Anyone Have A Cure For An Ingrown Toenail?

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ingrown toenail. I had it a couple of weeks ago, and it got really red and swollen, so I started putting Polysporin on it and the swelling went down. However, now it's back, bigger than ever, and nothing seems to work! Help! It hurts!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be trimmed out, as it won't go away but will keep getting worse as it grows into the skin of your toe.

If you can't trim it yourself, you'll need to see your doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping to avoid that! My daughter had a bad one years ago and they had to remove her nail!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry! But honestly, they only get worse, not better. I've had a couple, one trimmed by a doctor, and since then, I know to cut mine at the very first sign that it might be getting ingrown.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a recurring issue, they will have to go in and kill the sides of the nail bed. My husband had to have that done because his big toes (both feet) were constantly infected on both sides. It was very painful for him, and gross for everyone. But yes, it did have to be cut out first, let the infection go down, then they went in with acid on a q-tip (for lack of better terminology) to destroy part of the nail that was growing into his toe(s). He hasn't had a problem with them since.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I tried to cut it out the other night, but couldn't do it! I think I'm going to soak in a tub and try again!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

If it's a recurring issue, they will have to go in and kill the sides of the nail bed. My husband had to have that done because his big toes (both feet) were constantly infected on both sides. It was very painful for him, and gross for everyone. But yes, it did have to be cut out first, let the infection go down, then they went in with acid on a q-tip (for lack of better terminology) to destroy part of the nail that was growing into his toe(s). He hasn't had a problem with them since.
Same thing for two of my boys. My middle son had this done a year ago and has had not one ingrown toenail. My youngest is going over Christmas break to have it done to both his big toes.

Soaking it might help with cutting it out. I hope it feels better.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I had this done for one of my big toes. It wasnt infected so he could remove the ingrown part and immediately put the acid stuff to prevent further growth down into the skin. There was absolutely zero pain involved with the proceedure and I am so happy I had this done. I would highly recommend this !!!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I'd known about the "no pain" bit! Well, I had a nice long tub and then went at it again! No luck at first, but kept thinking about what my daughter went through and thinking "Don't give up"! Anyway, I managed to get part of the ingrown nail dug out enough that I could grab it with the manicure scissors. I got this huge pointy triangle out - that was the ingrown part. No wonder it hurt! Anyway, throbbing now, put some more antibiotic ointment on it and have it wrapped. Having a nice medicinal glass of wine right now!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! I've been dealing with one for DH lately. His problem was that after he had it cut out, when it was growing back it would start growing back in. I talked to a nurse friend and she said to look and see if I could gently ease the nail back over the skin. So we soaked it and every few days I'd just gently push the nail up with a cleaned file and clean the toe with antisceptic. It's now grown all the way out nail wise, but the quick is still gowing back, so I'm still cleaning it and making sure it doesn't get infected.

Glad you got it out on your own. Hope that's the last of it for you!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's over too! I never had many problems with them in the past, but it's weird that I got a couple of them this summer! Thanks for all of your help and encouragement! Gave me the courage (or intense fear) to stick at it till I got it out! Whew - the wine is kicking in and I've only had half a glass!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soak your foot with Epsom salts, that's supposed to work at getting the nail out

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm dealing with both big toenails, now. They aren't infected but, I use Outgrow - its a benzocaine liquid, which kills the pain. Then, I clip and dig.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of months ago I had an ingrown toe nail that was so bad I couldn't even put a shoe on the foot. It was swollen and store and the area where the nail was digging in was purple from the swelling.

I had my doctor look at it and he froze it and cut out the corner. Talk about instant relief!!!!!!!!

Nothing much you can do for an ingrown toe nail except to cut out the corner, and by the sounds of it your toe is infected and you really need to seek medical help from a doctor.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg!!!! This brings back horrible memories of my foot surgeries a few years back! (Not for ingrown toenails)...I had reconstructive surgery on both feet at once (I don't recommend it
)...it was aweful!!! ( I messed up my feet internally after years of dancing.- they had to completly redo the mid section of my left foot on the bottom of my foot- and my pinky toe on my right foot.) A few days after the surgery, I had to change the dressing.....well.....my feet started bleeding everywhere....and let's just say I screamed bloody murder and fainted....my mom walked into quite a site! To this day I hate anything to do with blood and feet lol.....I have to have another foot surgery eventually to fix my left foot- my doctor screwed it up during the surgery...so part of the bone pokes out when I walk...it's tiny though and you can't feel it too bad unless you wear uncomfortable shoes for a long amount of time. I hope your foot feels better!!!! Definitely have a doc take a look at it if is starts to get worse....(Make sure you get references of former patients though if you ever need surgery! I definitely made a mistake when I didn't do that!) Good luck sweetie- you're one brave woman to "operate" on yourself! I couldn't do it!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I was hoping to avoid that! My daughter had a bad one years ago and they had to remove her nail!
i did not read all the posts, Some say if you cut a V in the middle of the toe nail it will grow out. However from persoal XP does not work.

time to see your DOC