Embarassing ? about my "maturing" little boy...

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, this is really embarassing....but here goes:

I wanted to get Louie neutered before he reached sexual maturity so I don't have a urinary war going on in my house. He is scheduled for Nov 4th. But researching it, I've found that male kittens can become sexually mature as early as 4mths, which is about now for Louie. And he isn't behaving differently, but when I was petting him the other day he was getting a little "excited".
And I noticed another time when LuckyGirl was grooming him he was in the same state. And I just want to know if this is something that is standard for boys, like with babies, sometimes it just happens-even as an infant, or is he starting to reach maturity early? I thought I was gonna die. I know, very immature
but I was really embarassed, and I was the only one home! Should I see if they can take him sooner? I don't want a spraying male with my domineering diva....please help.

get all your laughs out now....I told my hubby and he thought it was very funny too....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Davidson is about the same age as Louie (4 mos.) and I've noticed the same thing with him
So I think it may be normal? We are getting Davidson neutered in November - a little earlier than Harley, as we had a spraying problem with Harley when he was that age.

(By the way, I was a bit embarassed too, and I was the only one home as well
)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering why you people are looking at your kitties little you know whats!

Ferris is 4 1/2 months old now, his neuter date is set for 10/27, and maybe it's because his privates are such a light, buff color, but this is one thing that I have NOT noticed about him - nor am I looking!

I have noticed that he seems more stimulated at times, and I am chalking that up to his hormones starting up, but there's been no weirdness.

He's back to his love-buggy self, having seemingly forgotten all about our little spat the other day, and when I pet him, his butt has been going higher and higher up into the air, and he gets this little wild look in his eye, so I pat him for a moment then leave him be until he head-butts me for more.

I asked the vet to please neuter him at 4 months, but they refused, preferring 6 months. I got a compromise with the 27th, as he'll be just turning 5 months.

My, all these little boy kitties starting to stand at attention - is it a trend???

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Oooh

Sleeves was the same. He was doing all of that, grooming and getting his little mr out all the time, he even did something very strange to my hand while I was sleeping once. We got him done at 6 months and he had been behaving like that for about a month. He didn't spray ever though thankfully.
I think if you want to go ahead before November it would be ok. I think he's probably old enough now, but double check with your vet and they will let you know.
Im sure 4 months is the minimum so he's probably be ok

I know how you feel though, scars you for life seeing that doesn't it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

Believe me, when Sleeves was at that age, there was nothing you could do to avoid seeing his you know what!
no, really I think I may have screamed out loud!
Here I am minding my own business, watching General Hospital with my token kitty on my lap (see his Louie the love bug pics he is always on his back)....and he loves loves loves to be petted, massaged, cuddled. So I'm rubbing his little ears and his front paws, and he's laying there like jello, legs wide open, eyes rolled back in his head, completely enjoying himself!
plus his belly is very white with mild black stripes on the outside not the center, so his little pink thingy was plain to see! I immediatly stopped with the petting too!
(scarred for life doesn't begin to describe it!)

Thanks MacKenzie & Pombina,
it's nice to know I'm not alone!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari was fixed at 4 months. Both testicles had descended completely so he could be done.

However, I never know when he will try and wake me up by humping my forearm.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Ari was fixed at 4 months. Both testicles had descended completely so he could be done.

However, I never know when he will try and wake me up by humping my forearm.
if Louie did that I'd be
and waiting for him like this the next morning:

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! Eros is coming up on 4 months and both Orion and Hermes are almost 6 months (they and Nike are scheduled to be altered on Nov 2nd) and I have not noticed this trend with my boys (but like GingersMom said, I'm not looking!) but I'll be extra careful to keep my eyes averted

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Oh my! Eros is coming up on 4 months and both Orion and Hermes are almost 6 months (they and Nike are scheduled to be altered on Nov 2nd) and I have not noticed this trend with my boys (but like GingersMom said, I'm not looking!) but I'll be extra careful to keep my eyes averted
I know my Louie, well, he's definately a lover-boy!
If you pet him a bit he will lay all over you and purr like a motor boat...and he has the most handsome face, so I'm always outlining his little eyes, and tracing his little face (which he loves).....but geez louise! I had NOT planned for that!!! (my nephew freaked me out just as much @ 2mos old! I didn't know that happened to babies!!!
)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I know my Louie, well, he's definately a lover-boy!
If you pet him a bit he will lay all over you and purr like a motor boat...and he has the most handsome face, so I'm always outlining his little eyes, and tracing his little face (which he loves).....but geez louise! I had NOT planned for that!!! (my nephew freaked me out just as much @ 2mos old! I didn't know that happened to babies!!!
)
Hermes and Eros and both love-bugs too! they can get their excitement from somewhere else thank you! as long as its not Nike that is

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milo only ever did that once before he was neutered, and he wasn't neutered until he was over 1 yr because it was so expensive (he only had one testicle, they had to cut him open and search for the second one)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would never wait even until 4 months to neuter a male cat. I wouldn't want to risk any of the spraying or fighting. I have male kittens neutered at 2lbs. which is usually around 8 weeks or so. I would defiantely see if you could get him in sooner. There is no reason at all to wait until 4-6 months.

I don't know if you mentioned if LuckyGirl is spayed yet but starting right now I would keep them seperated.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in some areas vet's will not spay kitten's untill there 6 month's old , im in london and could not get my male and female spayed untill 5 and a half month's old

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Personally I would never wait even until 4 months to neuter a male cat. I wouldn't want to risk any of the spraying or fighting. I have male kittens neutered at 2lbs. which is usually around 8 weeks or so. I would defiantely see if you could get him in sooner. There is no reason at all to wait until 4-6 months.

I don't know if you mentioned if LuckyGirl is spayed yet but starting right now I would keep them seperated.
She is spayed, but thanks! I tried to get him done sooner, but he was too small, and since he's doubled in size they haven't have any appts open till November 4th! So I think I gotta wait.... he is not aggressive at all, and has not tried to "mount" anything, he will be 4 mos on Oct 30th. But I am anxious to get him done, just so it'll be over with.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I just got Orion and Hermes and the shelter they had been at didn't alter them, probably because they didn't want to waste the resources if they were going to have to be PTS anyway
and I had Eros and Nike's appt already scheduled, and to schedule the appt I got I had to do it in early Oct
plus with Eros and Nike's possible double-positive status they wanted to make extra sure they were strong and healthy enough
and they most definitely are now! Heather, do you know how much Louie weighs? Eros will be 4 months around the same time and when I took him to the vet 2 WEEKS AGO (so at 3 months) he weighed 4.1 lbs
yes he's my butterball

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceci was spayed at around 5months old, and she is a small girl. I could never deal with an intact cat, males spraying and wanting to wander, and females in an almost constant heat cycle *shudders*

katiemae1277: Eros must be a big boy! Ceci is approximately 7-8 months and she weighs about 5-6 pounds and is FAT

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

Don't be embarassed--I've had many male cats over the years; the un-neutered ones (this was when I was a kid--blame my parents for not neutering, though they always had the females spayed!) sometimes get aroused when you pet them in a normal way. I can't say I've ever noticed this with my neutered males (now that I'm an adult, my cats are ALWAYS neutered). However, I don't really get to see that area of their bodies for some reason; so I don't know if neutered males exhibit the same behavior as intact males. I guess boys will be boys...even in the cat world!

BTW, I recently had a female (Margaret) who suddenly went into heat just as we moved into our new house. The vet wanted to spay her at 5 months; I thought it would be better to do so at 6 months, hence the delay. Well, my Father-In-Law came down for a week to help us with home improvements; Marge went into heat! The funny thing is, she rubbed up only against (human) men in the house--my husband and his dad--which was quite embarassing! (My husband kept telling her, "I'm no good for you; I'm only trouble, trust me!")

I wouldn't worry too much about your males. I think their behavior seems quite normal--just ignore them, embarassing though it is.

MargeCat

Mother to: Margaret, Jasmine, Hobbes, Loki, Willi, and Marilyn + 3 foster babies

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, come on... they're just being cats. Cats are completely promiscuous--you can't judge them by human standards.