Female cat and hasn't been in heat?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a odd situation. I have a friend who has a female cat. The cat is about a year and half old now. She has never been in heat. She has had her since she was 9 weeks old. I keep urging her to get her spayed. But she thinks that as the cat has a problem that she won't ever go in heat as she hasn't yet theres no need to put her through surgery to be spayed.. Has anyone heard of a female that doesn't go in heat?
And I'm wondering if she really never does go into heat should she be spayed. I have told her to take the cat to the vets and ask him these queastions. But you can only do so much with friends and so far she hasn't taken her in since her kitten shots.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have a silent heat were they don't display the outward signs. My bobber was like this. Sometimes you knew she was in heat but most of the times she had to outward symptoms. She still can get pg and should get spayed. In bobber's case she had lesions/tumours on her ovaries.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While its possible she hasn't been in heat, she may be one that is a "silent" heat and you just don't notice it. Your friend risks the cat getting early cancer or pyrometria by being unspayed and not bred.

Keep pushing to get the cat spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard about silent heat. Thanks for the heads up.This cat is a indor outdoor cat and has yet to get pregnant. Shes let out for a few hours in the daytime..Gail after reading about your Bobber I called my friend and told her that your cat had Lesions/tumors on her overies. My friend decided to call the vet and the vet said definately get her spayed and shes doing that Friday. The vet said its also a good way for him to visulize the pelvic area to make sure theres no cancer/tumors.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad your friend is finally getting her cat spayed, esp as she has been letting her out unneutered. Fingers crossed for her.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I haven't heard about silent heat. Thanks for the heads up.This cat is a indor outdoor cat and has yet to get pregnant. Shes let out for a few hours in the daytime..Gail after reading about your Bobber I called my friend and told her that your cat had Lesions/tumors on her overies. My friend decided to call the vet and the vet said definately get her spayed and shes doing that Friday. The vet said its also a good way for him to visulize the pelvic area to make sure theres no cancer/tumors.
yeey, welldone!
hope everything goes well on friday & there's no abnormalities- fingers crossed

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, am happy it didn't take too much more of bugging to get her spayed. Your friend will be glad she did - no more worries