what is the reason?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as most of you know my kitten's are nearly 9 week's old end of this week , tomorrow they are going for there first jab's ( maybe apart from one who seem's to have a bug) but she will be getting checked over first there also getting there wormer's and flee stuff ( as i saw a flee on my older kitten)
anyway my q is the vet when i spoke to them today said about rehomeing them and to make sure that i was keeping 1 with the mum i said i was only rehomeing 1 to my sister and that i was keeping the other 2 , well now it's bugging me why as some people do not keep any of the kitten's can anyone shed some light on this please lol

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, time, money and space and most likely it would be a lack of the 3.

I know I would really like to keep 2 kittens, but only if my budget allows for it. I'd rather have my kittens in homes that can finacially support them even if that means they can't be in mine.

They are so darn cute!!! I'll probably bawl for a week after they go to their furever homes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry maybe i didnt word it right , she wanted to make sure i was keeping at least 1 of her kitten's with her

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is something I have never heard of, and prob isn't done with most rescues. And i know from a behaviourist that keeping mum and son is a bad combination, the mum tends to have issues with them when they hit sexual maturity as they woudltn still be in the 'fold'.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was breeding my rexes, I only kept one or two for me personally to show. I had homes lined up before the kittens were born for people wanting a rex.

You can't keep ALL that you breed - you'd have way too many cats (and a lot in expenses in spaying/neutering.

I held onto the kittens till they were 4 months old before going to new homes. But that's cause I wanted them to have all shots, etc. and rex kittens are not physically/mentally ready for new homes under 4 months old.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

as most of you know my kitten's are nearly 9 week's old end of this week , tomorrow they are going for there first jab's ( maybe apart from one who seem's to have a bug) but she will be getting checked over first there also getting there wormer's and flee stuff ( as i saw a flee on my older kitten)
anyway my q is the vet when i spoke to them today said about rehomeing them and to make sure that i was keeping 1 with the mum i said i was only rehomeing 1 to my sister and that i was keeping the other 2 , well now it's bugging me why as some people do not keep any of the kitten's can anyone shed some light on this please lol
You may want to ask the vet why she recommends keeping one kitten and then post her response here. I've never heard of that recommendation and I've seen some mothers who actually do best without any of their kittens...so I really think it has more to do with the individual mother than as a standard recommendation.

Katie

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok i shall ask them when i go up there this afternoon both of the one's i am keeping are both female's so i shouldn't have a problem i hope lol the male *midnight* is going to my sister who will be getting him netured (i'm doing shot's) for him

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok they had there vac's done wormer done and frontline spray ( say's it can be used on kitten's from 2 day's old) i asked the vet why i should keep at least one of the kitten's she said because cat's don't like being on there own they like company , i said i have 4 other cat's at home she said oh she will be fine then , i said i am keeping 2 anyway and she said that it was a good idea but maybe my sister could get a rescue cat/kitten to go with midnight * which she can not to do at the moment as she is living with my mum and she has 2 cat's and she will not allow any more after midnight* so all seem's good all the cat's at the moment hate me coz they all have had there womer's lol got the scratch's to prove it lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most times mom cat does not want ANY of her own kittens around - male or female. They would accept a "stranger" better.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i was growing up my mum took in a stray who was pregnant when the kitten's were 9 weeks old the mother started to attack them so i do understand what you are saying we had to phone a rescue to take the kitten's as tinker would bite that hard she would pierce there skin and at the time we couldn't rehome them no matter how hard we tried , i am just hoping that we have better luck our house is a bit bigger then my mum's was and most of the cat's have there own *space* if needed so finger's crossed as we have grown so attached and i wouldn't dream of putting a cat/kitten in to a rescue and i would not rehome one to someone i didn't know as they are my baby's

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably depends on the cat, 5 of mine are Missys kittens they're 18 months old now and all get along just fine. She still calls them over to groom them