into the room.
I had actually planned something similar in the half bath downstairs, we have planned hunter green tile floor, vanity top and back splash with yellow grout, pale butter yellow walls and eggshell porcelein sink with eggshell ceiling

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I was wondering the same thing...........
I wonder if there is a website for interior design that you can post a question on and get a designer to answer??

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make a room look cozey the trend these days is to paint the ceiling a darker shade than the walls. To make a room more spaceious you should paint the ceiling a lighter color. Or so says my interior design friend.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

To make a room look cozey the trend these days is to paint the ceiling a darker shade than the walls. To make a room more spaceious you should paint the ceiling a lighter color. Or so says my interior design friend.
Spot on!

A white ceiling reflects more light back into the room, giving the impression of higher ceiling and more space, whereas a darker ceiling absorbs light and makes the room appear smaller - but this can work well with uplighters (rather than a ceiling pendant light-fitting) to give a warm and cosy atmosphere to a room. I imagine the latter would be great in a lovely cosy room with a log fire on winter evenings!

For a bathroom though, I would go with a white ceiling for very practical reasons - when shaving, putting on makeup, or trying to get a lash out of your eye, you want as much light as possible!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone of my ceilings in my home is painted a color. What was advised to us is that the color you paint the walls you ask for whats called 1/2 formula for the ceiling, which essentially is the same color as the walls but only 1/2 mixture of paint 1/2 mixture of water. That way its the exact same color but lighter.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Hummmm, I'm so confused.........

Dont they have those computer things and Home Dept and Lowes that you can take a picture of the room and see exactly what it will look like?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you all are saying, but I am just confused on what I'm going to do..............

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't do what the previous owners of my house did. They had the bathroom BRIGHT aquamarine, and the ceiling was a mint green.
Painting over that was one of the first things we did!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm all my ceilings are painted one of the 10 million shades of white!!. I do have two smaller powder rooms-one os a med tone blue and the other wainscoating lower half and a pumkin-ish color on the top half!! What youcould do is buy a quart of white paint (don't buy that "ceiling" paint-I would do satin or eggshell finish as its easier to wash and tint the color yourself with the yellow that you are using-no so white but its might blend better with the yeelow.
Yes there are "warm" and "cool" whites!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a cool white is best for a bathroom it reflects more light. Also you may wish to switch your current light bulbs for LED or crystal clear bulbs that are brighter to put on makeup etc.