Price of office visit?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just wanted to do a little survey here, what is the price of an office visit at the vet you go to? The one I was using was $39.50, but with my menagerie growing, that was getting a bit expensive, so I called around this morning and found a vet that only charged $23.00 for an office visit, but I couldn't get an appointment til next week, which is not an option right now as my littlest Ismene has a cold and she's very very tiny so I'm worried that she won't be able to fight it off very well so I need to get her on anti-biotics ASAP...anyhoo I called the vet that I used to take my animals to, which is in the next town, and he only charges $25 and I could bring the kitties in tonight. So that's who I'm going with, a little longer drive, but same day appointments at a lower price works for me!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think my vet office charges $15 for all species, which is awesome because it's the only clinic that treats exotics like rabbits and birds for an hour drive. A lot of other exotic vets charge a lot more. Of course, it takes forever to get in unless it's an emergency. Pretty much everyone at both the Humane Society and the no-kill animal sanctuary take their pets there, and they recommend it to everyone above the other 3 vets in town. So it can take weeks, sometimes months, to get in for a general check-up.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet charges $31 for an office call. He also operates a raptor sanctuary, and helps out the local humane society. His practice has gotten so big he's added another vet, so there's usually someone around when you need them. They're also really good about making time for repeat customers (like me).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lemme see....

COLPH(25 minutes away) charges $20 for a visit, $24 for an exam
Goldmount(10 minutes away) charges $22 for a visit/exam
WMVC(5 minutes away) charges $18...and he's not so good with much more than providing Rx diets for cheap & vaccinating....

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the vet near me charges 26.. No matter how many.. Like when I took in my Momma, and babies, it was just the one fee.. But the vet I use for the dogs in the past that I like, was like 37 a visit. and farther away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wat I don't understand, why if I am making ONE TRIP to the office is he charging me 2x?? Like when I took Nike and Eros in, I was in the exam room for like 20 mintues, he took their temp, weighed them, listend to their hearts and prescribed me some anti-biotics, how does that cost me $80????? What a rip-off!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the vets for a three town area charge 45-55 an office visit

Mine charges 31 for a full office call , 24 for a partial and occationally 0 for a quick recheck .... The prices are great and the service is too

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet practice I go to has three vets and charges $32.00 for an office call. If I take both cats in at the same time I get a $5.00 discount on the second office visit. I have always been able to get a sick cat in the same day including Saturday when they are only open four hours.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine is $45 for an office visit or house call for one animal, and they give discounts if you bring more than one animal at once.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just looked at my bill for todays' visit and the "office call" part must be built in. I had 3 cats in for their boosters, two got their rabies shots and one microchipped, plus picking up two tubes of Viralys and the total bill was $200.

I don't' see anything on it that specifies the office call, just a breakdown on all the shots and the lysine gel. So I pulled out a couple other bills and I don't see anything specifying office call on those either.

Of course I figure they are high dollar enough on everything individually. The thing is, I am using Care Credit which limits my choices, but they seem to be quite good with full facilities as a vet hospital. I had always considered checking them out when I read about the one vet starting up his practice here because he specializes in exotics. (I always figured they'd be too far out of my price range).

My last vet was pretty good, but her practice was small without a full range of equipment. When a cat had to spend the night there they were contained in a carrier and I was never overly thrilled with that.

I guess there's good and bad in everything and we all have to prioritize somewhere.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mine charges 22.50 for office visit , if you come in for shots ect and dont NEED to see him there is no visit fee, and if its a follow up he doesnt charge for visit or meds if there is a complications from anything done in his office, even if the kitty is to blame lol.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At our vets it's called an exam....$45.
That is when the vet walks into the room.

Every thing else is extra.....everything.

But our furbabies are like our children...
we gotta do what we gotta do.

keeba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine charges $38. We are going there Saturday for the first time. The vet is supposed to be excellent - he won a lifetime achievement award for his work. Hopefully it's a good place.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Vet charges $45 for an office vist and $20 for a recheck. It's a cat only office that now has 3 doctors. I can easily get a same day appointment for non-routine visits (Princess gets sick ALL the time). They are really good when it comes to dealing with Princess, who becomes psycho kitty as soon as she enters the exam room. The vets there seem to go above and beyond when it comes to caring for my cats. One has even given me her home phone number in case I had questions/concerns at night or Sundays regarding Princess when she was very sick. On top of that she called me several times to check on Princess on her day off.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We charge $37.00 for the office visit with the full examination; $43.00 if the person brings in 2 cats; and $54.00 for 3 or more. We are a feline only practice in a subrban area of a large city.

If a cat needs to come back for a recheck, that charge is $23.00.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

We charge $37.00 for the office visit with the full examination; $43.00 if the person brings in 2 cats; and $54.00 for 3 or more. We are a feline only practice in a subrban area of a large city.

If a cat needs to come back for a recheck, that charge is $23.00.
What city? I'm in Ohio too
Originally Posted by Shay's Human

Shay's Vet charges $10 for an office visit.
Wow
I think you win for lowest price!!

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Toledo.

The exam includes: the office call charge, I get the weight, history, temp, answer any questions, and I perform a "preliminary" exam so that way if I find anything abnormal I can let the dr. know. Then the vet goes in and does full examination which includes: teeth/mouth/throat, eyes, ears, skin, lymph nodes, heart/lungs, palpates the abdomen, etc.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet does check ups in my home. He used to charge me $35.00 for each cat. Then he changed it to $55.00 for all of them.