Ready for solid foods?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are 4 weeks old now and I'm wondering if they are ready for solid foods yet. Reilly has been spending less and less time with them lately and they are getting baby teeth. Do you think it would hurt to introduce them to some solids?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you feed the mother in the same room as her kitten's if you do just leave the food out show them the bowlmaybe put ur finger in and let them lick it off they will pick it up sooner or later in some other thread's there is a lot of advise about this good luck

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try, but don't be surprised if they don't want it - all of my kittens (barn or pedigree) really did not start eating any kind of food till around 6 weeks old and even then, it took another 2 weeks to really get into eating.

4 weeks is pretty early. I'd make a soupy mix of kitten food and some kitten milk and put some on your fingers to see if they are interested in eating.

Warning: it will be MESSY

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

4 weeks is pretty early. I'd make a soupy mix of kitten food and some kitten milk and put some on your fingers to see if they are interested in eating.

Warning: it will be MESSY
I agree, you could try mixing some kitten wet food with some kitten milk replacement, or just try the milk alone in a bowl. If they're getting their teeth in, it's possible Mom doesn't want them nursing anymore!
And drinking milk from a shallow saucer will be a good stepping stone to mixing in the kitten wet food.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

I agree, you could try mixing some kitten wet food with some kitten milk replacement, or just try the milk alone in a bowl. If they're getting their teeth in, it's possible Mom doesn't want them nursing anymore!
And drinking milk from a shallow saucer will be a good stepping stone to mixing in the kitten wet food.

Good luck!
I think that's what's going on
And Reilly doesn't want to nurse the little boogers

I feed her with the kittens but it's always been dry in with them... We have to feed the wet in the other room or Jake will get it

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the orphan kits, I started at around 4 weeks old with mush.I mixed the formula and wet kitten food until it was really soupy.I showed the kits it by sticking their heads near the lid.Then I stuck my finger in it and put it in thier mouths.
It was MESSY!!!!They wore more than they ate,but it was a sucess.
Then at 5 weeks, I started making the mush a little thicker..............eventually adding dry kitten food with formula.Every day, I would make it drier and by 6 1/2 weeks old, they were ALL eating dry kitten food.
Have you tried giving them any formula on a lid to lap?That may help them learn to eat.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

With the orphan kits, I started at around 4 weeks old with mush.I mixed the formula and wet kitten food until it was really soupy.I showed the kits it by sticking their heads near the lid.Then I stuck my finger in it and put it in thier mouths.
It was MESSY!!!!They wore more than they ate,but it was a sucess.
Then at 5 weeks, I started making the mush a little thicker..............eventually adding dry kitten food with formula.Every day, I would make it drier and by 6 1/2 weeks old, they were ALL eating dry kitten food.
Have you tried giving them any formula on a lid to lap?That may help them learn to eat.
They refuse formula. I guess because they've always nursed and maybe it's not the same?
I am definatly going to try wet food today. When I had them out playing last night they were sniffing and licking Reilly's wet food. I think she's trying to wean them because she will just sit at the edge of the box and watch them only going in there to nurse them every once in awhile..and only for a short time when she does.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're licking the wet food, I think they are ready to try eating it.Atleast they are intrigued(sp) by the smell.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will only need about a teaspoon of canned food mixture to start them - not a lot cause it will be wasted. Put it on a paper plate (nice and flat) on a WASHABLE surface (like the bathroom floor).

What I did was make a little pile of food and put each kitten by its "pile" and put some food on my finger or around their mouths. They will be walking thru the food, getting quite messy as they have NO idea what it is. So be prepared for a clean up with washcloth and warm water afterwards.

Some kittens will get the idea quicker then others; be patient.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You will only need about a teaspoon of canned food mixture to start them - not a lot cause it will be wasted. Put it on a paper plate (nice and flat) on a WASHABLE surface (like the bathroom floor).

What I did was make a little pile of food and put each kitten by its "pile" and put some food on my finger or around their mouths. They will be walking thru the food, getting quite messy as they have NO idea what it is. So be prepared for a clean up with washcloth and warm water afterwards.

Some kittens will get the idea quicker then others; be patient.
Oh I remember it when Tiger and his littermates were being weaned