Falling week old kitten

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well. I was cleaning the sheets in the mommy & kitties bed, and since it's next to a real bed, I put the kittens up on it with mommy cat. Not near the edge. I misjudged how mobile my week old kittens are, and my beautiful ginger baby went for a free fall from the bed to my hard wood floor. Now I don't think he landed on his head, but he may have slightly hit his head. He's eating, he's moving, he's crying like normal, so I don't think any damage, but those who have seen my other threads have seen that I worry too much. I love my cats & the newborn kittens and I obsess. I can't keep running to the vet all the time (they went to the vet today actually, Mommy & Kitties are fine and so is my other cat Jess.) Should I worry? God, I hope I haven't inadvertently caused any lasting damage

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww poor baby ..... I dont really know what to say ......... Im just keep the thread alive for you .........

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think as long as you keep a close eye on him and nothing changes, you'll be fine. Relax and enjoy the cat family!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
like the other posters said just keep an eye on them , we had a mishap just a min ago i had just frontlined my 8 week old kitten's so left them in the bedroom with the window open(locked so cannot be opened and not enough to let them out) i went to shut the bedroom door quick b4 they escaped and forest put her head through just really glad i didn't slam it shut but it was enough to make her cry out , so i'm keeping a watchfull eye on her just to make sure , they have been through it today , vac's wormer's and flee treatment now this poor little kittys

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very young kittens do not brace themselves if they fall. I'd keep an eye on the little one for a few days, just in case. But I've had kittens tumble off of the bed with no damage done

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I dropped little Smeagol from my arms (standing) to the floor a few days ago. I almost vomitted from fear and worry and guilt, but he seems to be none the worse for wear. I thought I had killed him!!!!

Good vibes that your kitty is ok!

dreamweaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know the old saying "cats always land on their feet" or cats have 9 lives"

They don't, but they are so resilent that not much in the way of falls hurt them. Just keep a good eye on the little one, I'm sure it will be just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He turned out okay, he really is a beautiful little thing. He is pure ginger, with little dots of white, but is going to have the long hair of my domestic norweigan forest male (long like a persian), and very possibly the same green/blue eyes that his father/grandmother (my eldest female cat) have.

reignsangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Autumnblueangel, I'm so glad the little one was okay after all.

I'm new to this forum and my first post, dreadfully belongs in this thread. I'm fostering a kitten for a local cat shelter, who is now a day from 2 weeks old. I was stimulating him to use the bathroom this morning. Afterwards I was drying him off and he slipped out of my hands.
I feel like the worst mommy in the world. How could I let this happen to him? He is so tiny and fragile. I'm the one who is supposed to help him thrive. This is my worst nightmare. He is bundled up in his warm nest sleeping right now. I dont know if I can ever forgive myself if I caused him harm.

Please pray for the baby

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReignsAngel

Autumnblueangel, I'm so glad the little one was okay after all.

I'm new to this forum and my first post, dreadfully belongs in this thread. I'm fostering a kitten for a local cat shelter, who is now a day from 2 weeks old. I was stimulating him to use the bathroom this morning. Afterwards I was drying him off and he slipped out of my hands.
I feel like the worst mommy in the world. How could I let this happen to him? He is so tiny and fragile. I'm the one who is supposed to help him thrive. This is my worst nightmare. He is bundled up in his warm nest sleeping right now. I dont know if I can ever forgive myself if I caused him harm.

Please pray for the baby
Don't be too hard on yourself....things like this happen. I'm sure this little one is ok. BTW...welcome to TCS.

Katie

reignsangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TNR1, thank you for your welcome. Its nice to be here. It seems like a caring community and I'm glad to be apart of it.

He seems to be doing well, but i'm keeping a close eye on him. Its just heartbreaking to see your little one go for a spill. Sorry I was freaking out, i've never dropped a kitten before.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here's my physics-major logical opinion on the falling kitten:

Kittens are so small that there's not much momentum when they hit the floor. If an animal can't brace itself for the landing, then the smaller the animal, the more likely to survive a fall. And their bones are still soft and growing and less likely to break.

Cats can and do survive falls from a high-rise building... a mouse that fell the same distance could well walk away without injury. Less weight=less momentum=less energy to disperse on impact. Not that anyone's about to test this theory, mind you. *shudder* Bad thought.

But a fall from a bed is so, so much less than a fall from a high-rise...

I think the kitten would have to last just the wrong way if a fall from someone's arms or someone's bed were to hurt it, because they are so small. Most likely your little ones will be fine.

*sends vibes*