TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Multiple, and I do mean MULTIPLE cat owners....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multiple, and I do mean MULTIPLE cat owners....

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
For those of us with a large number of cats, how many litter boxes do you have versus the numbers of cats? I have 10 litter boxes for 13 cats, I know the "rule" is one per cat plus one, but with 13, 14 boxes is just not feasible, but if I scoop everyday, I really don't see there being a problem
post #2 of 17
I have 8 kitties inisde and I have 5 litter boxes, That's the same thing I do I keep them clean by doing it 4 or 5 times a day, I don't feel that it's a problem, and I use the Household surface wipes the disinfectant ones to wipe around all the edges & the lids at the same time, works good for me never have had any sick babies on wood
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint View Post
I have 8 kitties inisde and I have 5 litter boxes, That's the same thing I do I keep them clean by doing it 4 or 5 times a day, I don't feel that it's a problem, and I use the Household surface wipes the disinfectant ones to wipe around all the edges & the lids at the same time, works good for me never have had any sick babies on wood
Hmmm, I never thought about the disinfectant wipes might be worth a try!
post #4 of 17
I have 7 cats, 10 litterboxes. If your cats are happy with the current situation I don't see why you need to change it
post #5 of 17
I have recently switch to x-large rubber maid tubs. I use one big box of litter per tub. I have 9 cats and 5 tubs. I scoop everyday and never have problems with smell or accidents. I do plan on adding one more tub by Thanksgiving for the cat enclosure.

I think the 1 tub equals 2 normal size litter pans. I really like the idea of wipes for the sides.
post #6 of 17
I asked my vet and a few other professionals and all said try to keep it to two cats per box ... so 7 boxes for 14 cats.. so your ten seems right on
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
I have recently switch to x-large rubber maid tubs. I use one big box of litter per tub. I have 9 cats and 5 tubs. I scoop everyday and never have problems with smell or accidents. I do plan on adding one more tub by Thanksgiving for the cat enclosure.

I think the 1 tub equals 2 normal size litter pans. I really like the idea of wipes for the sides.
I don't know if you have Costco there, I buy there brand Kirkland you get 3 large containers and there big wipes, and there about $8 and change much cheaper the Lysol or name brands abd there bigger and they work great...Keeps the germs down also
post #8 of 17
I actually only have one box, but it's huge, as in, takes two people to move it when we take it out and clean it every week.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I actually only have one box, but it's huge, as in, takes two people to move it when we take it out and clean it every week.
I actually had the guy at the feed store recommend that I get a couple kiddie pools for litter boxes ummm, I don't think so
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I actually had the guy at the feed store recommend that I get a couple kiddie pools for litter boxes ummm, I don't think so
That's what my MIL uses for her sanctuary cats
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
That's what my MIL uses for her sanctuary cats
It's not a bad idea, but to have 2 open kiddie pools in my spare room? I would never be able to get them out again
post #12 of 17
Yeah, I can see where that might be an issue
Hers are in her basement, and it takes her a bit over an hour to scoop both out, and half a day to haul them both out and clean them.
She's also caring for over 20 cats at any given time.
post #13 of 17
I have 5 cats and 7 x-large rubber maid tubs. I scoop 1x a day and I really dont have to change the litter for at least 2 weeks.
post #14 of 17
I have 8 cats ATM and 7 boxes but one is an extra large dog litterbox.
post #15 of 17
I have 6 cats and 4 boxes, I scoop everyday and i havnt had a problem. However when my boyfriend was living with me it was his job to scoop the boxes, and he would do it maybe everyother day, and the kittens where having accidents on our blankets and couch, I didnt know why for the longest time, till I noticed he wasnt cleaning the boxes everyday
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
Hmmm, I never thought about the disinfectant wipes might be worth a try!
good idea! i have 3 boxes for 4 cats [small number compared to the rest of y'all, but still...] but they primarily use 2 of the 3 boxes. i empty those about twice a week. the third box i usually need to empty about once a month. i have littermaid boxes.
post #17 of 17
After last litter change went down to 7 boxes for 21 cats. scoop out at least 3 times a day and never any accidents. I think it depends alot on the personality of the cats(I had one years ago who thought he owned a box and if the other used it hed go search out a fresh one..at that time I used to have 4 cats and 3 boxes...I started putting out cardboard trays from cat food so hed be happy lol...he was very picky(aka ate 5 flavors of fancy feast and only if it was the floavor he wanted that night...RJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Multiple, and I do mean MULTIPLE cat owners....