Strange happy behaviour

lueysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've been looking for more information on something my cat, Luey, does at least once a day. If she is very happy to see me she will run under the chair but where I can see her and lift only her hind legs up and down, like in a dance/marching motion. It is not kneeding, it is like she is stepping with her back legs. I know a lot of cats do the kneading with their front legs and she does this too but the hind leg dance she does is just so cute. I've had cats all my life and she is the first I've noticed doing this. Anyone ever witness a cat do this or know what the meaning behind it is, besides happiness or comfort? Is it very rare behaviour? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia does a "peek a boo" all the time with me! She will crunch down behind something and sneek up on me, it's a happy play thing. I think what you are saying is a bit of play and natural hunting instinct, they hide low and do this backfoot stepping action, then run up to the prey............... I love it when Maia does it, she can't resist, sometimes I will just duck down behind something and she will go right into that mode!

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah sounds like your kitten is playing around and is about to pounce when she kicks her legs like that. At least, that's what my Riley does when he is play-hunting, you know like chasing a spider or batting a bottle cap around. He crouches down, wriggles his rear end, springs up and down a bit, and then pounces. Is that what your kit is doing? It's very funny.
Or is she more like just so excited and happy that she can't keep her legs on the ground? When I scratch Riley on his back, just above his tail, he will raise his back legs up on tiptoes. Other than that, I dunno of anything similar to what your kitten does. It sounds really cute and adorable.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lueysMom

Hi, I've been looking for more information on something my cat, Luey, does at least once a day. If she is very happy to see me she will run under the chair but where I can see her and lift only her hind legs up and down, like in a dance/marching motion. It is not kneeding, it is like she is stepping with her back legs. I know a lot of cats do the kneading with their front legs and she does this too but the hind leg dance she does is just so cute. I've had cats all my life and she is the first I've noticed doing this. Anyone ever witness a cat do this or know what the meaning behind it is, besides happiness or comfort? Is it very rare behaviour? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Annie used to do that when she was in heat and hit her butt against something. LOL I dont know why your cat is doing it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Annie used to do that when she was in heat
I too am thinking about the kneading when in heat. This kneading reused in another connection...

jessicab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that it sounds like your kitten is playing. My solo does that and he is 6 weeks old. Whenever I leave and come back home he runs up to me than runs away and hides and does the pounce thing. I love though it's so cute.