How to say this tactfully?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're going to have a housewarming party and I'm trying to put the e-invites together. Here's the problem: We're going to provide pop and food, and some beer/wine/mixers, but I know our friends and family. We can't afford to provide enough alcohol for all of those people! (They aren't lushes, OK some are, but they do enjoy their adult beverages.) So how can I tactfully say that?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here we just put a note at the bottom that says : BYOB, please!

Which means, Bring you own booze!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

We're going to have a housewarming party and I'm trying to put the e-invites together. Here's the problem: We're going to provide pop and food, and some beer/wine/mixers, but I know our friends and family. We can't afford to provide enough alcohol for all of those people! (They aren't lushes, OK some are, but they do enjoy their adult beverages.) So how can I tactfully say that?
I would just put BYOB.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem when organising my 21st a few years back!

The invites read something like this:
~~~~~The usual invite gumpf~~~~

My husband (Name) and Myself (Name) are happy to provide light snacks and soft drinks for the duration of our party. Wine/Beer, however, will be provided by us for a limited time during the evening so please feel free to bring your own so that we can ensure the party keeps going until the last person drops - or falls asleep on the lilo in the pool!

It's just a known fact in our home that we can only provide for so long and when its finished... its finished! Everyone who comes for a bbq knows to bring thier own!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe something like

please help us celebrate our new home. food, soft drinks, and beer will be provided.
feel free to bring another beverage if you prefer.

that way they will know you are providing only beer, and if they drink something else, they will bring it.

People generally bring bottles of wine for housewarmings.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you'll be fine Heidi, your always so polite & perfect anyways!

I agree with "feel free to BYOB if you wish to drink!" Some people will bring more than their share, like a bottle of wine, and you can offer it to guests that didn't bring anything as well.

(so exciting are you gonna register?! alot of people are doing that now!)

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with BYOB or just add a note that says to bring a drink if you are drinking to keep the party going.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

maybe something like

please help us celebrate our new home. food, soft drinks, and beer will be provided.
feel free to bring another beverage if you prefer.

that way they will know you are providing only beer, and if they drink something else, they will bring it.

People generally bring bottles of wine for housewarmings.
I agree with this. It seems standard to offer beer and maybe some wine, but if people want to drink coolers, liquor etc, then they can bring it along.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I agree with this. It seems standard to offer beer and maybe some wine, but if people want to drink coolers, liquor etc, then they can bring it along.
That's what we'll be doing for ours in a couple weeks.