How Soon can you tell if a cat is preg?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

Do they do a blood test? how soon can you tell if shes preg?
Jaclyn...that is a very good question. Most sites on line will list signs of pregnancy...and your vet can feel for developing fetuses around 5 weeks into the pregnancy. To my knowledge, there aren't any blood tests that are performed to confirm pregnancy. A couple of resources are below and don't forget to visit Gaye's links regarding pregnancy in the sticky at the top of the forum.

http://cats.about.com/od/reproductio...nant_signs.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybi...h_2.htm?comply

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for me, I didn't need a vet to tell me my queens were preggers. THe one I took in was intentially bred before the owner decided they had to move and they weren't going to take the cats with them and then my other queen got out while she was in heat for 3-4 hours so if that is the same in your case, she's most likely preggers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know approximately when she was bred, its usually about 3 - 3 1/2 weeks pregnant to tell - their nipples get bright pink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im in such a toss up! I don't know if she is for sure pregnant... as the vet wouldn't spay Kinsey because she had a fever and a severe URI but she was constantly escaping outside no matter what we did (honestly)... I dont know if i should do a spay/abort or not....i feel awful

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if you are comfortable with the idea of spay-aborts, then that is the route I would personally take. I didn't know much about them and how bad the population problem was until a recent IMO thread on spay-aborts and it's really opened my eyes to the problem. If I had known about that option in time for my girls, that is the route I would have taken even now that I have the kittens.

My reasons why: 1. it is much more costly to raise 11 kittens and be responsible about them ie. spaying/neutering each kitten before they find new homes.
2. What if I can't rehome 11 kittens?
3. It is much healthier for the mama just to spayed then to have kittens.
4.The overpopulation of cats and dogs
5. thousand upon thousands of kittens and cats are put to sleep each day. If I didn't have 11 kittens now, I could be potentially be helping another cat/kitten who would be put to sleep.

I don't mean to push any of my ideas onto you. I think you should do what you are comfortable with. I wish you all the best in making such an important decision (and tought too).

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

I dont know if i should do a spay/abort or not....i feel awful
Jaclyn....no one on this board can answer that question for you. Some of the members of TCS have opted to get a spay/abort done because they did not want to have their mother cat go through another pregnancy..some have opted to allow the cat to continue with her pregnnancy. What I would recommend you do is to talk to your vet...the fact is...your vet may not want to perform a spay/abort if she continues to have a URI, but given how sick she is....carrying a litter may not be healthy for her either. As to her escaping..is there ANYTHING that you can do to keep her contained indoors?? I'm truly worried about her since she is sick and intact.

Katie

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok i know im no expert but having very recently gone and still going through this,im stick my bit in.
my cat is pregnant and the reason i assumed she was pregnant had nothing to do with pink nips!!!she is due any day now and her nipples still are not that pink,they are very very pale pink about the same as before only crusty lol.but she has a big fat tummy like she ate a football(english one i mean)
she will let you know herself if she is anything like bonnie,so much more affectionate!!!!!
as for spay abort its your call personally i couldnt i felt awful but as i said its personal,whatever you decide good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Katie

you were right my vet Will not perform the spay abort. I fee terrible about this because she is young... but it will be worse if she has the op. so she will carry full term...and unfortunatly for her... she is going to be kept in a dog crate a large one so she cant escape anymore.